How to treat hair algae

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon 1 year old aquarium that is getting patches of hair algae on the rocks, and getting worse. I have several hermits ,snails a sail fin tang and fox face but they don’t touch it. I also have several soft and LPS corals. I’m trying to decide if I should use vibrant or introduce some emerald crabs. I have some small yellow watchman goobies and I’m concerned the emeralds will hurt them. I also have a refugium with Chaeto and sea lettuce. I can remove the Chaeto and sea lettuce and put it in another tank for a few weeks so i can use the vibrant if needed. Nitrates 25 ppm Phosphate .04 although phosphates peaked a couple weeks ago due to overfeeding at .17. I am running a BRS carbon and phosphate reactor and a skimmer.
My question is, without overreacting what should be my next step. Should I introduce the emerald crabs and take a chance that they wont hurt the yellow watchman gobies and corals or should i remove the Chaeto for a couple of months and go with the vibrant?
Please advise?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a sea hare for a week it will get rid of the algae. I would avoid the chemicals if possible.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote no on crabs. I'm anti-crab.

If you search here you will find tons of success stories controlling GHA with hydrogen peroxide dosing. You may need to remove macro algae first.

I had some pop up after a dino outbreak. I dosed 1ml/10 gallon of h202 and squirted it directly on the algae. It was gone within a week. Watched it turn white and melt away. Even patches I didn't directly squirt.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d fuel up the shears and cut it down close to the rocks .
if it’s cut down tangs , fox face and cuc might clean up the rest .
The reason you’re testing lower phosphates and nitrates is it’s tied up in the hair algae .

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Vibrant, but use less than the recommended dose. It really did clean up my tank. Set up another fuge for the macro algae like you said.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back