How to treat hair algae

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon 1 year old aquarium that is getting patches of hair algae on the rocks, and getting worse. I have several hermits ,snails a sail fin tang and fox face but they don’t touch it. I also have several soft and LPS corals. I’m trying to decide if I should use vibrant or introduce some emerald crabs. I have some small yellow watchman goobies and I’m concerned the emeralds will hurt them. I also have a refugium with Chaeto and sea lettuce. I can remove the Chaeto and sea lettuce and put it in another tank for a few weeks so i can use the vibrant if needed. Nitrates 25 ppm Phosphate .04 although phosphates peaked a couple weeks ago due to overfeeding at .17. I am running a BRS carbon and phosphate reactor and a skimmer.
My question is, without overreacting what should be my next step. Should I introduce the emerald crabs and take a chance that they wont hurt the yellow watchman gobies and corals or should i remove the Chaeto for a couple of months and go with the vibrant?
Please advise?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a sea hare for a week it will get rid of the algae. I would avoid the chemicals if possible.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote no on crabs. I'm anti-crab.

If you search here you will find tons of success stories controlling GHA with hydrogen peroxide dosing. You may need to remove macro algae first.

I had some pop up after a dino outbreak. I dosed 1ml/10 gallon of h202 and squirted it directly on the algae. It was gone within a week. Watched it turn white and melt away. Even patches I didn't directly squirt.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d fuel up the shears and cut it down close to the rocks .
if it’s cut down tangs , fox face and cuc might clean up the rest .
The reason you’re testing lower phosphates and nitrates is it’s tied up in the hair algae .

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Vibrant, but use less than the recommended dose. It really did clean up my tank. Set up another fuge for the macro algae like you said.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back