How to up bacteria diversity

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tldr. I've been running a tank (525xl) for 3 1/2yrs and have success with lps and softies but I want to get into sps and have an sps dominant tank but im running into an issue where I keep sps and they look good for a few weeks and then they dont. I've kept things stable and despite that they don't at least stay alive, though recently a birdsnest and wd have been okay till it wasn't even though polyps were extended(namely birdsnest, wd is doing okay). What can I do to have success with sps? Would upping my bacteria diversity be key or?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of would be eco balance for reefs and pns probio. However, could you list your lights and water parameters as well as what you dose and how you dose it (such as where).

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B uses sludge from Long Island Sound (NY) and feeds live clams....both of which add biodiversity, and Paul claims, make his fish like Superman (or was it Supermodels), where no diseases dare consider taking up residence.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know anyone who has a successful sps system asK if you can put some rock in their sump for a bit. Let it cure for at least a month in their water then move it to your tank. Good biodiversity!

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of would be eco balance for reefs and pns probio. However, could you list your lights and water parameters as well as what you dose and how you dose it (such as where).

I have 3 xr15s at the moment will be getting a g5 xr30 for better spread. Running at 55%, changed from 80%

Sg 1.026
Alk- 7.5
Cal- 500
Mag- 1350
N03- 5ppm
P04- 0.04
Been stable aside from getting things back in order like sg which was at 1.024 to 1.026 and mag from 1280 to 1350 and p04 from 0 to 0.04 and let alk dwindle from 8 to 7.5

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B uses sludge from Long Island Sound (NY) and feeds live clams....both of which add biodiversity, and Paul claims, make his fish like Superman (or was it Supermodels), where no diseases dare consider taking up residence.

Is there a website or a good place to get this sludge and where should I put it when I get it?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a website or a good place to get this sludge and where should I put it when I get it?

@Paul B is going to have to answer that one.....I have no idea....but he talks about it all the time. I've "tagged" him so he should see this and respond.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a believer that quality live rock can really help a tank that needs more diversity. I have had five tanks over the past 10yrs. All with what would be considered quality equipment (radions/vortecs etc) but I always struggled with acros. They do okay but never thrived or lived long. Non of the tanks were up for more than three years either though.

My most recent tank was started with dry rock but seeded with live rock (KP Aquatics). Im having no trouble with my acros, besides my pink lemonade which has good color but low polyp extension. They are growing and keeping color. I honestly believe this live rock is the reason.

That said, people can have beautiful sps with dry rock. But my gut is telling me live rock is just too beneficial to leave out.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a believer that quality live rock can really help a tank that needs more diversity. I have had five tanks over the past 10yrs. All with what would be considered quality equipment (radions/vortecs etc) but I always struggled with acros. They do okay but never thrived or lived long. Non of the tanks were up for more than three years either though.

My most recent tank was started with dry rock but seeded with live rock (KP Aquatics). Im having no trouble with my acros, besides my pink lemonade which has good color but low polyp extension. They are growing and keeping color. I honestly believe this live rock is the reason.

That said, people can have beautiful sps with dry rock. But my gut is telling me live rock is just too beneficial to leave out.

How much should I add?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much should I add?

I don’t believe there is a set amount. I added 15lbs and got plenty of life. This is in a Waterbox Marine 70.3. I was lucky not to get any bad stuff. I just dropped it in my main display and told myself I would deal with anything bad if needed. Whether I had to trap crabs/worms. I wanted to minimize die off. My next tank will be all KP live rock. It works for me. Some people rather use dry and you can definitely have success that way too.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe there is a set amount. I added 15lbs and got plenty of life. This is in a Waterbox Marine 70.3. I was lucky not to get any bad stuff. I just dropped it in my main display and told myself I would deal with anything bad if needed. Whether I had to trap crabs/worms. I wanted to minimize die off. My next tank will be all KP live rock. It works for me. Some people rather use dry and you can definitely have success that way too.

The Uncured live rock?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Uncured live rock?

I bought this one. Pricey. But good.
74DB7092-F6E6-404D-A2CB-2564A20A4F5A.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 xr15s at the moment will be getting a g5 xr30 for better spread. Running at 55%, changed from 80%

Sg 1.026
Alk- 7.5
Cal- 500
Mag- 1350
N03- 5ppm
P04- 0.04
Been stable aside from getting things back in order like sg which was at 1.024 to 1.026 and mag from 1280 to 1350 and p04 from 0 to 0.04 and let alk dwindle from 8 to 7.5

I would really consider pns probio. You can read about it on algaebarn. It is less risky than love rock. I don't know of any other brand that sells this kind of bacteria.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I go to a muddy salt water tide pool or bay and scoop it up.

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I wish I had that around but im over in ontario...
Hey im in Ontario too! I'm a new reefer(my first tank hasn't even arrived yet lol) and have came across your thread in my research. Were you able to find a successful method of introducing biodiversity to your system that is available here to us in Ontario? I'd love to connect with some local reefers here and learn more about this hobby from people with experience.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back