How to upgrade tank safely

Roger23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m 3 months in to the hobby with my 100 gallon tank.I have 3 tangs,2 clown fish,3 anthias fish and our fox face,about 10 coral,2cleaner shrimp,a goby,1 urchin 30 snails and 3 bubble tip,im upgrading to a water box peninsula 7225,230 gallon tank Saturday,got 3 dead rocks with my new tank and new sand,I have been told to put all my live rock from old tank in sump of new tank,I would really like to know the best way to do the transfer and the quickest safe way with no loss of life please

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
make sure the new tank is filled and water parameters are near what your tank is now. buckets are good to carry them over to the new tank.

how close will the new tank be to your old tank? transfer could literally take 30mins if they’re next to each other

OP
OP
Roger23

Roger23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure the new tank is filled and water parameters are near what your tank is now. buckets are good to carry them over to the new tank.

how close will the new tank be to your old tank? transfer could literally take 30mins if they’re next to each other
So I’m wondering dont I need to give the new tank some time,im worried that adding all the fish at once would cause ammonia,do I need to start new tank like I started my old tank

Brennin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m wondering dont I need to give the new tank some time,im worried that adding all the fish at once would cause ammonia,do I need to start new tank like I started my old tank

if you add the old rock, sand, filter media etc. then your new tank will already have the bio filtration used to dealing with your existing bio load. Now don’t add a bunch of new fish right away just because you have more space. Give the new rock and stuff time to acquire bacteria.

OP
OP
Roger23

Roger23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you add the old rock, sand, filter media etc. then your new tank will already have the bio filtration used to dealing with your existing bio load. Now don’t add a bunch of new fish right away just because you have more space. Give the new rock and stuff time to acquire bacteria.
Everything on new tank is new,skimmer sump,sand,only thing I’m using from old tank is rock,with exception I did get 3 new rocks

Brennin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything on new tank is new,skimmer sump,sand,only thing I’m using from old tank is rock,with exception I did get 3 new rocks
Are you using bio media in the sump? If so just leave it in the old tank for a little while. Honestly though it sounds like if you dose some turbostart or something you’ll be fine if you’re rock is all going in there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back