How to upload videos to youtube without losing quality

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve uploaded several videos to youtube with the intention of posting them here, but for some reason whenever I upload them the quality drops drastically. The video will look fine in my camera roll, then when it’s on youtube it looks like it was recorded on a cheap 2004 camera. What am I doing wrong? I’m using an iphone SE.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same thing. I think it's normal but I don't know to much about it.

Upvote 0

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty normal unfortunately. YouTube does use a different codec for content uploaded in 4k, so if possible you should upload in 4k resolution. That's not always possible though.

Can you post an example of the quality loss?

Upvote 0

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s how the quality works on YouTube. As long as you have the highest upload settings selected it will upload exactly what you uploaded.

BUT… YouTube first uploads the SD version first ((typically the crappy formats) . Then it begins to process the HD version which can take a few hrs. Lastly it will process the 4K version of your video and this can take even longer, I’ve seen days in some instances.

The hack…. Upload your videos as “unlisted” and once the high res versions have been fully uploaded and processed then mark you video to “public”.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back