OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah worth double checking, just been discussing this with a few others and they too have been getting off the chart readings from both cal and mag Salifert test kits.
I use Red Sea for my calc and that’s slightly off the charts too so there not really a correlation there.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inverts I believe don’t like high mag, such as shrimp.

Could be a duff test, as my Salifert mag and cal are both reading off the chart, think there is a bad batch of Salifert tests going around?

I have heard that high mag acts like a sedative to inverts. Mine was way too high once and i lost a decent amount of crabs and snails (at least I think that's that's but I was decently new so)

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that high mag acts like a sedative to inverts. Mine was way too high once and i lost a decent amount of crabs and snails (at least I think that's that's but I was decently new so)
I have noticed my astrea snails are a little sluggish compared to when they were first put in but my urchin is constantly zooming around the tank and feather dusters are out more then ever. No snail deaths yet though they might just be slow working on that thick algae that came on the live rock.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s honestly what I was thinking. And I have a lot of feather dusters that are thriving so if mag was bad for them then I must be getting a false reading. Maybe I’ll make my saltwater a day early and test that today to see how it fairs, could be a bad batch of IO for all I know. A test at LFS might show me some more info too.
Additives in man-made salt mixes can settle out during shipping and cause variations as it is used, unless of course it's all mixed at once.
If you only use portions of a bag or bucket each time, it's a good idea to roll the bucket numerous times before opening for the first time to mix well.
With that said, you'll still find batch variations, but at least the whole bucket will have the same params.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additives in man-made salt mixes can settle out during shipping and cause variations as it is used, unless of course it's all mixed at once.
If you only use portions of a bag or bucket each time, it's a good idea to roll the bucket numerous times before opening for the first time to mix well.
With that said, you'll still find batch variations, but at least the whole bucket will have the same params.
This might be my issue is using small portions of the bag at times and never mixing it. I’ll have to give that a try. Thank you for that information

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back