How wide and tall I should make my peninsula reef tank?

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am in the planning stages of a 6 foot long reef tank. It will be a peninsula style and be a partial room divider in our large family room. I was thinking the height to be 29-30 inches and the width to be 30 - 36 inches. My preference would be 29 inches tall because I plan to put some wood trim around the top lip of the tank that would stick up about 1 inch for wire management, thus making it 30 inches from the top of the wood.

The size of the room or cost is not a factor as far as the width goes, so I can do 36 inches wide if needed. With the live rocked stacked in the middle of the tank, at 30 inches wide, I think there is plenty of room the clean the glass and for the fish to swim. However keeping the tank to about 250 to 265 gallons might help to keep the cost down on a Lot of the other equipment needed. And do I really need the width to be 36 inches wide?

I am interested in other opinions and other considerations I should think of. Your input is appreciated. Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am in the planning stages of a 6 foot long reef tank. It will be a peninsula style and be a partial room divider in our large family room. I was thinking the height to be 29-30 inches and the width to be 30 - 36 inches. My preference would be 29 inches tall because I plan to put some wood trim around the top lip of the tank that would stick up about 1 inch for wire management, thus making it 30 inches from the top of the wood.

The size of the room or cost is not a factor as far as the width goes, so I can do 36 inches wide if needed. With the live rocked stacked in the middle of the tank, at 30 inches wide, I think there is plenty of room the clean the glass and for the fish to swim. However keeping the tank to about 250 to 265 gallons might help to keep the cost down on a Lot of the other equipment needed. And do I really need the width to be 36 inches wide?

I am interested in other opinions and other considerations I should think of. Your input is appreciated. Thanks
1) - have you had someone look at the floor as far as support?
2) - (Just my opinion) - a tank does not really 'divide a room' - instead its a clear area - that the fish are constantly in terror of - since they are just 'out in the open' - (again - my opinion - lots of people disagree with this)
3) the width and other dimensions are totally your choice. But - Consider - if you raise the height - the increased difficulty of cleaning glass, etc - the higher it is - the more difficult (IMO) - to oxygenate, create proper flow, etc. For example - a 6 x 2 (deep) x 4 (feet) tank would be easier than 6 x 3 x 3 (deep)

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I have had several large tanks and currently have an island tank, so some advice. The critical factor for the depth and width of a tank is access. I had a 6" long tank that was 36" deep and 30" wide. It was an issue reaching the bottom effectively, even with long grabbers and other instruments.

With a peninsula you should be good on width as long as you have access from both sides. But think about the reach you will have standing on a step stool to gain sufficient height to access the tank. Make sure you have enough clearance above the tank to facilitate manipulating the tools you use for maintenance.

As for frightened fish swimming free in a room, I currently have a 150 gallon island tank that is viewable from all four sides. The fish all have places they can 'hide' in some central rockwork and I have not noticed any unusual behaviors...in fact, the fish are very sociable, probably because they get fed by a person coming by their home. See more here Build Thread 150 gallon island reef tank

Good luck!!

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall are you and what is your 'wingspan'? My current tank is 25" deep and I have to reach in up to my shoulder to reach the sand bottom. I would not go more than 24" deep in future tanks. Take a look at the Innovative Marine 200 EXT Peninsula. 70.9" x 30" x 21.7" and it comes with a great aluminum stand. https://www.innovative-marine.com/copy-of-ext-170

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's exciting to see when someone is diving into a large new tank. Can't wait myself, but got to wait. Personally I am looking to upgrade to something in range of 8' or 10' L x 36" or 48" W x 24" Tall. Already had a few experiences with working in my current setups with depths of 24". Can't say I prefer going any deeper than that. However, you mentioned you are looking to add some top wood trim, so one has to do what one had to do. I also would go with the approach of settling on something you would be happy with in terms of gallonage versus limiting one's self to keep costs down, but that is just me. I just look at it as once a big investment like that is finalized, will one be happy with it, or wishing they went just a little bigger or different. Long thought should be placed here, but I am sure a lot has already been vested. Best of luck with it and hope it all works out flawlessly.

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def prefer a deeper tank and especially if you are going in that length of tallness or height on the tank. More rockwork options and you will have more room and placements for colors. Your fishes will love it also.
Mine is 72x36x22.

Attachments

• C5612F74-7A0C-475D-9E51-E48FB26230BF.jpeg
    C5612F74-7A0C-475D-9E51-E48FB26230BF.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 200
  • FC3A6553-CF9E-45B3-ACC1-76E1DDC18A8C.jpeg
    FC3A6553-CF9E-45B3-ACC1-76E1DDC18A8C.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 198

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R! you will find tons of helpful ppl and more info than you could imagine.

as a peninsula owner i'll chime in.

1st you are gonna love it. IMHO there the best sytle of tank to have if one has the space/layout.

2nd I totally agree with @MnFish1 about floor support unless its on a slab then no biggie.i added some 4x4 supports for my small 170 gal. R S650P

3rd . a lot of the tank height also depend on the height of the stand. most modern stand are pretty tall but if one wanted to shorten it then one could have a taller tank. just a thought.

4th its not only the tank dems you have to think about but what is pleasing to the eye. IMHO some tanks just look better to the eye than others think rule of 3rds and all that art stuff. example a 55 vs 40br the 55 has more h2o volume but the 4obr look 100X better.

5th. one all needs to conciser the stocking list and long term plans for the tank. are you into large aggressive fish like sharks, triggers ect. or will it be a full blown reef tank.

6th. think about closed loop vs power heads to get the flow you will need for tank style that also could effect tank size. just a random thought.

7th. like so many other have said tall tanks can be a rel pain when you need to reach the bottom. its tempting to squeeze more volume in the same foot print but most of the time ppl end up wish they did not.

8th. my option longer tanks look better than taller ones.

now all that out of the way here is what "I" would do:

if you have the space I would go 8' long x 36xwide by 23 tall. with your wood trim you will be at 24" tall.

the 8 feet will give you more swimming room for larger fish like tangs ect.to swim back in worth. it really dose open up more fish.

the 30-36" wide gives plenty of room for the scape + swimming room i vote you go 36" if you have the space.

closing thoughts:
~build a PVC mock up of the size you are thinking about it really help you see what 6' vs 8 feet would feel like in the space. try a cpl tanks sizes to get what you want. better to spend the time here that regret it later.

~if you do decide on the 6' is the max length look into to PnP systems like red sea, waterbox, cade.etc. that said you will not get the with you are after.

i would take a long hard look at the 300 gal form glass cages. 8x30x25 I have talk to @Joe Glass Cages may times about a future basement large tank. stand up guy and loves to talk tanks. he can build you what ever you need. reasonably priced too.

good luck!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
welcome to R2R! you will find tons of helpful ppl and more info than you could imagine.

1st you are gonna love it. IMHO there the best sytle of tank to have if one has the space/layout.

2nd I totally agree with @MnFish1 about floor support unless its on a slab then no biggie.i added some 4x4 supports for my small 170 gal. R S650P

3rd . a lot of the tank height also depend on the height of the stand. most modern stand are pretty tall but if one wanted to shorten it then one could have a taller tank. just a thought.

4th its not only the tank dems you have to think about but what is pleasing to the eye. IMHO some tanks just look better to the eye than others think rule of 3rds and all that art stuff. example a 55 vs 40br the 55 has more h2o volume but the 4obr look 100X better.

5th. one all needs to conciser the stocking list and long term plans for the tank. are you into large aggressive fish like sharks, triggers ect. or will it be a full blown reef tank.

6th. think about closed loop vs power heads to get the flow you will need for tank style that also could effect tank size. just a random thought.

7th. like so many other have said tall tanks can be a rel pain when you need to reach the bottom. its tempting to squeeze more volume in the same foot print but most of the time ppl end up wish they did not.

if you have the space I would go 8' long x 36xwide by 23 tall. with your wood trim you will be at 24" tall.

the 8 feet will give you more swimming room for larger fish like tangs ect.to swim back in worth. it really dose open up more fish.

the 30-36" wide gives plenty of room for the scape + swimming room i vote you go 36" if you have the space.

closing thoughts:
~build a PVC mock up of the size you are thinking about it really help you see what 6' vs 8 feet would feel like in the space. try a cpl tanks sizes to get what you want. better to spend the time here that regret it later.

~if you do decide on the 6' is the max length look into to PnP systems like red sea, waterbox, cade.etc. that said you will not get the with you are after.

i would take a long hard look at the 300 gal form glass cages. 8x30x25 I have talk to @Joe Glass Cages may times about a future basement large tank. stand up guy and loves to talk tanks. he can build you what ever you need. reasonably priced too.

good luck!
This was a great summary!!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

closing thoughts:

good luck!
Thanks so much for the mention @Devaji We do love what we do. You are so correct, I will talk tanks 24/7. We just launched a new version of the Builder. Thanks for sharing the link.

@Gundy here to support if needed. Open to talk options and tanks even if you decide to buy from a different builder. I truly enjoy supporting!

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The idea of an 8 foot reef is intriguing. I will have the space for it and is something to think about. When looking at larger tanks In the 6 to 8 foot range, I think they do look better taller however the maintenance is definitely something to consider. I did mock up a 30 inch wide configuration and compared it to a 36 inch dimension and really feel that there would be enough room for proper maintenance and room for fish to swim on both sides of the rocks at 30 inches. Perhaps taking the 6 inches away in depth and a few inches away in height and adding to the length would be better. Perhaps a dimension of 8 x 30 x 24. I could compensate a little bit by just having a slightly taller stand and go from 36 inches to 40 inches. Thoughts?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of an 8 foot reef is intriguing. I will have the space for it and is something to think about. When looking at larger tanks In the 6 to 8 foot range, I think they do look better taller however the maintenance is definitely something to consider. I did mock up a 30 inch wide configuration and compared it to a 36 inch dimension and really feel that there would be enough room for proper maintenance and room for fish to swim on both sides of the rocks at 30 inches. Perhaps taking the 6 inches away in depth and a few inches away in height and adding to the length would be better. Perhaps a dimension of 8 x 30 x 24. I could compensate a little bit by just having a slightly taller stand and go from 36 inches to 40 inches. Thoughts?

I think and 8x30x24 is a perfect tank. peninsula even better!
but in the end get you YOU want nit what we want you to get. unless you are sending it my way then...haha

I think you will be really happy with that size so many options.

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With that extra 2 feet of tank length, will the maintenance be a lot more? Also, will it make that much of a difference as far as giving fish that extra 2 feet to swim? For example a larger fish like a Naso tang or angel?

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6" long tank that was 36" deep and 30" wide. It was an issue reaching the bottom effectively, even with long grabbers and other instruments.
Mine was 72x36x24 and I had the same problem. With it being a peninsula though, you might be able to access it better than I could. Fish definitely liked the width and ability to swim around.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that extra 2 feet of tank length, will the maintenance be a lot more? Also, will it make that much of a difference as far as giving fish that extra 2 feet to swim? For example a larger fish like a Naso tang or angel?

extra 2' will dont not seem like much to us but I believe it dose make a pretty big difference. with the with and length you are thinking about it will spread out the fish more.

as far as maintenance not much more work just a little more carbon, GFO, lighting bigger skimmer ect, yes it will add up. but it still cheaper than a new tank in a few years time.

not saying a 6'er would be bad at all it will be quite nice. just that the 8'er will give you more options.

IDK just something to think about. buy once cry once try of thing. that said there are many factors involved. in the end it's your tank and you gotta do right by you oh and your other half too. :D

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
extra 2' will dont not seem like much to us but I believe it dose make a pretty big difference. with the with and length you are thinking about it will spread out the fish more.

as far as maintenance not much more work just a little more carbon, GFO, lighting bigger skimmer ect, yes it will add up. but it still cheaper than a new tank in a few years time.

not saying a 6'er would be bad at all it will be quite nice. just that the 8'er will give you more options.

IDK just something to think about. buy once cry once try of thing. that said there are many factors involved. in the end it's your tank and you gotta do right by you oh and your other half too. :D
I would say a 8' tank can hold a sohal tang... 6' would be pushing it.

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make decision yet?

I am trying to make the same exact decision. Had originally thought of 72x36x30, but could go 72x30x30, or 72x30x24. I won't consider anything under 24, as I think its starts to look like a horizontal ribbon of water that that point., and I won't go over 30, as even trying to reach straight down, my arms aren't long enough.

Back in the day I had a 210, 72x24x30, in wall, and only accessible from the back. Maintenance wasn't too big a deal, but a stool was needed and I often got wet....but that is to be expected to some extent. If you can have access from both sides, I think of the 36 width is effectively 2 tanks that are 30 inch deep but only 18 inside wide.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is 144x30x30. I am 5’6” with stubby arms. The aquarium on the standbys 72” tall. I have to climb on the aquarium to do any serious maintenance.
Unless you got long arms and not vertically challenged, I suggest a 24” for height and definitely go with a 36” wide. The landscaping makes for some spectacular designs

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as wide as you can, and use the extra 6 inches as swimspace for your fish. Short arms, and maintenance shouldn't be a problem if you off-center your aquascape with those same 6 inches. Do this in a staggering pattern along the length and you create fish heaven with a 6 or 8 feet length with all the escape routes and hiding spots that would be created in such an aquascape along the center of the tank.

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After some rethinking, I decided on not doing a peninsula tank due to remodeling constraints. I did decide on on going to an 8 footer. I really can’t believe I’m going to go that big! It’s a bit overwhelming to think about. I’m leaning on going to 30 inches deep and 28 inches high. I don’t think going to 36 inches wide will be much of a benefit since I’m not doing a peninsula. OR WILL IT? So 96 x 30 x 28?

Sone decisionsI need to make is:
1. Whether to go rimless or place a metal brace around the top and bottom of the tank for support. Rimless is a lot more money.
2. To go regular glass or low iron. The thickness will be 3/4 inch thick and thus a green tint with regular glass.
Any final thoughts on dimensions, bracing or low iron? I will be ordering the tank soon. Thanks

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the planning stage is always fun. It’s to bad (maybe) that you are pulling away from a peninsula. I was looking at my new system earlier (48”x36”x22”) while nodding offf on the couch. I think my next system will be a peninsula if space allows and would do 72”x48”x22” on a slightly higher stand. I’m really enjoying the lagoon style and finding it much easier to work in the tank even with the 2” height difference from my last display.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back