How would I auto turn on my 12v battery bubbler when power goes out?

Fwdmotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wiring up my ecotech's to this battery but I am wondering I have one of those 12v bubblers as well.. Is it possible to have this auto turn on when the power goes out?

The battery is being drip charged by a charger so maybe something that would tell it when the charger loses power to turn on device? I am not sure what I would be searching for, any help is appreciated IMG_2815.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fwdmotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I figured we live in a storm area here in Florida.. Might as well prepare for multiple scenarios now

The 12V Battery is not hooked up to the UPS system that is seperate. The battery is meant for a few ecotech's and the 12v bubbler, but not sure how to get the 12v bubbler to turn on when power goes out (trickle charger loses power would be the signal for this)

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go to walmart and buy a computer UPS, they work perfectly for this... This way you can ditch the battery altogether...
Where in Florida?

OP
OP
F

Fwdmotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm not sure how that would work - I don't want the backup bubbler to be on unless there was a power outage

Palm Beach Gardens area here, not crazy far from your area

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using a standard automotive 12v relay and a old plug in power supply(12v output) from an electronic device. If you use a 5 pin relay you can wire it as normally open, cutting battery power, until the 12v from the power pack shuts off with power failure. Then it will close, completing your battery pack feed to the bubbler. Schematics are online.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want something simple and inexpensive, I use these on some of my tanks. They plug in to keep a relay open and have two D cell batteries inside. Power goes off, relay closes and the pump comes on. Supposedly runs for 6 - 8 hours, depending on how fresh the batteries are. I have never had them run long enough to exhaust the batteries before the power came back on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back