How would you compare a VarioS-6 with Red Dragon 3 Mini

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning for a new system, and was considering the Red Dragon 3 Mini or the VarioS-6.

I've had decent experience with the VarioS-4 as a return on my current system for 5 years. It's extremely quiet and hasn't broken yet. I'm not sure, however if it's causing strange fluctuations in flow. My overflow is constantly changing all the time, even after 5 years I am adjusting the stupid valve every few days. Now it's almost always just overflowing into the emergency drain. I don't know if it's the pump or the bad stock red sea reeefer plumbing/valve. I've tried 3 different VarioS-4 pumps, all brand new, and they all have the same result, which is why I'm considering getting a RD3 mini.

I've heard it's a great pump, and haven't found anyone complain about fluctuations. I'll be missing the nice float sensor that the VarioS has that keeps it from burning out if the sump runs dry, but I can probably get a Neptune OS-1 and do the same with my Apex controller.

Anyone use one and would you recommend it over a VarioS-6?

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I've never had a VarioS-4 so I cant comment. My Red Dragon has been running for 6 month and has been great. Very quite. I've been quite impressed with it.

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a VarioS-4 so I cant comment. My Red Dragon has been running for 6 month and has been great. Very quite. I've been quite impressed with it.
What are specs on red dragon. I'm looking for a replacement for my varioS-6

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been happy with my Red Dragon pumps for 6-7 years.
What would you recommend I set my red dragon 3 speedy 100w 3100 gph for a 150 gallon tank with a 39 gallon sump? I've been trying several options for day's now and I don't know if I'm running it to fast or slow.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What would you recommend I set my red dragon 3 speedy 100w 3100 gph for a 150 gallon tank with a 39 gallon sump? I've been trying several options for day's now and I don't know if I'm running it to fast or slow.
I normally run between 4x and 6x the tank volume through the sump. I know it seemed popular to run up to 10x the tank volume and I don't. So if you were going to shoot for 5x the tank volume, and now trying to account for head loss, no less than 30 watts and probably no more than 40 watts.
This is just my guess.
I just looked at my 240 and my RD3 100 watt is running at 54 watts.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally run between 4x and 6x the tank volume through the sump. I know it seemed popular to run up to 10x the tank volume and I don't. So if you were going to shoot for 5x the tank volume, and now trying to account for head loss, no less than 30 watts and probably no more than 40 watts.
This is just my guess.
I just looked at my 240 and my RD3 100 watt is running at 54 watts.
That's where it's frustrating I've been trying to calculate head loss for days now and there's no clear answer on pressure reduction inside an over flow. I know I stand at 7.93' of head pressure right now but without the loss inside the overflow. The inside of the over flow has 2' vertical rise 1" pipe down from 1.25" on the return, one 1" tee, 2 reducers to 1/2" threaded adapters with two loc lines for discharge. Would it still be OK running it 30 to 40 watts?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That's where it's frustrating I've been trying to calculate head loss for days now and there's no clear answer on pressure reduction inside an over flow. I know I stand at 7.93' of head pressure right now but without the loss inside the overflow. The inside of the over flow has 2' vertical rise 1" pipe down from 1.25" on the return, one 1" tee, 2 reducers to 1/2" threaded adapters with two loc lines for discharge. Would it still be OK running it 30 to 40 watts?
Well fortunately the rate of turn over isn't something that has to be dead on. It's adjustable.
I am in the slower flow camp. One of the reasons I like slower flow is it's usually quieter. Less splashing in the sump( salt creep), among others.
When setting up a new pump/system you can do a flow test with 5 gallon bucket to see what you are getting.
On an existing it's alot of guess work ( at least for me) But I know there are people that can come pretty close using charts and formulas, etc.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well fortunately the rate of turn over isn't something that has to be dead on. It's adjustable.
I am in the slower flow camp. One of the reasons I like slower flow is it's usually quieter. Less splashing in the sump( salt creep), among others.
When setting up a new pump/system you can do a flow test with 5 gallon bucket to see what you are getting.
On an existing it's alot of guess work ( at least for me) But I know there are people that can come pretty close using charts and formulas, etc.
Ok, thank you for all your help. I'll reach out to you again for more questions in the future this is my first reef tank. I'm just getting set up and did take your advice, you were right about it being able to be plumbed externally. Thanks again!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, thank you for all your help. I'll reach out to you again for more questions in the future this is my first reef tank. I'm just getting set up and did take your advice, you were right about it being able to be plumbed externally. Thanks again!
If you are just getting it set up you can do a bucket test. Time it to see how fast it fills a 5 gallon bucket. Make calculations based on the timing.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just getting it set up you can do a bucket test. Time it to see how fast it fills a 5 gallon bucket. Make calculations based on the timing.
Ok, I will. I'll do it this weekend and let you know. Maybe you'll have advice on how to adjust from there.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RD3 50w and it does not fluctuate flow to where I need to adjust my drain valve unlike pumps I’ve ran before. And it’s built like a tank which instills confidence.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back