How would you do it / 40” x 40” x 40” Cube Build

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to be here and posting for the first time about my custom 40” x 40” x 40” tank build. Like any hobby everybody does things differently and I’m really interested to here how YOU would build and equip the tank from scratch.

The only 4 parameters that can’t change;
  • Saltwater.
  • 40” x 40” x 40” cube that’s being built into a corner at my house. This means two sides of the tank can be viewed.
  • Steel stand (hidden behind wall).
  • Coral and Fish habitants.
General idea of what I’m doing can be seen in the picture below.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and thoughtful responses.

BE3B105D-CC32-4D76-9BD7-8EB43FB8C3AC.jpeg

Last edited:

robdareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the family, I don't post much but I really like this tank it's like the altament 40 gallon breeder in every direction.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! A plan for lighting, flow, and maintenance are especially key for that configuration.

OP
OP
TheDallasCollector

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go SPS and definitely have a fish room behind..

And a very big #WelcometoR2R !!

Thank you so much! That’s a great point, and honestly what I love so much about the location of my set up. The corner I have chosen is under a set of stairs, so I’ll have all that room for the sump, refugium, RO machine, controllers, etc.

Onward!

OP
OP
TheDallasCollector

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like 40x40x40 is going to be a challenging shape/size from a maintenance perspective unless you are like 8 ft 10" tall? :eek:

You make a good point and I have already asked myself that one. Here is my solution, a set of small rolling stairs, something like this. From your experience would that be an issue? (If you had a place to store it)

DCF04720-79BB-4992-B8E7-460BFB211437.jpeg

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People with fish rooms have often made a bench behind their tank to act as a scaffold for working in the tank. If I was building a fish room, I'd place the sump at working height and perpendicular to the reef to one side so that I could have easy access to the tank and equipment.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a good point and I have already asked myself that one. Here is my solution, a set of small rolling stairs, something like this. From your experience would that be an issue? (If you had a place to store it)

DCF04720-79BB-4992-B8E7-460BFB211437.jpeg
I guess the concern is how far down into the tank can you reach without having to submerg your shoulder. 40 " takes a long arm!

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the concern is how far down into the tank can you reach without having to submerg your shoulder. 40 " takes a long arm!

And that's the 'near' side. 40" down and 40" across is 56" reach to the 'far' bottom corner. Ergo, mask and snorkel. :)

OP
OP
TheDallasCollector

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People with fish rooms have often made a bench behind their tank to act as a scaffold for working in the tank. If I was building a fish room, I'd place the sump at working height and perpendicular to the reef to one side so that I could have easy access to the tank and equipment.

Great idea none of us want to bend over all the time, I’m 6’ 4” and chest high sump sounds great to me. Thx Breadman.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best picture from my thread. I have a platform my tank sits on. There is room on 2 sides to walk around the tank. The white square on the right that opens to the room on 2 sides like yours, is where the tank sits. My tank is 5x5x3. I cannot reach anywhere near the bottom with my hands in most of my tank. It makes for some interesting maintenance tools. Placing corals on rocks with snake tongs is fun.
Plumbing.jpg

Painted.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back