How would you feel if I tore it all down?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I have an update that I don't want to post.

The tank just kept improving until there was no trace of Dino that I could tell. I continued to dose like I have been but two days ago I started to see a little brown accumulating on the sand. I was hoping it was a diatom outbreak but today it's worse and the frag tank seems to be bearing the brunt of it as it's starting to get stringy again in there. I noticed my frag tank corals two days ago didn't look as great. The acan lords were retracted a bit and yesterday they looked worse. Then today the water has that film and floaters all in it from the dinos.

So here are some changes I made right before they started coming back.

1. I think this is the main culprit. I added like a couple hundred snails and hermits. A lot of the shells are still sitting where I dumped them initially so I'm thinking a lot of die off.

2. I increased the intensity of my light on the main display.

I did notice that a few days ago I had a DIP in my PH that's just now starting to rise again I think. Still watching.

I am going to continue dosing.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good news. However, don't be discouraged with a last ditch survival effort on behalf of the Dino's. Continue your doses and let us know how it goes.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have an update that I don't want to post.

The tank just kept improving until there was no trace of Dino that I could tell. I continued to dose like I have been but two days ago I started to see a little brown accumulating on the sand. I was hoping it was a diatom outbreak but today it's worse and the frag tank seems to be bearing the brunt of it as it's starting to get stringy again in there. I noticed my frag tank corals two days ago didn't look as great. The acan lords were retracted a bit and yesterday they looked worse. Then today the water has that film and floaters all in it from the dinos.

So here are some changes I made right before they started coming back.

1. I think this is the main culprit. I added like a couple hundred snails and hermits. A lot of the shells are still sitting where I dumped them initially so I'm thinking a lot of die off.

2. I increased the intensity of my light on the main display.

I did notice that a few days ago I had a DIP in my PH that's just now starting to rise again I think. Still watching.

I am going to continue dosing.
Have you kept your GAC changed out?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not good news. However, don't be discouraged with a last ditch survival effort on behalf of the Dino's. Continue your doses and let us know how it goes.

Thank you and I'll continue for sure to see how it goes. I'll keep you updated.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a skimmer.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a skimmer.
My gut feel is that this isn't enough when dealing with Dino's, especially if they are a more toxic variety. Many DOC's, not to mention toxins, cannot be removed via skimming.

I need to give this some more thought, and do a little research on your specific strain of dino's.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m whining but I sure do need some encouragement!

How would you as members here feel if I tore down my 400g basement tank? I’m seriously close. Lol!

Dinos have pushed me to the edge of jumping. Yes it’s confirmed Dinos, I’ve added UV, conducted a blackout, driven my nitrates and phosphates up, dosed peroxide, added miracle mud and still losing for almost 10 months now and losing bad! Not a little bit of dino but a ton!

All the corals have been in a frag tank that’s plumbed to the main system and they are growing very well. Just can’t put anything in tbe main tank.

I am seriously considering tearing it all down and I know that’s not the right attitude but I’m tired of throwing money and time at a box of uncurabke algae. Very bad for a saltwater aquarium site to say that but I just need to be real.

:(

As someone else mentioned try live phytoplankton. Its expensive (especially for a system your size) but my go to every time thing go off the rails a bit with unwanted algae.

I use the stuff from Algae Barn and add way more than the suggested dose.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My gut feel is that this isn't enough when dealing with Dino's, especially if they are a more toxic variety. Many DOC's, not to mention toxins, cannot be removed via skimming.

I need to give this some more thought, and do a little research on your specific strain of dino's.

What carbon do you suggest for my reef tank? I'll start running some!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else mentioned try live phytoplankton. Its expensive (especially for a system your size) but my go to every time thing go off the rails a bit with unwanted algae.

I use the stuff from Algae Barn and add way more than the suggested dose.
I'll be starting the live phyto experiment this week. Algaebarn made a huge claim and I've heard of one other reefer attempt it with success. We shall see.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would like to hear from @AlgaeBarn on this as well!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What carbon do you suggest for my reef tank? I'll start running some!
I'm not sure I'm ready to recommend it yet. I'd need to learn more about your specific strain of dino. I doubt it would hurt to run it, but I'm not certain it would help.

I can tell you that I run the ROX 0.8 from BRS 24/7.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

I'll be starting the live phyto experiment this week. Algaebarn made a huge claim and I've heard of one other reefer attempt it with success. We shall see.

Love this stuff! I have another shipment coming in tomorrow.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this is what you are dealing with...
https://botany.si.edu/references/dinoflag/Taxa/Gtoxicus.htm

Here are what I see as the key parts.

Morphology and Structure: G. toxicus is a photosynthetic species with yellow to golden-brown chloroplasts and a large crescent-shaped nucleus (Fig. 5) (Adachi & Fukuyo 1979).

Reproduction: G. toxicus reproduces asexually by binary fission.

Ecology: Cells of G. toxicus are frequently found as epiphytes on macroalgae and dead coral. Different strains apparently exhibit a preference for certain algae; e.g. the Hawaiian strain prefers the red alga Spyridia filamentosa (Shimizu et al. 1982). Cells readily attach to substrates via mucoid strands originating from the sulcal area (Steidinger & Tangen 1996).

Toxicity: G. toxicus is known to produce the following toxins: ciguatoxin (Yasumoto et al. 1987; Murata et al. 1990; Yasumoto et al. 1993); gambieric acid (Yasumoto et al. 1993); and maitotoxin (Yasumoto et al. 1977; 1993; Yokoyama et al. 1988).

So yes, I would run GAC which will help with DOC's and toxins. I would also cut your lights back down.

I can see why this stuff is such a beast. Highly toxic, acidic, photosynthetic and feeds on algae. And hey, why not make it armored, too!

I'm thinking you will continue to go through waves of this stuff until you get almost all of the algae cleared from your system.

Does this new dino bloom correspond with the dying off of different algae? Not sure why, but Vibrant seems to concentrate its impact on one species at a time. My

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly. Keep at it Rev. I saw a resurgence multiple times. Each time it became less and less. Likely those that went dormant or encysted or whatnot.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well got the algae knocked back again. Figured out what happened though!

I turned on my frag tank to do some work in it before the scheduled time for the light to come on and forgot to set it back to auto! The frag tank, which is plumbed into the main, had its lights on for about 5 days straight! Since it’s in the tank room I didn’t notice. After a couple days back on track the algae is linked back again.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Algae still getting it's butt kicked!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back