How would you finish this scape?

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what I got going on here, what would you do to finish it off?

I have more branch rock to work with, Also have some regular rock available.
Planning on Zoa's and lots of Euphyllia with other LPS.

Garrett312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use regular reef rock for the main structure(houses more bacteria) with maybe an arch or cave and have the branches angled off on the ends, either starting in sand bed of epoxied up higher.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With your plan on adding lots of Euphyllia, you are going to want some regular rock for a stronger base. It is going to be hard to add Euphyllia to the branches. Based on your planned stock list, I would use more rock and keep the branching stuff to a minimum. The branches do look good covered in zoas though :)

OP
OP
kevinl

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Waters ,
Exactly what I'm going for in the tree look, ZOA'S
Here's my 30 gal I have now which inspired my dream of having 5 foot of this to look at.
I raise some rocks which you can't see the rock it self and attach large euphyllia to them.

This is the same branch rock in this tank, only difference is they are laid flat and drilled through the center.
U think I should ditch the branch and use regular rock, or center the tree and do 2 islands, one left and one right side?

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think I’d go for something like this
:
17F4F908-8B3B-4D7F-B224-F10A56F98274.jpeg

It gives you more rock space for filtration/coral real estate, but you’re still bringing attention to the branching pieces - which look awesome, btw. Interested to see how it turns out!

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Waters ,
Exactly what I'm going for in the tree look, ZOA'S
Here's my 30 gal I have now which inspired my dream of having 5 foot of this to look at.
I raise some rocks which you can't see the rock it self and attach large euphyllia to them.

This is the same branch rock in this tank, only difference is they are laid flat and drilled through the center.
U think I should ditch the branch and use regular rock, or center the tree and do 2 islands, one left and one right side?

Yeah, that looks really good. I do like the branches covered in Zoas like that. I would keep the large branch and cover it in zoas but I would place it either on the left or right side, and use a second island on the opposite side (composed mainly of regular rock with a smaller branch covered in zoas)....kind of like what @VKP01 is talking about. I don't think centering it is the way to go....in my opinion of course. Whatever you decide, if it looks anywhere near as good as your last tank, you can't go wrong :)

OP
OP
kevinl

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VKP01
@Waters
Thanks for the help!
Forgot to mention one thing, I'm also trying to keep things accessible as I need to remove colonies from time to time to frag them, mostly the euphyllia.
I have plenty of reef rock in the system this is tied to, also have a 100 frag tank tied in as well.
Here's the frag system I try and keep stocked.

Your suggestions really helped, I'll see what I come up with and try and keep progress posted.
Hey, look at that, I may have a build thread going! All be it in the wrong forum.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VKP01
@Waters
Thanks for the help!
Forgot to mention one thing, I'm also trying to keep things accessible as I need to remove colonies from time to time to frag them, mostly the euphyllia.
I have plenty of reef rock in the system this is tied to, also have a 100 frag tank tied in as well.

Your suggestions really helped, I'll see what I come up with and try and keep progress posted.
Hey, look at that, I may have a build thread going! All be it in the wrong forum.

Yeah, definitely keep us updated on the progress! You should start the tread in the build thread section....you know you want that shiny Build Thread Contributor banner under your name :)

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VKP01
@Waters
Thanks for the help!

Excited to see where this goes! You should definitely start a build thread, and drop the link so we can follow along :D

Mountainraised

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also could see the following: purple are three islands of your rock. The pink are the branches. Lay them on their side like tree boughs rather than upright like a Christmas tree. Have each bra nch arc to the center and have your show stopping corals enframed by them with the 3rd rock island slightly offset from the middle, because nature had little symmetry... my apologies for the very rough sketch from my phone.
sketch1570775001398.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%

Back