How would you plumb a 220g dual overflow tank?

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 220g reef ready tank with dual corner overflows. Each overflow has two 1" holes. Just curious how each of you would plum it. Include pictures/examples if you have done the same please. I would like to avoid having return lines over the back of the tank.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I was going to reccomend a double herbie with over the back overflows. You could do a herbie in one over flow box and make both of the other a return.

I drilled 2" holes behind my overflow boxes for drains and am utilising all 4 predrilled holes as returns. I removed all teeth on the megaflows and replaced with gutter guard. Wanted to get a bit more (not a ton more due to linear overflow limitations) flow through the dumps.

I think without drilling or going over the back the options are a pair of dursos or a siphon in one box with the other as a returns.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I was going to reccomend a double herbie with over the back overflows. You could do a herbie in one over flow box and make both of the other a return.

I drilled 2" holes behind my overflow boxes for drains and am utilising all 4 predrilled holes as returns. I removed all teeth on the megaflows and replaced with gutter guard. Wanted to get a bit more (not a ton more due to linear overflow limitations) flow through the dumps.

I think without drilling or going over the back the options are a pair of dursos or a siphon in one box with the other as a returns.

Is it possible to do a siphon and emergency in one overflow with a siphon and return in the other or does the herbie need a emergency on both to balance out correctly?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not what you're looking for but I plugged mine, ripped out the overflows, and drilled new holes in the back for a "ghost" style overflow. Not wet yet so jury's out as to whether it will be worth it. My only wish is that I had drilled a couple smaller holes on the back for the returns.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not what you're looking for but I plugged mine, ripped out the overflows, and drilled new holes in the back for a "ghost" style overflow. Not wet yet so jury's out as to whether it will be worth it. My only wish is that I had drilled a couple smaller holes on the back for the returns.
If I was to get a new tank that is the way I would have it built but for the time being drilling it is not an option as much as I like the look.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to do a siphon and emergency in one overflow with a siphon and return in the other or does the herbie need a emergency on both to balance out correctly?
You don't need an emergency on both; the emergency is so the tank doesn't overflow, doesn't care about the siphons. I would do this, but definitely test it a lot. The only question I have is whether the emergency drain can handle the entire tank if the return pump is going full steam.
You could technically have a bean animal style overflow, with one as siphon, the second as the open line and the third as emergency with fourth as return.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a bean is the way to go but I have no idea on how to set one up. Im a look at a picture kind of leaner and there very little in terms of a dual overflow with a bean animal overflow. So one corner with be full siphon with emergency and the other will be the wet pipe with the return? So i understand the full siphon and an emergency but how does the wet pipe work? Is it suppose to be just slightly above the water line?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a bean is the way to go but I have no idea on how to set one up. Im a look at a picture kind of leaner and there very little in terms of a dual overflow with a bean animal overflow. So one corner with be full siphon with emergency and the other will be the wet pipe with the return? So i understand the full siphon and an emergency but how does the wet pipe work? Is it suppose to be just slightly above the water line?
The wet pipe should have just a bare trickle of flow. Essentially it's even with the level of water in the overflow with a tiny trickle running down the side of it.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wet pipe should have just a bare trickle of flow. Essentially it's even with the level of water in the overflow with a tiny trickle running down the side of it.
Does this pipe have a gate valve? If so I assume its meant to be open all the time?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend reading Bean's description of the system so the terms that are used will be standard: BeanAnimal description here.
To make sure we are on the same page as far as terminology, there is the siphon, then the open standpipe, then the emergency, which will be dry under normal operation.
Some aquarium plumbing basics: a 1" drain can only handle a certain amount of flow if there is air. It can handle a lot more under a siphon. It would help to just glance over the article linked here, since I'll be using the concepts to help explain.

No, the open pipe should never be gated down. The only pipe with gate valve is the siphon

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 210 dual overflow with 2 herbies.. worked well but was a PITA to keep balanced .. but yes, it worked absolutely fine . I ran my returns over the top.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same style tank and have 1 drain 1 supply in each over flow and have never had a issue besides it's a little noisy

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend reading Bean's description of the system so the terms that are used will be standard: BeanAnimal description here.
To make sure we are on the same page as far as terminology, there is the siphon, then the open standpipe, then the emergency, which will be dry under normal operation.
Some aquarium plumbing basics: a 1" drain can only handle a certain amount of flow if there is air. It can handle a lot more under a siphon. It would help to just glance over the article linked here, since I'll be using the concepts to help explain.

No, the open pipe should never be gated down. The only pipe with gate valve is the siphon

Okay so I would have a full siphon and emergency(fully dry) on one overflow with the wet pipe and returns on another. The only pipe with a valve on it will be the full siphon drain. The wet will be place just at the water line to allow a trickle of water to come down unless it acts as a backup turning into a full siphon correct? So the biggest measurement will be that wet pipe and getting it to only have a small amount of water running through it. So essentially the only tuning needed will be the full siphon drain unlike a dual herbie where I would have to balance out both drains which read can be a Headache. Is this all seem somewhat correct?

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay so I would have a full siphon and emergency(fully dry) on one overflow with the wet pipe and returns on another. The only pipe with a valve on it will be the full siphon drain. The wet will be place just at the water line to allow a trickle of water to come down unless it acts as a backup turning into a full siphon correct? So the biggest measurement will be that wet pipe and getting it to only have a small amount of water running through it. So essentially the only tuning needed will be the full siphon drain unlike a dual herbie where I would have to balance out both drains which read can be a Headache. Is this all seem somewhat correct?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that is basically how to do it. Bean Animal on two overflows. The only thing to clarify is that the "wet" pipe, or open pipe, doesn't necessarily need to be placed at the water line, since it is truly independent of water level. However, practically speaking, placing it at the water line is the easiest thing to do; you don't need to be super specific when measuring for it though, but make sure that you don't go above the water line. If you do, no worries, the water level in your tank will just be raised as a result, and your surface skimming won't be as effective (essentially you want as thin as sheet of water as possible falling over the overflow, not too far since it will be noisy if it falls too far). Either way, if the pipe you cut for the open pipe is too long, you can always cut it down to what you need.
The trickle of water that enters the open pipe is completely dependent on how much you gate the siphon. Essentially you want all the water you can get to go down the siphon, and anything left over to go down the open pipe. Yep, you got it, the only tuning required is for the full siphon.
Do you have a return pump already or will you be purchasing one? I recommend setting the return pump to the flowrate you want to have in your tank and sump, and leaving the siphon wide open, then slowly gating the flow of the siphon until you have a little water entering the open pipe. That's it. If you have any questions or want drawings or anything, feel free to PM me.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 210 dual overflow with 2 herbies.. worked well but was a PITA to keep balanced .. but yes, it worked absolutely fine . I ran my returns over the top.
Ditto.

Tried running dual overflows with two sumps: one for the equipment, and one as a huge refugium. Could never keep them in balance and had to abandon it.

How did you manage for the time you ran it?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to modify the tank. Use it as is. They sell overflow covers on Amazon to keep any snails from getting in there. If you're just keeping fish you don't even need to worry about it.

I have the 180, which also has 2 1-inch drains and 1 inch returns. My return pump of choice is the Ecotech Vectra L1, not M1. It's a quiet, dc adjustable pump. I am just using a barb off the pump with rustproof titanium clamps for underwater (they're called Titan) and a Y splitter using black vinyl tubing so no algae can grow inside.

Whatever you do, use a dc pump. They are much quieter and you can adjust the flow with a button press. You could also use 2 smaller return pumps for each overflow so if one quits, you still have the other working.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to modify the tank. Use it as is. They sell overflow covers on Amazon to keep any snails from getting in there. If you're just keeping fish you don't even need to worry about it.

I have the 180, which also has 2 1-inch drains and 1 inch returns. My return pump of choice is the Ecotech Vectra L1, not M1. It's a quiet, dc adjustable pump. I am just using a barb off the pump with rustproof titanium clamps for underwater (they're called Titan) and a Y splitter using black vinyl tubing so no algae can grow inside.

Whatever you do, use a dc pump. They are much quieter and you can adjust the flow with a button press. You could also use 2 smaller return pumps for each overflow so if one quits, you still have the other working.

So are you running the drains on one end and the returns on the other?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you running the drains on one end and the returns on the other?

No, because you don't want detritus to build up on one side. I use each drain and each return as they were designed. It's a Marineland tank, right? But if you use 1 bigger return pump and split it, try to use a 1 inch Y splitter instead of a T splitter. A T-splitter will add more head pressure. They sell them on Marinedepot.com.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back