How would you plumb a 220g dual overflow?

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 220g reef ready tank with dual corner overflows. Each overflow has two 1" holes. Just curious how each of you would plum it. Include pictures/examples if you have done the same please. I would like to avoid having return lines over the back of the tank.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the overflows and plug them with bulkheads. Then I would drill the back of the tank for a low-profile overflow like the Synergy Shadow.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of bottom overflows. I have used them in the past, and would use them again. The bottom being plumbed is a huge advantage with tanks this size, as you can put them right up against the wall (to help weight distribution). I drilled mine on one end, but if it was not an in-wall (through wall), I would have gone with the corner-flo tank...

Depending how many return pumps you are going to use, I would do either:

With a single return pump, put in three drain lines (look up BeanAnimal overflow). One would be a full siphon, another would be a durso-style standpipe and the third an emergency (99% of the time it will be dry).

OR

With two return pumps, put in a full siphon and a durso-style (look up Durso and Herbie overflows). You can do one in each corner, or put the overflow in one corner and the return in the other. I would put one in each corner to maximize surface skimming.... but it could be easier to plumb the latter (depending on your sump)...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back