How would you plumb my dual reactor?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can use the 1” pipe from my return (I’d have to somehow reduce the pipe size and I’m not sure what I need to buy.

Or I can use the pump that came with the reactor.

What would you choose? Bonus points if you can tell me the best place to put this reactor. I don’t have much room and I was thinking thinking in front of the sump or inside the sump?

B311B65C-794D-440F-9FC5-3BCF8F4ED84C.jpeg

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a manifold off my return to supply my reactor. I like the simplicity of not having an extra pump to worry about but using the supplied pump is fine.

I sat mine on top of some live rock in my extra chamber because I'm paranoid and don't want it outside of the sump. It's not pretty but a leak won't be relevant.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a manifold off my return to supply my reactor. I like the simplicity of not having an extra pump to worry about but using the supplied pump is fine.

I sat mine on top of some live rock in my extra chamber because I'm paranoid and don't want it outside of the sump. It's not pretty but a leak won't be relevant.
Can I use PVC instead of the flex for the reactor (including in the places that use push connect fittings)?

The flex PVC is really difficult to work with. It makes the reactor tilt in awkward positions.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use PVC instead of the flex for the reactor (including in the places that use push connect fittings)?

The flex PVC is really difficult to work with. It makes the reactor tilt in awkward positions.

I'm probably not the best person to ask. I hose clamped 3 different sized pieces of tubing in to one another to reduce down to the supplied hose. It worked but doesn't sit nicely or level.

20220526_194712.jpg

You'd probably need to change the fitting on the reactor itself to accept something other than the quick connect.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably need to change the fitting on the reactor itself to accept something other than the quick connect.
This was the golden answer! It gave me an epiphany!

I unscrewed the quick connected and saw that my manifold is 1/2” and the reactor is also 1/2”.

Thinking of putting a 1/2” PVC and then using the metal screw clamps with the tubing to have it done.

I’m super super excited.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And all this time I was trying to adapt you from 1/2 up to 1.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the golden answer! It gave me an epiphany!

I unscrewed the quick connected and saw that my manifold is 1/2” and the reactor is also 1/2”.

Thinking of putting a 1/2” PVC and then using the metal screw clamps with the tubing to have it done.

I’m super super excited.
Nice, good luck with it.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So things to consider, which I think has been discussed. when changing the media you are going to spill water, It is just the way it is so consider this when mounting the unit. second I like to rigid plumb as much as it is just a better way to ensure there are not going to be kinks or leaks from a broken hose clamp. The John Guest piping is ok, and I have not had any leaks with them, but I still like rigid plumbing better.

When placing think about how easy it is to change the media, if it is difficult you are not going to want to do it. Also think about what you are blocking because you could be creating a more difficult service issue. Just my .02

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back