how would you solve aiptaisa in this tank?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard NO on peppermints for me. Peppermints are vicious creatures when they are hungry. They will literally eat snails, soft corals, other nems. I know lots of people have had success with them, but they are the epitome of an opportunistic omnivore.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a peppermint shrimp fan. They won't eat the really big ones but are great for management. I've seen them take food from a lobo or or other meaty night feeder but never any damage. They're cheap and effective plus some will come out during the day so you actually get to see them. Lol. Good luck.
I had one peppermint shrimp, took out the astapia within a couple of days. I fed the shrimp it’s own piece of LRS nano food while feeding the others. One scoly began to recede along the side , caught shrimp in the act. It was removed the next day.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with peppermint shrimp. Had to get rid of a flame hawk and 6 line wrasse to keep them alive though. Never had problems with them attacking other corals either.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with peppermint shrimp. Had to get rid of a flame hawk and 6 line wrasse to keep them alive though. Never had problems with them attacking other corals either.
I think its more a food thief than a coral eater. It's easy pickings for the shrimp. But people do get mean ones. So far since 1976 I've been lucky. I've sentenced many creatures to life in the sump but no shrimp yet.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I fully believe people that have had problems with them. I just personally have not.
You do have to make sure they have enough food.
It is a lot easier to be picky about what you eat when you are not starving.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back