How would you start over in the reef hobby?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly id do alittle more research on aquascape and flow around a tank. I wish I could redo my Aquascape completely with no water in the tank and buy a bunch of rocks and break them into pieces and make something creative.

Edit: Oh and drank a couple beers while doing it to get the creative juices flowing

This! I would LOVE to redo my rock work, I have 2 structures and used emarco cement on the both of them. I don’t regret the cement at all, just wish I’d planned it out more. The top of my right structure is useless!

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Biocube 32 and it's perfect for me. Have no inkling to go larger.
I did a 125 gal salt fish only tank 45 years ago - got that out of my system.
I change 3 gals of water every 5 days and run the magnet on the glass 3 times a week.
I just wish they wouldn't run the auctions on Saturday's. Spend to many hours hunting for corals! :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m telling you! I’m struggling with “how long do I wait to go 70? Or do I go 150?”

My recommendation is go as big as your space and budget allows, that way you won't end up with buyers remorse. I might have been able to go with a 120 gallon instead of my 90 gallon, but that extra 6 inches front to back in it's current location would've made things a lot more cramped in terms of the walking space around where the 90 is currently located and would likely get in the way of some logistics types concerns (ie if I ever had to move furniture).

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my 40g tank and after reading everyone's comment, I instantly started regretting not going bigger LOL [emoji23]. This will be my first reef tank after being with freshwater for about 6years.

Give it time my friend! I say 6 months and you will upgrade to a bigger tank.

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m telling you! I’m struggling with “how long do I wait to go 70? Or do I go 150?”

I wanted bigger but wanted to keep costs down on my first tank...STUPID now I just can't wait to move from a 40 breeder to a 100-125 I would like to have a tang or two and more wrasses!!

Thekegk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not choose a 125 long. to hard to get good circulation every where. I would go with the wider 120 tank.

ohhh bigger too if I have more money and more space. wan the bigger fish I cant have.

Last edited:

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would've went bigger... people don't often say "I should've went smaller"

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back