Howdy ho reefers! I'm new here and new to reefing!

Dovahkiin47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, I'm pretty stinking new to all of this, but I hope that the research I've done has prepared me adequately for my first reef tank. I've had a 55 gallon planted freshwater tank for about 3 years now, and I've been wanting to try my hand at saltwater for a long time, but the cost of it and the space required to set up the tank I wanted was just too much for a college kid in my position. Luckily, one of my coworkers that is super knowledgeable about saltwater sold me a used 20 gallon tank he had lying around for super cheap and helped me to get started on this.

I've had it for over a month now, and because the sand and filter were pre-cycled, I was able to get started almost instantly! Currently, I've got two juvenile caramel clownfish, a gorgonian whip, a purple mushroom, a frag of GSP, 3 astrea snails, and two banded trochuses. I'm planning to sell the clownfish when they outgrow the tank, and get more juveniles to raise at that point. I'm still figuring out corals and I know I'm probably going to make some mistakes in the future, but I'm doing everything I can to try and avoid that. Hopefully this forum will be a good resource to that end!

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received_244003776723671.gif

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, I'm pretty stinking new to all of this, but I hope that the research I've done has prepared me adequately for my first reef tank. I've had a 55 gallon planted freshwater tank for about 3 years now, and I've been wanting to try my hand at saltwater for a long time, but the cost of it and the space required to set up the tank I wanted was just too much for a college kid in my position. Luckily, one of my coworkers that is super knowledgeable about saltwater sold me a used 20 gallon tank he had lying around for super cheap and helped me to get started on this.

I've had it for over a month now, and because the sand and filter were pre-cycled, I was able to get started almost instantly! Currently, I've got two juvenile caramel clownfish, a gorgonian whip, a purple mushroom, a frag of GSP, 3 astrea snails, and two banded trochuses. I'm planning to sell the clownfish when they outgrow the tank, and get more juveniles to raise at that point. I'm still figuring out corals and I know I'm probably going to make some mistakes in the future, but I'm doing everything I can to try and avoid that. Hopefully this forum will be a good resource to that end!
Welcome! Sounds a lot like how I started out. Take it slow and accept the mistakes you make as learning experiences. I found it invaluable to have someone with a lot of experience to talk to and learn from. This site has been just as invaluable! Good luck!
8E0CF623-6CA8-446E-8C82-037437532AD7.gif

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Howdy and welcome to R2R!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back