Howdy...ready to embark on my saltwater journey!

craftsman1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I’ve kept tropical, freshwater fish my whole life. I have always wanted to dive into saltwater fish keeping but always was talked out of it...too hard, too time consuming, too expensive...well, after watching a NOVA program last spring about efforts to save the coral reefs, something triggered me to just give it a shot! I’ve been studying up and researching for the better part of a year now and have decided I will pull the trigger in late spring to have a new tank up by early summer. There’s just SO MUCH INFORMATION out there that sometimes I just get paralyzed with fear that I’ll mess up. I have a few more months and then it will be time to apply everything I’ve learned. I’m exited and nervous at the same time.

Thanks in advanced for all your advice,
John

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Best advice out there is take it slow and ask questions. A lot of people here can help.

R2RWelcome.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Just by the fact that you're doing a lot of research before jumping into it is a good sign that you'll likely do well. This hobby isn't all that hard if you're patient.

Also, don't worry about messing something up because if you stick with this hobby long enough I guarantee you'll mess something up...we all do. The key is to have enough failsafes that when you do mess up it doesn't cost a fortune or damage your home.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Good luck on your reefing journey! You came to the right place to get started. Take your time and do your research here on R2R!

2A32ED9D-C95A-4B92-9CEB-FAFC31E5502B.gif

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,hope all is well with you and your family and welcome to r2r,its a very friendly place here and some very knowledgeable people here ^_^

I like yourself decided for long time not to do it as got told to expensive,to much time,very hard and sounded like every saltwater fish had diesese/ parasites and read threads and all the " more fish die from medication" then no they don't as you musnt have done properly lol.
Then got scared of proper real ocean live rock because all the pests so got dry rock but wish I got live rock now lol

But you doing right thing with researching and researching some more so even though we haven't got the experience on something, hopefully we have a better understanding on how to spot something and sons knowledge with what to do.

Anyhow goodluck with your first saltwater tank when you set it up ^_^

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I’ve kept tropical, freshwater fish my whole life. I have always wanted to dive into saltwater fish keeping but always was talked out of it...too hard, too time consuming, too expensive...well, after watching a NOVA program last spring about efforts to save the coral reefs, something triggered me to just give it a shot! I’ve been studying up and researching for the better part of a year now and have decided I will pull the trigger in late spring to have a new tank up by early summer. There’s just SO MUCH INFORMATION out there that sometimes I just get paralyzed with fear that I’ll mess up. I have a few more months and then it will be time to apply everything I’ve learned. I’m exited and nervous at the same time.

John
Hi all.

John
Hey John. You have a history with aquariums and obviously you like it. It will take time, it will require more knowledge and will be rewarding in the end. How so?
It will challenge your knowledge,and how to to apply it .
Control your impulses.
Learn to follow the flow of things
Be patient
You will make mistakes
Ask for advice when you need it.
You will always learn something new.
Read as much as you can.
As you become familiar with the site you’ll see who specializes in what.
Opinions vary, levels of knowledge vary.
Its a hobby!
Enjoy it!

Attachments

• 1F0A4C0A-CC69-4016-83FD-40685FA0BE6A.jpeg
    1F0A4C0A-CC69-4016-83FD-40685FA0BE6A.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 12

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back