Howdy

Iptuous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Glad to be aboard.
New again to the hobby. I had a shoestring budget reef tank about 15 years ago when i was in school, and always wanted to get back in to the hobby.

A buddy from work gave me an offer on a fluval spec v that he had established, and here i am, hooked again. :)

Tank specs:
-5 gallon pico fluval spec v
-Looks like about 15 lb oolite sandbed and probably 4-5 lb of live rock
-Oveflow filter sponge cut in half with lower area filled with matrix stone pumice. Upper filter sponge cavity with chemipure elite bag.
-Stock pump.
-Some powerhead that i run in reverse because the flow is too strong regularly.
-Current orbit marine pro light.

Cuc:
-1 Emerald crab because there was some bubble algae when i got the setup.
-1 peppermint to take care of the aptasia that was there.
-1 nassarius thatcame with it
-2 trochus (surviving of the 5 that i got :/)
-2 scarlet leg hermits
-1 sand sifting conch with his googly-butt eyes

Fish:
-1 six line. Which i think is more than enough fish for the tank

Coral:
-1 GSP frag on overflow wall that came with the setup.
-1 hammer frag thats doing nicely
-1 zoa frag that i just got. Nice orange color. I think lfs called it 'sexy orange gatorade'?
7ca45f30119f9c27c66198b35d966f82.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharp little tank.

Welcome back to the hobby :)

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, glad to have you here. Nice little Pico:)

OP
OP
Iptuous

Iptuous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. They're neat looking. I just dont know how much fish i can get away with in such a small tank.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Smaller blennies, you could do a couple barnacle blennies (extremely fun to feed), a bicolor, tail spot, or an algae sailfin/lawnmower blenny if you find a smaller one. All have great personalities.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise you could do some type of sandsifting goby such as a watchman, orange spot, wheeler, hectors, rainfordi, prawn, or tangorai goby

OP
OP
Iptuous

Iptuous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sons love the tank, but it keeps making my younger son sad. My peppermint lost some legs. He was hanging out by the powerhead, so i figured it was that. The 6line went to town on him as he was immobile. I replaced him. The 6line did it again! Ok. No peppermints, then. Now the emerald crab ate my zoanthids! Back to the store with him! Son was sad when i said that. :(

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, man.
A lot has changed since i was in it last. It seems much better... and dangerous to to wallet! :D

Yep, it sure is dangerous to the wallet. I am getting good prices on stuff, have some killer equipment, but going to go slow as I'm learning the new nomenclature, much less the pricing of things. I was in the biz but things have changed it the last several decades. My pictorial vlog will start when I get back from out of state and start setting up, so I'm asking LOTS of questions from folks such as yourself, so thank you very much for your remarks on your journey, and pics of your tank. Gorgeous!

Shawna Solomon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs are the worst. I bought some because I was told they were reef safe. That was a lie for mine because the first thing it did was climb up my Duncan and start eating it’s tentacles. And I got a zoa frag just like that from DNA a couple weeks ago I enjoy the bright zoas!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald/Mithrax crabs are opportunistic feeders. There is always a chance they will eat corals. If they are hungry or starving, the chance they’ll eat corals becomes even greater.

Can’t blame em for choosing the burger a couple inches away instead of opting for the salad many feet away.

Back