HOWTO: Seneye V2 SUD + Raspberry Pi 4 / 400 - Full Seneye.me Support!

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got both good news and bad news.

The bad news is that I no longer use this system, although it was awesome for its intended purposes. I was not happy with the limitations set by Seneye especially when I am buying their products monthly.

The good news, I switched over to Felix Smart, its a much better solution and uses similar tech to Seneye (including official Seneye refill slides).

If you want to keep using this solution it sounds like you need to get Wi-Fi working on your Pi first. There is several chat channels and forums that offer support for Pi configuration, also check your instructions to make sure you don't have to flip a toggle or install a driver over Ethernet first.

As for the connectivity issue, if the connection ever drops and your computer sees the hub still on the Pi, unplug the usb and plug it back into another port on the Pi. I would only get a drop occassionally and this fixes it, I could tell Seneye did an update and tried to halt it but unfortuntely it didn't work. (Yep, Seneye, read this post and weep)
Thanks for that feedback. I'm probably going to buy an Apex controller in the next couple months, but needed something reliable and easy to use for the week(s) that the tank cycled. Also, as noted, it can continue to serve as a PAR meter, so that's helpful also. Although the Apex is expensive, it has the benefit of wide industry support (i.e. Reefbreeders has an upgrade driver board that will integrate) so that it's not just an on/off scenario. Very helpful. Thanks for your help!

kabadisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so further to that, presently it seems to randomly work or not work based on unplugging it and plugging it back in. I did just notice this:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 24f7:2206 Seneye ltd Seneye SUD v 6.0.2
idVendor 0x24f7
idProduct 0x2206

Seems to be different to the ones posted earlier.
Hey Guys,
Just checking in here to say that I have just got this working with my Raspberry Pi v4.

I too was having the issue where the Seneye was not detected unless plugged in & out a few times. It was really weird. I had to run the command:
Code:
dmesg -wH
while plugging & unplugging the Seneye from the USB2 ports to see when it was actually detected by the Pi.
Once the Pi itself detected the Seneye, VirtualHere worked great but if the Pi was rebooted it would fail and require plugging & unplugging again. Tedious.

After lots of trial and error, I discovered a fix. All I did was plug the Seneye in via an old, cheap USB2 hub (unpowered) and now it works every time and even survives a reboot of the Pi.

Honestly, I have no freakin idea why/how it works, but it seems to. Really odd.

For troubleshooting, to see if the Seneye has been detected by the Pi, run the following command:
Code:
dmesg -H | grep -i seneye

kabadisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old topic, but I have just been wrestling with this again with fresh eyes and learned some new things that make the whole thing much more stable.

I use this setup with a Raspberry Pi v1 with a cheap USB wifi module. I was struggling with the wifi it seemed like it would only work intermittently and would die if I ever updated using apt. For ages, I was convinced it was just because I was using old dongles and spent hours and hours chasing driver issues and even trying to compile my own.

It turns out that the issue was that VirtualHere was being very aggressive about taking the USB wifi dongle away from the host. After lots of trial and error, I finally have the VirtualHere configuration to make it work:
Code:
#ClaimPorts=1
#onReset.9463.8708=
AutoAttachToKernel=1
AllowedDevices=24f7/2204
The ClaimPorts=1 was preventing the host from accessing the USB wifi after a reboot, even with the AllowedDevices=24f7/2204 config telling VirtualHere not to touch anything but the Seneye. It turns out not to be necessary for the Seneye to work.
AutoAttachToKernel=1 seems to let the host keep control of the other devices.
The onReset line was not needed.
I also did not need the /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules. Everything seems to work fine without it.

With this configuration, I have also done a full dist-upgrade and no longer have to use a USB hub as per my previous post.

Back