Hrlp please

Jsknier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so fairly new to reefing. I've had clowns in a FOWLR but never had this happen. Idk if it's something I have in my tank or if the 2 clowns I got don't like each other anymore. I have had them for a little over a month and they seemed fine but I noticed yesterday that they weren't really hanging out together in the same area anymore, and today I see that one of them looks like it's pelvic fins have been ripped off. The only corals I have is 2 "unknown" zoas, a Dragon Soul Favia frag, a Honey Ball? Favia frag, an "unknown" mushroom, and what the LFS called a "whisker coral". As far as CUC I have some red leg hermits, blue leg hermits, scarlet reef hermits, some snails, and an Emerald crab.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the clowns?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying but can't figure out how to size down the file cuz it keeps telling me they are too big
Mine I just hit attach files and select camera and take a fresh pic

OP
OP
Jsknier

Jsknier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210518_192040.jpg

Attachments

• 20210518_192139.jpg
    20210518_192139.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 14

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice bullying? Trip to a hospital tank or acclimation box would be good.

OP
OP
Jsknier

Jsknier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice bullying? Trip to a hospital tank or acclimation box would be good.
I hadn't noticed anyyhing before, they both used to stay right up around my return bulkhead but now the hurt one is staying almost in a cave at the bottom of the tank while the other is up top

OP
OP
Jsknier

Jsknier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a TankliMate and have him in it for now. The LFS also recommended I buy some Artemis and put it in the tank to help with infection. I tried feeding him some of the frozen food I have and he didn't seem to bother with it.
16213890101323689284030953933110.jpg
16213892942844574195737000556469.jpg
16213893744871473805169208410336.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As a warning. . . This fish may not make it. Its best chance of recovery will be an acclimation box or QT tank and feedings with focus and metroplex added.
Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their home, whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
This is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish: There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male, who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger (often much larger) than the male.

OP
OP
Jsknier

Jsknier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a warning. . . This fish may not make it. Its best chance of recovery will be an acclimation box or QT tank and feedings with focus and metroplex added.
Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their home, whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
This is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish: There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male, who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger (often much larger) than the male.
Both of them are still fairly small and have been in the tank together for a little over a month, I never really noticed any food aggression between the 2 of them. I have noticed this one do the "submission shake" thing before tho. I know the whole hierarchy of clowns. I had a 55g fowlr setup with 2 clowns that still get along great after a few years (no longer in my possession cuz I didn't want to break down the tank when I moved out of my ex's house).

OP
OP
Jsknier

Jsknier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to look into the Focus and Metroplex tho.
I will admit I freaked out and after a little bit of no other replies on here I went and got the TankliMate and took the advice of a younger guy at the LFS and got some Microbe-Lift/Artemiss which he said would be safe for my whole tank and would actually benefit everything.
So with the TankliMate he is still in the same tank with everyone but he is quarantined off so that nobody can get to him.

Thank you for your input as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to look into the Focus and Metroplex tho.
I will admit I freaked out and after a little bit of no other replies on here I went and got the TankliMate and took the advice of a younger guy at the LFS and got some Microbe-Lift/Artemiss which he said would be safe for my whole tank and would actually benefit everything.
So with the TankliMate he is still in the same tank with everyone but he is quarantined off so that nobody can get to him.

Thank you for your input as well.
I'm worried that in the picture, the scales of the fish seem to be pushing outward. That is usually a sign of an internal infection, either Uronema or bacterial. Then, the lesion being right there where the internal organs are, makes it even more serious. I agree with @vetteguy53081 - this fish may not make it. If it is still feeding, you can try medicated food (Focus + an antibiotic).

Jay

Back