HTown Reef - 200g Waterbox Reef LX 270.6 (SPS Dominant)

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say today, that I am currently GHA FREE!!! After a few months of hard work, I've made it!

GHABattle.png

Nutrients

Phosphate: .02ppm
Nitrates: 9.2ppm

Next Steps

Coral. Lot's and lots of coral. I have 3 coral in my tank that are surviving, and only after winning against the GHA I'd say thriving. That includes a green slimer, hammer coral, and a mushroom.

I'm going to begin testing my alk/calc/mag and dose as needed to maintain parameters for acropora and pick up a few new test coral to see where we go.

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good feeling getting over gha. That stuff is the devil.

Agreed! Two last fish should be here next week or shortly after (Achilies + Dejardini tang), so in the time being I'm going to focus on my alk/calc/mag and start adding more sticks! :D

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Update!!

A batch of SPS from @Battlecorals arrived today including 2 freebies! This will be my first batch of coral after my test batch. I'll be keeping a close eye on how they progress.

Current Nutrients
No3: 10ppm
p04: .02ppm

They are currently sitting as close to my sandbed as possible. My PAR on that spot should be in the low 300's~. I'll get better pictures later, but below are all the coral I purchased plus 2 freebies on the right.

IMG_20220601_113927_17.jpg

20220219_172708.jpg

Badfish405

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Update!!

A batch of SPS from @Battlecorals arrived today including 2 freebies! This will be my first batch of coral after my test batch. I'll be keeping a close eye on how they progress.

Current Nutrients

They are currently sitting as close to my sandbed as possible. My PAR on that spot should be in the low 300's~. I'll get better pictures later, but below are all the coral I purchased plus 2 freebies on the right.

Badfish405

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Update!!

Current Nutrients

20220219_172708.jpg
Hyper berry looks insane. I need to place an order with BC. Did you happen to measure par with just the reefbrites on?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Update!!

Current Nutrients

20220219_172708.jpg
Looking good. It’s kinda funny, I just got a Battlebox thinking that the Double Rainbow was my main piece in the pack. Now I see it’s your freebie!
But honestly, it seems that Adam’s freebies are of the same quality/value as his main pieces. Which is awesome.

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyper berry looks insane. I need to place an order with BC. Did you happen to measure par with just the reefbrites on?

I actually haven't! I think I'll do that today and get back to you with the numbers.

Looking good. It’s kinda funny, I just got a Battlebox thinking that the Double Rainbow was my main piece in the pack. Now I see it’s your freebie!
But honestly, it seems that Adam’s freebies are of the same quality/value as his main pieces. Which is awesome.

LOL that's actually great. And yeah, the freebie I got (doppler) is a >$100 frag, so I'd agree with you fully that they treat customers right. I just had a small back-and-forth with Adam via email asking for mother colony pics of the Double Rainbow, but unfortunately he doesn't have a good shot of it yet. Maybe in the future!

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually haven't! I think I'll do that today and get back to you with the numbers.

LOL that's actually great. And yeah, the freebie I got (doppler) is a >$100 frag, so I'd agree with you fully that they treat customers right. I just had a small back-and-forth with Adam via email asking for mother colony pics of the Double Rainbow, but unfortunately he doesn't have a good shot of it yet. Maybe in the future!
I would have liked to see that too. It has a lot of PE with the yellow at the base of the polyp, which is nice.

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So of the coral that are in the tank, all but one is showing good or great polyp extension through the night.

The far left one I'm pretty sure is going to RTN and has already had some tissue loss. It looked bad out of the bag, so new tank shock I'm sure didn't help. It's always crazy when you get a handful of new coral and one just doesn't do well when the rest do :/

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry I forgot to respond to you. Reefbrites are at around 50~ par with just them on. They are on for the first hour and last hour of my light cycle (10 hours total)

1654385664632.png

Badfish405

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I forgot to respond to you. Reefbrites are at around 50~ par with just them on. They are on for the first hour and last hour of my light cycle (10 hours total)

1654385664632.png
I was hoping they had a little more par. I have one right now and am debating on a second or possibly add a orphek for a bit more violet look at night.

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping they had a little more par. I have one right now and am debating on a second or possibly add a orphek for a bit more violet look at night.

With my tank size, they are more supplemental LED's to offer some shimmer effect and a morning/evening ramp up. My tanks average PAR is 350-400 with certain spots being 500+, so generally speaking I'm ok with their lower par since my T5's do the bulk of the work.

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper in my DT?

I noticed some odd tissue peeling on my SPS at the base. My PAR/params look solid and there are no pests on the coral. That being said, I've never once tested copper in my display tank because.... why would I need to? I used my high range hanna checker that I've used for QT tanks and sure enough, I'm seeing 0.05ppm copper.

I'm going to be testing my RODI bucket to see if there's copper in there. Outside of that I have no idea how there could be copper in this system.

Next Steps
I've ordered some CupriSorb after seeing some positive reviews on its ability to pull out copper. I currently have carbon in the system so I'm not sure if I should remove the carbon temporarily or leave both in. Either way, I'm hoping this resolves the issue.

RODI
I just tested my RODI water twice and I have no detectable copper. The heck??

Last edited:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper in my DT?

I noticed some odd tissue peeling on my SPS at the base. My PAR/params look solid and there are no pests on the coral. That being said, I've never once tested copper in my display tank because.... why would I need to? I used my high range hanna checker that I've used for QT tanks and sure enough, I'm seeing 0.05ppm copper.

I'm going to be testing my RODI bucket to see if there's copper in there. Outside of that I have no idea how there could be copper in this system.

Next Steps
I've ordered some CupriSorb after seeing some positive reviews on its ability to pull out copper. I currently have carbon in the system so I'm not sure if I should remove the carbon temporarily or leave both in. Either way, I'm hoping this resolves the issue.

RODI
I just tested my RODI water twice and I have no detectable copper. The heck??
Maybe there is other types of metal in there too from a pump, magnet or something. I’d get an ICP test in.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate,

How's the tank looking these days ?

Tossing around the idea of potentially getting one of these, it's a massive step up from my current tank and it's a little daunting with all the cost involved so seeing threads like yours gives people like me valuable information as well as inspiration!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back