HTown Reef - 200g Waterbox Reef LX 270.6 (SPS Dominant)

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you test the salinity it should move in little temp swings. Think it’s apex correcting for temp changes and giving weird numbers.

To be honest, my salinity values have confused me the most out of any other. I have both a Hanna checker and a good quality refractometer, both calibrated today and reading different values:
  • Hanna: 1.025
  • Refractometer: 1.027
While I'm inclined to believe the Hanna checker more so than the refractometer, it doesn't make me confident in my values. I know that as long as I keep them stable it's relatively fine, but if they're too far outside the normal band of salinity, that's what makes me concerned.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, my salinity values have confused me the most out of any other. I have both a Hanna checker and a good quality refractometer, both calibrated today and reading different values:
While I'm inclined to believe the Hanna checker more so than the refractometer, it doesn't make me confident in my values. I know that as long as I keep them stable it's relatively fine, but if they're too far outside the normal band of salinity, that's what makes me concerned.
When you say Hanna so you mean the pen style with the graphite pickups or the bench style optical one?
I only ask because I have both and my hand heled is very sloppy with readings.
Just my experience. I trust the optical unit.

Screenshot_20220121-210051_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say Hanna so you mean the pen style with the graphite pickups or the bench style optical one?
I only ask because I have both and my handed is very sloppy with readings.
Just my experience. I trust the optical unit.

Screenshot_20220121-210051_Gallery.jpg

No, I have the hanna handheld:

1642816969594.png

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I tested many Hanna’s to a few difrent refractometers and hanna is always .002 low. I picked the middle and went with it.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll added I have a Digital Milwaukee’s refractometer and it reads The same as for other refractometer‘s. Hannah might be more accurate but the Reef standard is refractometer values. Make sense?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I tested many Hanna’s to a few difrent refractometers and hanna is always .002 low. I picked the middle and went with it.
That is why I asked. Mine drifts fast. I trusted it for a while without calibrating it and... well that was a mistake.
If you stay on it it really is great.

I would bet a bottle of 2013 The Yamazaki Sherry Cask that it is off by over 2ppt for most users (51%) that have not calibrated within the last two weeks.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll added I have a Digital Milwaukee’s refractometer and it reads The same as for other refractometer‘s. Hannah might be more accurate but the Reef standard is refractometer values. Make sense?
I think they are the exact same product just rebranded.

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kind of. So between @Sean Clark and @Crabby48, would you make any particular recommendation in terms of accuracy?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of. So between @Sean Clark and @Crabby48, would you make any particular recommendation in terms of accuracy?
Pick one and stick with it. I set my salinity at 1.025 with Hanna and 1.027 with a refractometer. My lfs has amazing coral they use hanna at 1.026. Other friends kepp salinity with Hanna 1.023 with amazing tanks.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick one and stick with it. I set my salinity at 1.025 with Hanna and 1.027 with a refractometer. My lfs has amazing coral they use hanna at 1.026. Other friends kepp salinity with Hanna 1.023 with amazing tanks.
I would have to agree that consistently within a range is more important than accuracy.

It is that whole accuracy precision consistently triangle.

Pick one and use it... but if it the Hanna pen... make sure it is calibrated often.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree that consistently within a range is more important than accuracy.

It is that whole accuracy precision consistently triangle.

Pick one and use it... but if it the Hanna pen... make sure it is calibrated often.
Mine never loses calibration. I don’t rinse it and if I do it’s nasty tap water.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna pen? Maybe I just got a lemon?.
Yes hanna pen. I may have got the odd ball as many say they have issues.
Fair enough. I'll stick with my hanna pen then with occasional checks on the refractometer.
You don’t always need to calibrate it but put pen in solution shake bubbles and see what it reads. Then you will know how far off it is before you calibrate it. If it needs calibration remove from packet hit calibration then stick back in solution. I do float the cal solution in sump before I use it. That is where the temp/salinity part comes to play

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes hanna pen. I may have got the odd ball as many say they have issues.

You don’t always need to calibrate it but put pen in solution shake bubbles and see what it reads. Then you will know how far off it is before you calibrate it. If it needs calibration remove from packet hit calibration then stick back in solution. I do float the cal solution in sump before I use it. That is where the temp/salinity part comes to play

That's pretty much exactly what I do (heating the solution in the sump, shaking to remove bubbles). Good to know I'm not crazy.

@Sean Clark Also I'm sorry, if I had a yama sherry cask I'd be hiding that away from everyone except for me :D

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much exactly what I do (heating the solution in the sump, shaking to remove bubbles). Good to know I'm not crazy.

@Sean Clark Also I'm sorry, if I had a yama sherry cask I'd be hiding that away from everyone except for me :D
You miss every shot you don't take... I saw some Yama on on those shelves.

OP
OP
Ugin

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You miss every shot you don't take... I saw some Yama on on those shelves.

Good eyes! I have...
- Yama 12
- Hakushu 12
- Hibiki 21
- Chichibu 2019 + 2020 (US Edition)

Those are the notables. I have things like Nikka 12 which isn't made anymore, but the ones above are the *chefs kiss* good ones :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back