Huge bristle worm in nano reef. GOOD or BAD?

Huge bristle worm in nano reef. GOOD or BAD?

• Don't worry be happy

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Burn in hell

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Other.. (comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

So I have a couple of huge bristle worms in my nano tank (25g)

I would like to hear your opinion on whether a huge bristle worm is a good thing for a nano reef or maybe not so much
When I say “huge” I refer to very big and probably disproportional for the tank size, as I’ve never seen their full body size but I guess they could be 30 cm long, give or take.

On one hand, they don’t seem to pick on any other inhabits as far as I can see, including corals. Plus they take a huge role in the CUC for sure.

On the other hand, I thought they might be feasting on other small beneficial inhabits such as small bristle stars, pods, etc and pretty much prevent these beneficial populations from really kicking in

So.. what are your opinions about it?

PHOTO-2021-11-21-20-50-30.jpg PHOTO-2021-11-21-20-50-27.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I would like to hear your opinion on whether a huge bristle worm is a good thing for a nano reef or maybe not so much
When I say “huge” I refer to very big and probably disproportional for the tank size, as I’ve never seen their full body size but I guess they could be 30 cm long, give or take.

On one hand, they don’t seem to pick on any other inhabits as far as I can see, including corals. Plus they take a huge role in the CUC for sure.

On the other hand, I thought they might be feasting on other small beneficial inhabits such as small bristle stars, pods, etc and pretty much prevent these beneficial populations from really kicking in

In my opinion, bristle worms can be considered part of cleanup crew, but we remove large ones when found in our 180 gallon. Figure where there are large, there are small, and I'd like to keep them under control... unlike this video:

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g. And i have seen 3 huge ones in my tank. Below is one going into a trap a few days ago. These worms are way big for small tanks. Yes they may eat the crud in the tank but at 10 inches long in a 10g tank they crawl over everything, annoying thr hell out of the corals.
Burn them before you regret it

Attachments

• 20211211_193618.jpg
    20211211_193618.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 88

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say remove them. I only have corals in my 13 gal. right now and I think they got used to eating the coral food. When I stopped feeding them for a few days, two bristle worms ate two of my expensive mushrooms.

Caught in the act of attacking one!
1640023592980.png

OP
OP
Zoa.Mania

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, bristle worms can be considered part of cleanup crew, but we remove large ones when found in our 180 gallon. Figure where there are large, there are small, and I'd like to keep them under control... unlike this video:

Thanks for your opinion
when they literally clog the drainpipe the only thing I have to say is...
dang-dang.gif

I have a 10g. And i have seen 3 huge ones in my tank. Below is one going into a trap a few days ago. These worms are way big for small tanks. Yes they may eat the crud in the tank but at 10 inches long in a 10g tank they crawl over everything, annoying thr hell out of the corals.
Burn them before you regret it
that's was kind of what I thought. I have one big brittle star which seems to be suffering from them crawling over it, stealing food and taking over its place under the rocks
I would say remove them. I only have corals in my 13 gal. right now and I think they got used to eating the coral food. When I stopped feeding them for a few days, two bristle worms ate two of my expensive mushrooms.

Caught in the act of attacking one!
1640023592980.png

sorry to hear that. I didn't know it could come up to this. I like my mushrooms better than these creepy crawlers

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

That guy will get food and other things. Learn to love him. He's a good guy.

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope, nope, nope!!!! Nuke that tube-o-worms from space!!!! I might have nightmares now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back