Huge (fat) strawberry dottyback

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a strawberry dottyback in our display system at the garden centre and over the last year or so I have noticed it getting bigger and bigger. By bigger I mean fatter! I tried getting some photos this evening (awful quality) but the centre is so busy during the day getting photos is difficult. Any ideas what is going on as she is huge! Seems perfectly healthy in terms of movement etc but is just really fat. Wondering if anybody has seen this before?
4062BD3B-C97D-4829-A1A9-4A017AE3641F.jpeg

2248D423-6285-40B9-B0AE-3872E5EA814C.jpeg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldnt really see it in the first photo but when I scrolled to the second I went WOW! No thoughts on this, I will let more experts look.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It (she) could be egg-bound. Or it could be something else. In any case - I'm not sure there is much to add as far as recommendations.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW pictures taken under white light - are much better - I see nothing wrong with the fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This can be overeating or even constipation.
Assuing fish is eating, if constipated, you can boil 3-4 frozen peas and allow to cool and feed the fish the inner meat.
If a different issue, scales will usually be protruded such as dropsy like.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly she is huge, strangely wide and bloated. I will try and get better photos.

This could be caused a few issues - if it is a "she" it could be egg bound. It could also be fluid buildup (ascites) from liver or kidney failure. It could also be constipation, but that is rare for plankton-pickers like this species. none of these causes really have any ready treatments - they either work themselves out over time, or they end up being fatal - I don't see any intervention our your part being able to change the outcome - sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be caused a few issues - if it is a "she" it could be egg bound. It could also be fluid buildup (ascites) from liver or kidney failure. It could also be constipation, but that is rare for plankton-pickers like this species. none of these causes really have any ready treatments - they either work themselves out over time, or they end up being fatal - I don't see any intervention our your part being able to change the outcome - sorry!

Jay
Thank you Jay, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I agree with you. She / he has been this way for about a year now and is doing just fine. Was just interested in what may have caused it.
Thanks again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I agree with you. She / he has been this way for about a year now and is doing just fine. Was just interested in what may have caused it.
Thanks again.
If it's been that way long term, it may just be fat (grin).

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back