HUGE outbreak of aiptasia

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by codydemmel4, Oct 26, 2017.

1. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Well-Known Member

So my aiptasia outbreak has gotten so bad over the past couple months that I have no idea what to do.

I have tried berghia nudibranchs, got 12 for my system but they disappeared and this was 2 months ago. They have to be dead.

I just added a copperband butterfly this week but he is so small I don't think he will do anything. I am considering buying the largest size I can find another. I know they could possibly pick corals, but if it does I could move it to my FLOWR tank after he hopefully gets rid of the aiptasia.

I tried peppermint shrimp but I am positive that was just an expensive dinner for my 3 triggerfish.

My tank is a 180gallon SPS dominant DT. I use aiptasia x almost every single day but I swear that is just making it worse, it is at least stopping the aiptasia from hitting my corals as I make sure the aiptasia don't touch my SPS.

I honestly am out of words and do not know what to do at this point. I would pay an easy $300 to get rid of these but I don't know which way to go. I am leaning towards buying the largest copperband butterfly and keep going till I get one that eats them and return the others to the LFS. Then I want to keep this small one I have in my system long term so I stay clear of aiptasia.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. WesleyC

WesleyC Well-Known Member

WOW! I've never seen so many aiptasia together. I would have guessed it is an aiptasia farm for the grow out tank for copperband.

Sorry, I have no idea how to deal with that many aiptasia... Hope others can help.

3. Pife

Pife Well-Known Member

Matted file fish. I have also used a custom built laser to destroy them.

Ranjib and VDiBenedetto like this.
  4. Baby Ray

Baby Ray Well-Known Member

I think you are past the point of using Aptasia X
    I would try an aptasia eating filefish or a lot of peppermint shrimp

Dr.Xipoles likes this.
  5. WesleyC

WesleyC Well-Known Member

Do peppermint shrimp even touch big aptasia like that? I thought they only eat the small aptasia.

Lovemyreef2015 and DSC reef like this.
  6. Jacobscorals

Jacobscorals Active Member

Put the triggers in a friends tank or somewhere and do true peppermints again is all I can say.holy crap!

Paddy c likes this.
  7. 3mm3

3mm3 Well-Known Member

I have no advice but have to say that is an impressive amount. I really hope you can get them taken care of.

8. DSC reef

DSC reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

You might be better off putting your livestock in another tank for now and nuke the rock. Even the sand. If not then removing the triggers and adding natural predators like others suggested could work. If you go with natural aptaisia predators then make sure there's no predators in the tank to eat them.

Lovemyreef2015, Mikedawg and WesleyC like this.
  9. 3mm3

3mm3 Well-Known Member

Honestly I would go trifecta and hit them with filefish, nudibranchs and shrimp.

Dtfnemo, marktea, theMeat and 4 others like this.
  10. ejd420

ejd420 Well-Known Member

aptasia tanks are cool

11. codydemmel4

The aiptasia x was used all the time but I am assuming it just spread it to the back where I could see, then it just got worse and worse over the summer when I would go on week long vacations.

Once it got in the sand, it seemed like it was game over because when I would siphon the sand I wouldnt get all the small ones (I am assuming) then they just spread and yeah. I should have added the berghia nudis or copperband butterfly from the beginning, not wait this long but here I am now.

12. codydemmel4

I wanted to add file fish and copperband butterfly but I was nervous they would all fight along with my triggerfish. I think a custom built laser would take me forever to kill them wouldnt it? and dont you have to suck them out then?

13. codydemmel4

Thanks everyone for the replies, definitely a brain storm here.

14. Cronicreefer

Cronicreefer Well-Known Member

I've never seriously suggested anyone using a laser to get rid of aiptasia but with this much I think it may be the only way apart from just removing the rocks. With the laser you basically melt the aiptasia along with the spores and it is definitely effective. Aiptasia X seems to work best if you get them when they are tiny but doesn't prevent all the spores of the large ones from making their way into the tank.

15. rkpetersen

rkpetersen Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

I would get a majano wand and kill every single one individually. It would probably take hours or even days. Could try a laser, I've got a blue one that'll pop balloons and would likely do the job, but I'd be concerned about accidentally blinding one of my fish if they strayed into the beam. And about possible reflection back into my eyes; definitely need to wear appropriate eye protection.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    SalinFL likes this.
  16. HB AL

HB AL Well-Known Member

Geez, I kill off the ones I can get to about once a month with aiptasia x, just wondering how long it took to get that many together? Holy smokes, some of those suckers are big, and packed together! Hopefully someone has a good idea short of starting all over again. I think I would get the triggers out of the tank, throw in a bunch of peppermints, nudis, coperbands, filefish and attack them chemically with x and one of those lasers, go full blown shock and awe!

Dsnakes and 3mm3 like this.
  17. codydemmel4

everything I have seen about the lasers is you need to siphon them out or it is not effective and with this many that wouldnt be reasonable. I think I am going to add multiple butterfly fish and hope that works. Possibly catch the triggerfish and do both peppermind shrimp and butterfly fish

18. Pife

Pife Well-Known Member

Kliens destroys them.

Joseph Pagnotta likes this.
  19. tdileo

tdileo Well-Known Member

Wow that’s crazy, hope you are able to get rid of it. Makes me really glad I’ve never had Aiptasia..

20. codydemmel4

I think I am going to be adding a larger Kliens and Racoon butterfly next week and go from there, hope I dont have problems with my other fish. If I do, I will move them to my fish only tank.

Draft saved Draft deleted