HUGE outbreak of aiptasia

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by codydemmel4, Oct 26, 2017.

1. reef life

reef life Well-Known Member

Look in your overflows & Sumps. Fish won't be able to eat those.

zachxlutz and HB AL like this.

2. meir

meir Well-Known Member

Gotta say, you got one thing down pat, you definitely know how to grow aiptasia

3. ecam

ecam Well-Known Member NJRC Member

Don’t do the raccoon. He turned on my sps and softies immediately

Zack Klabunde and DSC reef like this.
  4. Branespikin

Branespikin Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Thats bad man! I got rid of almost all of my aptasia with nudis. But i added about 30 of them in my 65 gallon. Took a few weeks and they were gone. If you only put 12 in your 180 I doubt they would make a dent. I wouldn’t mix nudis and shrimp because i think the shrimp might eat them. Good luck

DSC reef likes this.
  5. theMeat

theMeat Well-Known Member

This

With an infestation that bad Use every means possible. Or start over.

DSC reef, HB AL and Jlentz like this.
  6. VDiBenedetto

VDiBenedetto Member

I used aptasia eating files and they did a great job, picked on some softies but no noticeable damage

7. Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Move the fish and corals and start over. It’s easiest. Just clean your rocks, get new sand and go from there.

DSC reef, EleMental and trido like this.
  8. firefishalumacraft

firefishalumacraft Active Member

I used a file fish as well. He destroyed the aptasia in my reef. I'd get a few and then sell them when your done

9. Joseph Pagnotta

Joseph Pagnotta Well-Known Member

896D248F-8F32-42D0-80D4-943FF6F66445.jpeg 321F19E9-738E-4A28-B8FA-AB5DE0A057BE.jpeg 4836266E-5673-446C-ACE3-B178A9E770DB.jpeg 4836266E-5673-446C-ACE3-B178A9E770DB.jpeg D8AA7F46-B3AE-471B-B268-2B71D9B10C96.jpeg I unfortunately have extensive experience with AIPTASIA. I too Have a Large Niger Trigger (Tyrone), do Nudibranch were a no go for me as well. I will Swear By The Matted Filefish (pictured) just because you might not see it Grazing on AIPTASIA, it does most of its work when the lights are off. I also purchased last year a Product Called The MAJANO WAND from Marine Depot. Using the wand is a Great In between AIPTASIA Controller, but with your outbreak, the Filefish is the way to go. Get a medium sized one, but I would get a little AIPTASIA piece and put it in the bucket during acclimating. Good luck I have been there whereas my tank was being overrun and more importantly it was threatening some of my coral. MAJANO WAND my Friend. 4836266E-5673-446C-ACE3-B178A9E770DB.jpeg

SalinFL and Ardeus like this.
  10. Pablo reefcabar

Pablo reefcabar New Member

lol

11. Mark Derail

Mark Derail Well-Known Member

LOL
    Expensive dinner, that got me laughing!

I get rid of mine with simple household vinegar. A stick, air-line hose, air-tubing, zip ties, and a 2ML seringe from one of the test kits.
    Makes pin-point accuracy, and doubles up as spot-feeding of Reef Roid. Really quite the 10$ investment.

I slowly creep up to them with the vinegar shot loaded, orienting the air line hose exit directly at them. They sense the arrival and shrink away, I follow that path. I then shoot into the hole they are hiding in. Rinse & Repeat.
    The vinegar makes their tips become white, so I guess they can't feed themselves anymore. I usually hit them twice if they come back up the next day.

killer kit.jpg

killer head.jpg

killer foot.jpg

12. alanbetiger

alanbetiger Well-Known Member

Don't know if it will help but you could try the Nudibranchs again. Get a critter keeper plastic enclosure or something similar. get it full to the brim of Aiptasia and release the nudibranchs in there so they are safe for predation to get up to a bigger population before releasing a bunch. That's my plan in a few months for my smaller outbreak

13. Ehunforfun

Ehunforfun Well-Known Member

As long as the Copperband is healthy and comfortable in your tank the aiptasia will disappear eventually! I added one from another tank locally and at first there was ZERO impact, after a few weeks there were less, currently there are none!

I never saw it eating them honestly, but I've noticed its pretty active at lights out, that may be why.

14. HB AL

HB AL Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I checked my overflow box, saw someone mention that, holy smokes, looks like the ops tank in there, so if I drain it and pour a pot of boiling hot water then suck it out and dry it out will that kill off the ones in the bottom of the overflow?

Titan likes this.
  15. Bronx19

Bronx19 Well-Known Member

There is no point trying to kill the Aiptasia with lasers and such. I have this stuff piled up like yours in my weir. I however have a file fish that takes care of any that grow in the display. These things spread like wild fire when under attack and grow at astonishing rates. Your only solution is to nuke the tank or put the file fish or shrimp in.

16. Coronus

Coronus Well-Known Member

Drop 2-3 klien butterfly fish and a couple of Aptaisia eating file fish. Clean it up pretty quick. Gonna need to up your water chamge schedule though to offset all the dying aptasia.

17. Capital J

Capital J Member

My experience has been that peppermint shrimp, fish, Aiptasia X, Nudi's, ect will help control it or possibly get rid of most of it, but eventually it will come back.

You have a lot. Don't fool yourself and try to go for the quick fix, it won't happen. Drain the tank, let everything dry out - pumps and rock, add new sand and start over in a couple weeks. Honestly, I don't know if I would risk the rock, you might even consider new rock unless you let it really dry out for a while.

18. DominoFx

DominoFx Member Photo of the Month Award

I have some in my frag tank :)

D1CAA1AF-DC4E-44A8-88A3-4C7E96C6889E.jpeg

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  19. Ben Seaver

Ben Seaver Well-Known Member

I currently have a pretty bad ap outbreak in my 40 gal tank. At least 200 heads poking out.. I have a large copper band, 6 peppermints and 2 filefish. I recently added the second filefish and so far they are not fighting, that I’m aware of. I’d say go buck wild add like 4 if those ******* at once..

20. savetheocean

savetheocean Well-Known Member

Best statement ever..

Draft saved Draft deleted