Huge shout out to Jake Adams

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Sodium Hydroxide to carpet bomb my rock work to get rid of my Mojano problem that I allowed to get totally out of control. It has worked like a dream. I really did not have to be careful about damaging corals as those got wiped out a while back due to other circumstances. With the amount that I used in one treatment it cranked the Ph up quite a bit, nothing that Is really of any concern. My skimmer went totally crazy so I kept it off for a day or two but otherwise result has been amazing. Thanks Jake.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium hydroxide is otherwise known as lye. It was used on the dead, back in the day.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what mixture of tankwater did you make it with? gonna go hard in the paint on some aptasia in my tank with it to see what happens

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed a ratio of 3:1. Three water to one hydroxide, might be a little strong so just experiment a little From what I understood from Jake is that there is no exact formula. I needed to make sure these pests were gone for good.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful using this stuff, make sure you have eye and skin protection. Also be careful with how much you use in a running tank because it can raise the pH significantly.

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just finished nuking the last rock structure and decided to try a weaker solution at a ratio of 8:1 which worked just fine. The first couple batches definitely too strong, I am going to try an even weaker solution to spot treat as the eradication procedure progresses.

Back