Human safety issues aren't rare-discuss classroom reefs, home reef-caused infections in humans. this is an untold side of home reef tanking

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface, fang blennies, lion fish can cause irritation to humans.

I read a post of DI resin going into someone’s eye! I personally handle HCl and NaOH because of this hobby. Definitely not safe for kids.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUIT USING CIPRO IN THE HOBBY

Look how flippant it's become just because we have access to it and a loose tie to happy anemones due to it:

Screenshot_20230129-075506_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230129-075516_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230129-075530_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twenty page guess-with-cipro work threads started this trend

Stop this trend quickly. MRSA skin infections have their popcorn and are watching us, smiling with bared fangs from just inside the starting gate. They want to thank us for hyper evolving them into the terminator as quickly, allowed by the internet and the ability to click an order for something we should not own.
Screenshot_20230129-072400_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20230129-072454_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone here do an equal search and show that it's OK and wise for a thousand reefers to play with it inside extremely dense aquatic cultures of bacteria.

How about just once we as a hobby head off and prevent a trip to the hospital vs go there due to reefing then report the damage after so I can back edit the outcome into this thread.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how a reef environment scrape is any different than getting a scrape anywhere else outside. Y'all have heard about soap and cleaning small cuts so they don't get infected, right? This isn't aquarium knowledge, it's simple first aid and germ theory...

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers aren't even considering potential supply chain issues using cipro as much as searches show, we should quit jacking around with it in our reefs. Not any single post on cipro ever made matched a target organism to it then carried the course to completion and confirmed kill of the target, they do it just to hope some broadcast guessing might help with anemones or lps

In every scientific circle that's stated as unwise.

Parents: you know darn good and well you're not supposed to store up unused pink medicine, amoxicillin which we can't even find nowadays, for your kiddos next sniffly nose or light cough due to allergies and then give it to them as a customized two day course until the bottle is empty.

No pediatrician on the planet would ok that. Only reefers think this much cipro use is harmless.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic question: What sort of gloves should I use? Do I just need one that will cover hands, or also go up the arm to above the waterline to stop just the water from getting at hands - especially if chapped a little from winter weather?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion use gloves that prevent or reduce small puncture wounds for susceptible persons.

I promise am not trying to create hysteria with the thread / I myself get reef water in the mouth nearly daily with siphon jobs lol and I get vermitid pokes from live rock too, for some reason a bug hasn’t got me yet and when it does I’m sure I’ll step up precautions

it’s also fair to say the posters here who honestly did have to go to the hospital we linked for reading would not have minded wearing those gloves before undertaking the job that sent them to the hospital. It’s at least a fair and impactful-to-some topic to discuss.

Last edited:

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop this trend quickly. MRSA skin infections have their popcorn and are watching us, smiling with bared fangs from just inside the starting gate. They want to thank us for hyper evolving them into the terminator as quickly.
twenty page guess-with-cipro work threads started this trend

Stop this trend quickly. MRSA skin infections have their popcorn and are watching us, smiling with bared fangs from just inside the starting gate.
Reefers aren't even considering potential supply chain issues using cipro as much as searches show, we should quit jacking around with it in our reefs. Not any single post on cipro ever made matched a target organism to it then carried the course to completion and confirmed kill of the target, they do it just to hope some broadcast guessing might help with anemones or lps

In every scientific circle that's stated as unwise.

Parents: you know darn good and well you're not supposed to store up unused pink medicine, amoxicillin which we can't even find nowadays, for your kiddos next sniffly nose or light cough due to allergies and then give it to them as a customized two day course until the bottle is empty.

No pediatrician on the planet would ok that. Only reefers think this much cipro use is harmless.
I see you on this bandwagon frequently. The concern is there, sure, especially if reefers don’t expose their treatment water to UV and then down the drain it goes. But you are exaggerating the risks significantly. There aren’t nearly enough reefers treating with Cipro to mass impact the infectious bacteria populations. A couple dozen (or hundred) threads on R2R isn’t going to have the impact you are inferring is possible. What you should be on about are poultry, beef, and other commercial agriculture operations mass applying antibiotics to healthy foodstocks as prophylactics - because that DOES happen.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, Cipro has literally nothing to do with MRSA. MRSA is resistant to Methicillin class antibiotics - of which Cipro is not (it is a quinolone). Sure we all have an interest in Cipro not becoming a frontline broad spectrum antibiotic, but this has nothing to do with MRSA. MRSA trains are already (as of today) resistant to the “cillin” antibiotics (amoxicillin, penicillin and the like). Not a doctor but did actually develop bad case of hospital acquired MRSA after a surgery and guess what they didn’t give me to treat it? Cipro. (What they did do was open the site up again and treat it with a super old school drug: minocycline).

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bandwagon is a reefer touting cipro without any links allowing its flippant use: that’s how it always goes down.

Show some intent in the matter, give ten seconds to search then post back something objective we can read for your claim.

the firm, firm bet is you find and post nothing in the affirmative.

we get paragraphs of stances typed but no actual supporting links of any kind at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it my ten second attempts at searches bring this up

51DA0267-19BE-4A9A-B41D-3CEA27E660BD.png

where’s the bandwagon, and who is driving it again?

additional challenge in front of everyone reading for you specifically @skyrne_isk

if you can get a physician you visit in person, in your city, this week, posting the proof of the visit and the prescription to use cipro in your reef tank because some corals look sick, I’ll PayPal you forty bucks when the supporting info is posted. I bet cash you can’t score it legit for the reasons stated here.

no doctor would ever prescribe cipro for that is the bet, right from the helm of the bandwagon.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bandwagon is a reefer touting cipro without any links allowing its flippant use: that’s how it always goes down.

Show some intent in the matter, give ten seconds to search then post back something objective we can read for your claim.

the firm, firm bet is you find and post nothing in the affirmative.
Over the past 10 years I’ve treated at least a dozen carpet and magnifica anemones with bacterial infections with Cipro - and they almost all live. Prior to a decade ago, I watched the same deflated anemones die when not treated without fail. Not a controlled double blind study to be sure, but to imply that there is NO use case for broad spectrum antibiotics for the animals in our care is laughably (and perhaps willfully) ignorant.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can get a physician you visit in person, in your city, this week, posting the proof of the visit and the prescription to use cipro in your reef tank because some corals look sick, I’ll PayPal you forty bucks when the supporting info is posted. I bet cash you can’t score it legit for the reasons stated here.

no doctor would ever prescribe cipro for that is the bet, right from the helm of the bandwagon.
You better get that checkbook ready.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let’s see the prescription and paperwork from a recent visit to a clinic.

don’t blank out anything, I’m going to call them to verify you didn’t photoshop it. Has to be from a clinic, not your online reefing dr. friend bro.

considering today’s supply chain issues I can’t wait to see such a flippant, unmatched prescription from a doctor with no matching to conditions before the scrip.

bet: you will post no links whatsoever in the affirmative. Show the purchase completed from a store pharmacy as well, unblanked receipts.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all too familiar with vermitid snail pokes along with other rock scrapes etc. I never wear gloves. I pluck palys off rocks with my fingers nails. I wash my hands when I'm done and if I get an injury I let my dogs lick it. Problem solved, dog saliva works better for me than neosporin ever did.
This hobby is difficult enough as it is without worrying about what could happen. It'll just scare people off or create more meaningless posts about paly toxin etc. It's a very real fact that I could die walking down the side walk or driving down the road but that doesn't make me want to lock myself inside and have my groceries delivered.

Bennett_Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That case looks like aquagenic induced urticaria IMO, it would be interesting to see what an allergy panel would find. Allergies to salt water are rare but not non existent. I am a little confused why people are so afraid of pathogens in seawater your back yard's soil is just as likely to yield a high pathogen load if you tested it the way we do our water. But I know few people that act as cautiously gardening as many do reefing.
Gotta agree with you people swim at the beach all the time nothing is different

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MRSA was a figure of speech to highlight the consequences reefers don’t care about. When I posted someone’s arm might fall off, thats the same figure

what does not apply is any friend to friend prescriptions such as a nurse who gets a dr bro to write the prescription on the side

you go to a clinic walk in, like a normal person, get seen, leave with a prescription showing the Dr.‘s name address info of the practice then then pickup from the local pharmacy. Do it legit @skyrne_isk

and if you don’t, you should pay up the forty. If a practicing physician I can call to verify is that flippant I’ll happily pay up. Of course they aren’t going to verify your medical visit with me, but we will be discussing the photograph of the prescription I have as posted to social media for sure. In no way is a dr at a clinic going to give you a prescription for your reef tank.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skyrne_isk

can you post a link or a read about the matter for aquarium use that is not coming from your experience using unprescribed cipro

can you find us anything to read at all? I’ve been deep diving reading and I can only find the total antithesis to your words above. I’m truly interested which group of researchers advocates this

I have no doubt there are online veterinarians who might give the scrip sight unseen, thats part of the problem. Go in person to a walk in clinic physician, score it legit, post the docs I’ll pay up when verified. Veterinarians who may dole this out like pez candy don’t apply, has to be legit. There are websites I’m sure that for charge can give a scrip, that’s back alley stuff do it legit and post the documents with street addresses we can look up on google earth and it’s not someone’s top floor apartment with rusted vehicles out front. A legit Dr. who prescribes this widespread non verified use is what we want to see and incent for the finding.

what I’m not talking about is someone going into a powerlifting gym and then emerging with a prescription for testosterone due to contacts they have within

am talking about a visit to a clinic, a diagnosis ran professionally then getting the prescription at a location we can clearly see on google earth is a legit medical practice with no corners cut in the scoring process at all.

Last edited:

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let’s see the prescription and paperwork from a recent visit to a clinic.

don’t blank out anything, I’m going to call them to verify you didn’t photoshop it. Has to be from a clinic, not your online reefing dr. friend bro.

considering today’s supply chain issues I can’t wait to see such a flippant, unmatched prescription from a doctor with no matching to conditions before the scrip.

bet: you will post no links whatsoever in the affirmative. Show the purchase completed from a store pharmacy as well, unblanked receipts.
Let me get this straight.... You want me to post prescriptions with my home address on them online? Have you lost your mind? I'm not doing that. You can keep changing your criteria. Here are my prescriptions (and there's a bonus because it's not just Cipro I get filled at the pharmacy we get ALL our meds filled at). My vet, who sees all our animals, and is local, is who is writing me these prescriptions that we get filled at CVS.

Eat it Turd Fish Meds.PNG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back