Hunter Hammond: A “Fairy” Inclusive Look at Keeping & Mixing Cirrhilabrus Wrasses | MACNA 2017

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all Wrasse keepers!

Here's a great talk about keeping and mixing various Cirrhilabrus Wrasses from Hunter Hammond.

Hunter , known on various forums as “evolved”, is completely obsessed with wrasses. He is an Arizona native and a marine hobbyist who currently keeps a 270g peninsula reef in his living room featuring numerous rare wrasses.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man looking so forward to watching and learning from this talk! We are very proud of our R2R Expert Hunter Hammond @evolved!! Thanks for sharing BRS!!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to Randy (@randyBRS) the all of the BRS team (@Bulk Reef Supply) for putting these together.

Great presentation Hunter, I appreciated its fit for purpose and concise nature.

I have recently lost many fish in hurricane Harvey, the power outage was just too long for my battery backup, and I wasn’t able to return to hook up the generator in time. :( But my C. rubeus made it through the outage! I was excited to see him. Now I just have to choose which wrasse to add back to the tank. I was thinking C. isosceles and C. rhomboidalis. Seem ok to everyone? 66 gallon tank.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But my C. rubeus made it through the outage! I was excited to see him. Now I just have to choose which wrasse to add back to the tank. I was thinking C. isosceles and C. rhomboidalis. Seem ok to everyone? 66 gallon tank.
Yes, should be okay.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great presentation Hunter @evolved Thank you for all the knowledge you've passed on to myself and fellow reefers. Glad there is someone devoted to informing reefers about Wrasses in this hobby. Wish there were more people like you in this hobby.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful presentation, Hunter!

You belong on that stage, no question. I will note that, once again, I am somewhat surprised by the youthfulness of someone I look up to in this hobby.

The future of reefing is in good hands.

~Bruce

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched it in person. Also got to talk to Hunter after the presentation. Was good times :)

Fr0stguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably give this a good watch. My method of having multiple wrasse was just add one and if one picks on him move the bully to my second tank for a week or two then re add, and see if the aggression is gone lol

lester lloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all Wrasse keepers!

Here's a great talk about keeping and mixing various Cirrhilabrus Wrasses from Hunter Hammond.

Hunter , known on various forums as “evolved”, is completely obsessed with wrasses. He is an Arizona native and a marine hobbyist who currently keeps a 270g peninsula reef in his living room featuring numerous rare wrasses.

Was a great presentation will help in my next set up and now I will divide the two harems I have thanks hunter

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I got my first fairy wrasse in May and now I'm in love with them. I learned so much from this.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great talk. I enjoyed watching it and have one question. What kind of longevity are you getting from the various Cirhilabrus? Is 10 years realistic for these guys? I used to be really into them but had a disaster around 2007 that wiped out, Lineatus, Labouti, Rhomboid, jordani ect. That was pretty tough for me to recover from. I've kept a few on and off more recently but pylei is the only one I ever managed to keep more than 5 years. Of course I started mainly with larger males and I think if I were to go with these guys again I would start with females like you suggest. Especially since most have doubled in price since I bought them back then.

I'm not sure if it was just older males, my qt back then was basically isolation only, now I do things more proper but I found they would one day disappear into the rock work within a few years of having them. I have kept meleagris / chrysus wrasses for longer terms in the same tanks as fairy wrasses. The lack of long term success has kept me away from spending on the pricier albeit more beautiful wrasses in recent years. They were in appropriately sized tanks and fed a diet of 90%+ frozen food (pe mysis ect). That being said it has been a long time since I tried the higher end species and perhaps it was just some bad luck and I should give it another go.

Back