Hurricane Ian Who's riding it out?

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fellow Floridian in the path should rely on the NWS and local authorities for guidance -- TWC, Accuweather, facebook "experts," etc. all derive their information from NWS/NOAA data. And the NWS doesn't have a profit motive or "clout" to consider.

For the Gulf coast and central-west Florida residents, the Tampa Bay Weather Forecasting Office is your local office
For central-east and Atlantic coast residents, the Melbourne office is yours
For South Florida residents, you get Miami
And, of course, the NHC applies to all of us.
There's profit motives to hurricanes now too? The paranoia is real.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am riding it out. I am north of Orlando and right now it looks like it will pass south of us. I might lose power but we have battery back up so I should be good.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's profit motives to hurricanes now too? The paranoia is real.

Huh? Paranoia?

The Weather Channel and Accuweather don't exist as charities. Profit matters to them. I didn't realize that fact was indicative of paranoia. I'm merely pointing out that while informing the public might be their main goal -- they also have other goals that might not always perfectly align with that. Unlike the NWS.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? Paranoia?

The Weather Channel and Accuweather don't exist as charities. Profit matters to them. I didn't realize that fact was indicative of paranoia. I'm merely pointing out that while informing the public might be their main goal -- they also have other goals that might not always perfectly align with that. Unlike the NWS.
Ok but what's the conspiracy here? What's the lies and rumors about this hurricane so far?

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? Paranoia?

I am sure they make enough off of commercials and donations to not have to report a hurricane going south when it's really going north though. That's a stretch. They get their info just like all of us. They have a team that watches models and they listen to the national weather service as well as noaa.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the Disney area of Orange County. Looks like this thing is tracking to go right over us. Probably going to be without power for a good bit.

I’ve got battery backup for about 30 hours for the main tank and bubblers for the nano for quite a bit longer. Also have my generator with 20 gallons of gas. Also both vehicles filled with gas and both have AC outlets I could power a pump with in a pinch. Also have a power inverter I can hookup to one if needed.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure they make enough off of commercials and donations to not have to report a hurricane going south when it's really going north though.

Remember when they tried to name winter storms?

I'm not saying that they're falsifying things. I'm just saying there is often some extra "fluff" to wade through to get information from for-profit companies as opposed to a public service. And I've absolutely seen totally wrong guidance by FB weather "experts." I'm not saying this as someone who just checks the weather occasionally to see if it's going to rain. I'm a former met major (changed major due to market saturation), am a trained Skywarn spotter, and feed local weather data into official data ingest routes for numerical weather modeling use.

I've been following Ian since before it was even an invest - both because weather is one of my dominant interests (and has been since my parents read newspaper articles about Hugo to me in the late 80's) and because I live on the Florida coast.

By all means, use whatever you want. I've met many people that didn't even know the NWS provided forecasts for the average joe. Just wanted to caution that these entities are not the same as the NWS and I've seen people led astray in much less consequential situations depending on the source they choose.

Last edited:

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not saying that they're falsifying things or anything. I'm just saying there is often some extra "fluff" to wade through to get information from for-profit companies as opposed to a public service.
Alright so what's the problem with naming a winter storm?

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not saying that they're falsifying things. I'm just saying there is often some extra "fluff" to wade through to get information from for-profit companies as opposed to a public service. And I've absolutely seen totally wrong guidance by FB weather "experts." I'm not saying this as someone who just checks the weather occasionally to see if it's going to rain. I'm a former met major (changed major due to market saturation), am a trained Skywarn spotter, and feed local weather data into official data ingest routes for numerical weather modeling use.

I've been following Ian since before it was even an invest - both because weather is one of my dominant interests (and has been since my parents read newspaper articles about Hugo to me in the late 80's) and because I live on the Florida coast.

By all means, use whatever you want. I've met many people that didn't even know the NWS provided forecasts for the average joe. Just wanted to caution that these entities are not the same as the NWS and I've seen people led astray in much less consequential situations depending on the source they choose.
We were talking The Weather Channel and AccuWeather mainly. Pretty sure that even as a gaff of naming winter storms it still doesn't mean they are giving out false info for profit or not giving the best forecast they can. As for tic toc or Facebook wanna be meteorologist, there are some good and some bad. Best to get info from every area you can and draw your own conclusion in my book. It's going to be bad either way and I don't think profits have anything to do with someone's predictions. That's what we are all getting at.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who have never been in a Hurricane.. Here's the difference from a winter storm. During power loss you can always bundle up to stay warm. I can't strip down to my birthday suit and walk around after a hurricane. The humidity from all the rain paired with already unbearable heat is on a whole different level of miserable when you don't have any power. Not to mention all of your food spoils etc...

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the bright side. Hurricanes fill up all the underground caverns, which helps prevent sink holes. Hurricanes last three days, sink holes last forever.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is Miami Beach right now:
No boats or cruise ships at the port
1664316807288.jpeg
1664316839240.jpeg

last night:

1664316887167.jpeg

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am, but i am on the east coast, So lsat i saw tropical force winds and 10" of rain. I hope the power does not go out or my tank will crash as i have just small ups on it for now.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back