Hurricane Ian Who's riding it out?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe they can leave them out the door and they will swim to you, hehehe
Before you order from LA take a look at reef beauties. I've ordered from them a couple of times for hard to find fish in my area that I wanted. Both times fish arrived healthy and clean.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievable here in The Villages. Lot of these people that replanted here from northern areas have no idea what a hurricane is and how bad it can get. They are all out playing pickle ball wondering what all the excitements about. Can’t wait to see their faces Thursday afternoon. Good ole Florida weather welcome.

For me, I installed a whole house Generac emergency generator before I set up the tank. I’m ready. Close neighbors are already wanting to load up my spare refrigerator with their frozen food. I think the Hurricane party will be at my house. Great! I don’t have to drink and drive.
Hey fellow villager!

Heather Kastory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in direct path now of northern bands..thankfully prepped with generator for tank and fridge.. prepped with all else. Bigger issue is the aftermath of tornadoes and damaged power lines dangling and not to mention fallen trees in road or on houses falling from so much rain water...These hurricanes when bad are bad. If you have never been through one, it sounds like your house is talking when it passes over close enough. House shakes...hums..very frightening. You don't know if your roof will be torn off or what will happen..completely helpless Scary as the worst ever and not a party. Hopefully it weakens.. Stay safe Florida.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in direct path now of northern bands..thankfully prepped with generator for tank and fridge.. prepped with all else. Bigger issue is the aftermath of tornadoes and damaged power lines dangling and not to mention fallen trees in road or on houses falling from so much rain water...These hurricanes when bad are bad. If you have never been through one, it sounds like your house is talking when it passes over close enough. House shakes...hums..very frightening. You don't know if your roof will be torn off or what will happen..completely helpless Scary as the worst ever and not a party. Hopefully it weakens.. Stay safe Florida.
Yes, during Charlie the one thing I remember is literally watching my windows flex as the air was being sucked out of the house the wind was so strong and feeling the pressure drop.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We try our best to "enjoy" it. But yeah, scary it is. Harnesses will go on all dogs in the morning and if necessary we'll all stay on the first floor. If really necessary, we'll go to the one room for 5-6 people and 4 scared doggo's.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stay safe today fellow Floridians!
E5FA86F6-5EFB-4AE1-9FC1-0683819B305C.jpeg

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lived in Daytona for a few years and got my share of running from hurricanes. Guys if you are in a mandatory evacuation zone please leave before its too late. Things can be replaced, keep yourself and your families safe.

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's going to be a rough few days.

Generator checked repaired and working.
Portable a/c units ready and working
Extra fans ready.
Ice for fish food ready
Full tanks of gas and a few 5gal cans ready.

All we can do now is wait.

Keep Tampa in your thoughts! We got this!
Ian.png
I used to live in Clearwater/St. Pete area, so I know the feeling. Good luck, man!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a picture of our property on Pine Island from 2 weeks ago which is in Charlotte Harbor west of Cape Coral. Probably taking a direct hit today with 12-15 ft storm surge. Man I hope my new neighbors took heed of the mandatory evacuations and got the hell out of there. Alot of the houses are on stilts but that won't matter with 155mph winds.
IMG_20220912_124617385_MP.jpg

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treasure Coast here.
We've had tornado warnings, with some weak wind and rain.
Not my first rodeo. It is my first rodeo with a Reef Tank.

hurrican ian.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip Fort Myers, I lived there for a year... watching the tweets... not much of Fort Myers left. Some people were trying to swim in the surge and getting thrown all over... :rolleyes: - Another guy just swimming around in his house (gross).

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip Fort Myers, I lived there for a year... watching the tweets... not much of Fort Myers left. Some people were trying to swim in the surge and getting thrown all over... :rolleyes: - Another guy just swimming around in his house (gross).
They might take it seriously next time. These hurricanes are no joke now.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Stay safe, everyone. My wife's 90 year old grandmother is in a hospital in Fort Myers (she was there for a blood pressure issue and they kept her there due to the storm). She's been in Florida for over 40 years and couldn't care less about another storm. She's outlived 3 of her 6 children, her husband, and all of her siblings. She's as tough as she is stubborn!

For all of you with reef tanks, I hope you are well prepared. Harvey made it's initial landfall about 15 miles from my house. I was well prepared with a generator, etc. But my window unit a/c that I bought specifically for power outtages, died on me. I was HEAVILY invested (well into 5 figures) in the hobby and lost far more than I would like to mention... more than I even want to think about, lol. I was about 15 years into the hobby at the time and very seriously considered getting out. Glad I didn't, this hobby is like therapy for me. It keeps me sane. Once again, good luck to all of you in Ian's path. I hope that you, your loved ones, and your tanks all make it through this well.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a text that the Sanibel Causeway collapsed. All those people who live there are trapped. The power is out there too. Does anyone know if this is true? I can't image this could happen since it is about 10 years old made out of steel and cement

ETA:
A chunk of the Sanibel Causeway fell into the gulf, cutting off access to the barrier island where 6,300 people normally live. How many heeded mandatory evacuation orders was impossible to know in the storm’s immediate aftermath.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a text that the Sanibel Causeway collapsed. All those people who live there are trapped. The power is out there too. Does anyone know if this is true? I can't image this could happen since it is about 10 years old made out of steel and cement

ETA:

Yeah it’s true, Google it for pictures.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ETA:
I’m not from Florida and don’t know anything other than what I read but it seems to be true

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back