Hurricane preparedness

chasentwins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I'm going through a Florida hurricane with an salt aquarium for the first time! What are some preping ideas or things to consider? Thanks

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef and I'm sorry we have to talk about this. I'm praying this monster goes north before it hits Florida.

If you have to leave the tank, battery bubblers to keep the tank oxygenated is top of the list when the power goes out. A generator is the best option to keep the power to the tank going. Corals can go without light for 3-4 days, so keeping the flow going will keep fish and corals alive.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Pompano so im getting hit to. I only have 4 bubblers rated for 10g for my 10g tank. All my stuff is going In 5g buckets so I can evacuate if needed. Should I leave the sand or put it at the bottom of the tank?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Pompano so im getting hit to. I only have 4 bubblers rated for 10g for my 10g tank. All my stuff is going In 5g buckets so I can evacuate if needed. Should I leave the sand or put it at the bottom of the tank?

Sand in separate containers, like Tupperware, in the buckets of tank water if you have the room. Keeps the sand alive, but keeps it from ending up all over the place making a mess. Easier to deal with later.

Good luck, praying for you guys!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back