Husbandry of garden eels in a mixed reef setup

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my garden eel has been living happily in the mixed reef environment in the past 6 months. I shot a video on my journey with this little creature since the very early introduction to the tank. The most fun part is the observation of the way it poops!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was fascinating. I always thought that garden eels would be more difficult to keep and needed a species only tank and multiple individuals to be happy and thriving. I kept and raised seahorses for about 5 years and wondered if garden eels would be good tank mates to the ponies. It seems like they would.

OP
OP
zzyz

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was fascinating. I always thought that garden eels would be more difficult to keep and needed a species only tank and multiple individuals to be happy and thriving. I kept and raised seahorses for about 5 years and wondered if garden eels would be good tank mates to the ponies. It seems like they would.
Thank you vlangel. Yes, they get along. I have a seahorse in my quarantining tank and they were quite friendly with each other. My gut feeling is that slow moving creatures are usually compatible with each other.

dero13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i watched the video and fell in love with the cute little eel :) i also wanted to make sure i heard you correctly in the video. you said you had a 2.5'' sandbed? thats reassuring as i thought they needed a deeper sandbed. i guess they can just burrow horizontally as opposed to vertically if need be. any update on the lil guy?

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my garden eel has been living happily in the mixed reef environment in the past 6 months. I shot a video on my journey with this little creature since the very early introduction to the tank. The most fun part is the observation of the way it poops!

Very very nice!!

What are the current tankmates for the eel?

What fish have you added that you need to remove because it wasn't compatible with the eel?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back