Hybrid TTM to treat all parasites!

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound like a crazy question. I know copper and inverts don't mix. But could this be used on your motile inverts instead of putting them in a fallow QT for 76 days? Additionally, could this work on removing fish parasites (and other issues) from coral you have in QT?

I don't think that would work. I forget the different names, but fish have the parasite in the feeding stage (falls off 3-5 days) while inverts would have them attached in the dormant/breeding stage (up to 28 days). The point of TTM is to rid fish of the parasites that fall off while not giving any new ones time to attach.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if anyone has used H2O2 in the 150ppm dosage as a dip or pre treatment for corals, anemones, and inverts before adding to a system. Thoughts?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if anyone has used H2O2 in the 150ppm dosage as a dip or pre treatment for corals, anemones, and inverts before adding to a system. Thoughts?

I know some people using it as a dip for coral pests. However, I don't think acros tolerate it too well. I'll try to dig up some dosing info for you.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people using it as a dip for coral pests. However, I don't think acros tolerate it too well. I'll try to dig up some dosing info for you.

1/3 H2O2 + 2/3 saltwater for 3-5 minutes. Not all corals will tolerate this (i.e. acros). However, most soft corals, LPS and montis did fine.

After the dip, place the coral in clean saltwater for another 3-5 minutes and swirl it around to remove any excess H2O2. Great for removing nuisance algae and coral pests. No data on parasite tomonts yet. ;Bookworm

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/3 H2O2 + 2/3 saltwater for 3-5 minutes. Not all corals will tolerate this (i.e. acros). However, most soft corals, LPS and montis did fine.

After the dip, place the coral in clean saltwater for another 3-5 minutes and swirl it around to remove any excess H2O2. Great for removing nuisance algae and coral pests. No data on parasite tomonts yet. ;Bookworm

Thanks @Humblefish ! I’d be curious to see how it might effect parasite tomonts. Could be a cool test

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommended dosage for the 30 min H2O2 bath is now 150 ppm.

Hi @Humblefish and others,
I've done TTM a few times but have some questions about the new process (thanks, I'm excited about it):
  1. *If needed, can I use Prime or Amquel in the tank before using peroxide?
  2. *I'm about to start this with a Halichoeres Melanurus Wrasse. Can I use a bowl of sand (dry?)?
  3. I'm just curious about why you don't want any flow during the peroxide dosing? And if no flow, do you do anything to mix it in evenly?
  4. Similarly, if the Melanurus is hiding in the sand, will it not get the benefit of the treatment? Maybe the sand should be removed first?
  5. 150 PPM is safe for wrasses?
  6. It's suggested to not use plastic. Are PVC tubes okay? Will one Tupperware type dish for the sand be okay? I'll try to find a glass container if this is a significant concern.
  7. Is there any point in using PraziPro in addition to the peroxide, or is that redundant?
  8. *Do you have any suggestions for treating possible bacterial infections (known or unknown) during this process just to make sure they aren't any before adding to the DT?
Sorry for so many questions! I starred the most important ones. :)

I did the same with some wrasses-
Melanurus

@CDavmd how did your Melanurus do with the process? Did you add some sand in a bowl or something? Thanks!
--Kyle

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CDavmd how did your Melanurus do with the process? Did you add some sand in a bowl or something? Thanks!
--Kyle
[/QUOTE]

I don't quite understand the question....I did TTM with sand, but the peroxide baths were done in a small bowl with nothing but water. I would not add sand to the peroxide bath, it is not necessary as the bath is only 30 minutes. The melanurus did fine.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound like a crazy question. I know copper and inverts don't mix. But could this be used on your motile inverts instead of putting them in a fallow QT for 76 days? Additionally, could this work on removing fish parasites (and other issues) from coral you have in QT?
@Humblefish, would love to see what you think about think as I am curious about it as well

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--Kyle

I don't quite understand the question....I did TTM with sand, but the peroxide baths were done in a small bowl with nothing but water. I would not add sand to the peroxide bath, it is not necessary as the bath is only 30 minutes. The melanurus did fine.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just wondering if you did TTM with sand. Glad to hear it did well for you!
--Kyle

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey @Humblefish! Just reading through and enjoying this post. I've had two clowns in a 10 galloon QT tank for a few months. Battling white stringy poo, still. Treated with GC/Focus in food and Prazi in the water. Seemed to help but after 2 weeks of GC/food and two prazipro doses as per the instructions, white stringy poop and lethargy returned. I probably should have gone another week with both.

I have zero space for another QT tank. I've resumed GC feeding and Prazi.

Thoughts on me doing a 30-minute whole QT tank H202 treatment at 150 ppm and then doing a 90% QT water change? I feel like this could kill any external parasites/worms and those in the water column at the sensitive larval stage?

Thanks,
Ross

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about doing this one-third 3% H2O2 to two-thirds saltwater 3-5 minute dip for new fish before entering a DT or QT tank? Too much stress? Benefits of a freshwater dip are higher? Perhaps a freshwater dip with H2O2? Getting carried away here am I...

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about doing this one-third 3% H2O2 to two-thirds saltwater 3-5 minute dip for new fish before entering a DT or QT tank? Too much stress? Benefits of a freshwater dip are higher? Perhaps a freshwater dip with H2O2? Getting carried away here am I...

I would not expose fish to higher than 150 ppm, for any longer than 30 minutes, at this time.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Humblefish and the rest of you for this amazing info (as always)! It's just in time, as I'm getting ready to receive a fresh batch of fish to replace some I lost in my ich battle and subsequent QT experience, and I will be using this hybrid method with 2 osc clowns and a diamond goby. I will report my experience and success or any problems encountered.

Should I report here, or is there a new thread for reports?

Again, thanks!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting @Humblefish I will definitely be following. I've done a fair amount of H202 tank dosing and dipping and I will say one big thing is to use a BRAND NEW bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Bottles that have been open for some time are definitely not as effective and I could see that being a big problem for some using this treatment.

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting @Humblefish I will definitely be following. I've done a fair amount of H202 tank dosing and dipping and I will say one big thing is to use a BRAND NEW bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Bottles that have been open for some time are definitely not as effective and I could see that being a big problem for some using this treatment.

Agreed. I made sure to get some fresh H2O2 myself, even though I had a fairly new bottle. And for $1 at the Dollar Tree, who cares?
--Kyle

00Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly different scenario here: I have a tank that previously had velvet but is now empty of any livestock. Would dosing hydrogen peroxide be effective in nuking any velvet that may be left in the substrate or rock? If so, what sort of concentration should I be looking at since there is no livestock at stake?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly different scenario here: I have a tank that previously had velvet but is now empty of any livestock. Would dosing hydrogen peroxide be effective in nuking any velvet that may be left in the substrate or rock? If so, what sort of concentration should I be looking at since there is no livestock at stake?
I don't think it will hurt but to my knowledge wouldn't reduce the necessary fallow period. If there are corals or other inverts I would go 1mL/10gallons 2x daily.

00Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will hurt but to my knowledge wouldn't reduce the necessary fallow period. If there are corals or other inverts I would go 1mL/10gallons 2x daily.

This does strike at the heart of my question - could it perhaps reduce the fallow period or in the alternate provide some additional redundancy for it. The tank is currently just water, rock, and sand, so I could attempt large doses if it may be worthwhile.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does strike at the heart of my question - could it perhaps reduce the fallow period or in the alternate provide some additional redundancy for it. The tank is currently just water, rock, and sand, so I could attempt large doses if it may be worthwhile.
Redundancy yes. To hope for it to reduce to fallow period you would be the n of 1 for now as far as I know.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back