Hybrid TTM to treat all parasites!

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Humblefish and the rest of you for this amazing info (as always)! It's just in time, as I'm getting ready to receive a fresh batch of fish to replace some I lost in my ich battle and subsequent QT experience, and I will be using this hybrid method with 2 osc clowns and a diamond goby. I will report my experience and success or any problems encountered.

Should I report here, or is there a new thread for reports?

Again, thanks!
Update:
I am currently on Day 9. All went very well with the H2O2 baths. I did them on Day 1 and Day 7 to be safe. Using the TTM as described by Humblefish. Since I have 2 clowns, I'm doing Metroplex dosing first and will do Prazi after that, since they are more prone to Brook.

So far so good! :)

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running this on a flame angel right now, but I’m doing the H2O2 baths every transfer (transfers every 2-3 days). The angelfish doesn’t seem to notice the baths at all. I’m also using cheap steralite containers from target for holding him and doing the baths in the containers. It’s really simple tbh.

I did the last transfer today, and he’ll be going into my tank either tomorrow or the day after that.
B07FA762-A564-4BE3-9A59-C2C5B9A1AC63.jpeg
B8D3F6E4-A194-4C1F-BA6A-B5C1F64ABA37.jpeg

BC942C93-A971-42CB-BB36-CA550DA02DF3.png

Last edited:

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running this on a flame angel right now, but I’m doing the H2O2 baths every transfer (transfers every 2-3 days). The angelfish doesn’t seem to notice the baths at all. I’m also using cheap steralite containers from target for holding him and doing the baths in the containers. It’s really simple tbh.

I did the last transfer today, and he’ll be going into my tank either tomorrow or the day after that.
B07FA762-A564-4BE3-9A59-C2C5B9A1AC63.jpeg
B8D3F6E4-A194-4C1F-BA6A-B5C1F64ABA37.jpeg

BC942C93-A971-42CB-BB36-CA550DA02DF3.png

Are you doing the containers for 2-3 days with only an air stone and dosing prime? Or just moving there for the bath?

I haven't read through this in awhile, but I seem to recall someone mentioning plastic wasn't good with the H2O2

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing the containers for 2-3 days with only an air stone and dosing prime? Or just moving there for the bath?

I haven't read through this in awhile, but I seem to recall someone mentioning plastic wasn't good with the H2O2

I only used prime once, and that was on a third day when I knew my transfer was going to be delayed by a few hours. The entire time the flame angel was in only about 1.0 to 1.1~ gallon of water. On the first few days to adjust the salinty I added some RO to lower the salinity since most wholesalers have their fish around 1.018 to 1.021. If I had larger fish to QT or multiples, I would use a larger container or maybe need to dose Prime more but for this one flame angel it was totally adequate. If doing the transfers every other day (so 48~ hours) you most likely wouldn't even need to use prime at all.

I did the H2O2 baths inside the containers. Like mentioned above, I used a gallon of water so it made my dosage very easy to calculate (20ml per gallon). This allowed me to shut off the airstone, add the H2O2 to the tub, and hit the timer for 30 minutes. I filled my new container with salt water, and set it in the larger bath container to get the temperature right. After the 30 minutes was up I transferred the fish.

I kept him in these tubs the entire time. I bought them from target and used a new tub each time. Next go around, I'll clean them out and use them again.

As for the plasitc on the H2O2, I never noticed any negatives with it. I think it is just an additional precaution that @Humblefish recommends. H2O2 comes in a plastic container (Plastic #2 - High-density polyethylene (HDPE)) and the target Sterilite containers are plastic (Plastic #5 - Polypropylene (PP)). Both of these are food safe plastics and to me are safe to use IMHO. I could be wrong, but that is my logic. It also made this a very affordable way to QT the fish. I basically had a larger container with the heater and fresh water in it, and the smaller tubs resting inside of it. So this allowed me to only need to replace the tubs and airstones and tubing. I didn't need multiples of everything other than those.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only used prime once, and that was on a third day when I knew my transfer was going to be delayed by a few hours. The entire time the flame angel was in only about 1.0 to 1.1~ gallon of water. On the first few days to adjust the salinty I added some RO to lower the salinity since most wholesalers have their fish around 1.018 to 1.021. If I had larger fish to QT or multiples, I would use a larger container or maybe need to dose Prime more but for this one flame angel it was totally adequate. If doing the transfers every other day (so 48~ hours) you most likely wouldn't even need to use prime at all.

I did the H2O2 baths inside the containers. Like mentioned above, I used a gallon of water so it made my dosage very easy to calculate (20ml per gallon). This allowed me to shut off the airstone, add the H2O2 to the tub, and hit the timer for 30 minutes. I filled my new container with salt water, and set it in the larger bath container to get the temperature right. After the 30 minutes was up I transferred the fish.

I kept him in these tubs the entire time. I bought them from target and used a new tub each time. Next go around, I'll clean them out and use them again.

As for the plasitc on the H2O2, I never noticed any negatives with it. I think it is just an additional precaution that @Humblefish recommends. H2O2 comes in a plastic container (Plastic #2 - High-density polyethylene (HDPE)) and the target Sterilite containers are plastic (Plastic #5 - Polypropylene (PP)). Both of these are food safe plastics and to me are safe to use IMHO. I could be wrong, but that is my logic. It also made this a very affordable way to QT the fish. I basically had a larger container with the heater and fresh water in it, and the smaller tubs resting inside of it. So this allowed me to only need to replace the tubs and airstones and tubing. I didn't need multiples of everything other than those.
Seems reasonable to me. But I know very little about plastic. I use a 2.5 gallon glass tank I picked up for $5. It has been handy for atleast 8 years or so.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice things falling off fish while in dip?
I have a black tang in QT along with 3 neon gobies. They all looks good with no spots whatsoever or anything while looking at it in the qt tank. However, the gobies are always cleaning the tang. As soon as I put the tang in the peroxide these spot show up after a couple minutes and will start falling off and sinking to the bottom of container. Fish have already been treated for flukes so not sure what I am seeing. Is it ich and not showing on fish becauses gobies are always cleaning it or something else?
Black tang.jpg

Black tang2.jpg

Last edited:

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about this method. I had a failed attempt at this with a springerei damsel.
Day 1: fish with ragged fins from fish store but eating. Possibly breathing rapidly. Did 150 ppm bath for 30 minutes.
Day 2: no eating, breathing rapidly, no external sores. I became worried based on the fish appearance so I started copper power at 1 ppm.
Day 3: noticeable velvet on skin, severe rapid breathing, not eating. Copper power raised to 2.44 ppm Hanna
Day 4: breathing improved, skin rash getting better. Still not eating
Even though I did bath on day 1 the fish rapidly got worse and now appears to improve with copper. I’m not confident that the peroxide is making a difference.

Also I’m worried about the state of the hobby. Last 3 fish I picked up from 3 different LFS all came down with velvet during QT. This is a shame. I’m concerned their low copper levels suppress but not kill the parasite and when in a clean environment they rapidly spread.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about this method. I had a failed attempt at this with a springerei damsel.
Day 1: fish with ragged fins from fish store but eating. Possibly breathing rapidly. Did 150 ppm bath for 30 minutes.
Day 2: no eating, breathing rapidly, no external sores. I became worried based on the fish appearance so I started copper power at 1 ppm.
Day 3: noticeable velvet on skin, severe rapid breathing, not eating. Copper power raised to 2.44 ppm Hanna
Day 4: breathing improved, skin rash getting better. Still not eating
Even though I did bath on day 1 the fish rapidly got worse and now appears to improve with copper. I’m not confident that the peroxide is making a difference.

Also I’m worried about the state of the hobby. Last 3 fish I picked up from 3 different LFS all came down with velvet during QT. This is a shame. I’m concerned their low copper levels suppress but not kill the parasite and when in a clean environment they rapidly spread.
Personally I wouldn't buy from them or at least have the conversation and then get fish when they come in to the shop before they enter their tanks. Sad to see for sure.

Out of curiosity was the peroxide bottle brand new?

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't buy from them or at least have the conversation and then get fish when they come in to the shop before they enter their tanks. Sad to see for sure.

Out of curiosity was the peroxide bottle brand new?
Thanks for your reply. It was brand new peroxide from Costco. 5cc in 1 quart of water x 30 minutes without aeration. Dropped fish in QT and he was eating right away. 24 hours later had evidence of velvet with symptoms mentioned above.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times can you safely do a peroxide dip on the same fish? And how many days apart?

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times can you safely do a peroxide dip on the same fish? And how many days apart?
Not sure how many times it can be done, but I'm doing it per Humblefish's recommendation - twice, once on Day 1 and again on Day 7, so 5 days between doses. Also doing it in glass containers, as recommended.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP says 4/10, but 1/7 should work based on "Please note that H2O2 is only dosed twice, 6 days apart and for a maximum of 30 minutes."

I decided against day 1 because I would be preparing water for a 30 minute bath, and then into their 3 day stay water.

I am currently on day 10 of me trying this method the first time....

2G of water, a carpenter's wrasse and mccoskers.

Day 1 - 1/13/2020 10pm (1.021 salinity bc fix came in lower water)
Day 4 - 1/16/2020 10pm - peroxide before xfer (1.022 salinity) (didn't react when peroxide added)
Day 7 - 1/19/2020 10pm - peroxide before xfer (1.023 salinity) (labored breathing / laying on side, recovered next day)
Day 10 - 1/22/2020 10pm - peroxide before xfer (1.024 salinity) (labored breathing / laying on side, hopefully will recover tomorrow)

Day 13 - 1/25/2020 10pm - moving to observation @ 1.025

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is a stupid question..
I've got one fish that's been in QT for 14 days total. He's been through the metro/general cure that was outlined in another thread.
I'd like to switch to this ttm rather than trying 14 days of copper as this seems easier.

Can I do the first peroxide treatment now, and transfer him into a second tank and count that as the first 4 day portion of this treatment? Or do I need to start the full 14 day regiment fresh from day 1?

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP says 4/10, but 1/7 should work based on "Please note that H2O2 is only dosed twice, 6 days apart and for a maximum of 30 minutes."

I decided against day 1 because I would be preparing water for a 30 minute bath, and then into their 3 day stay water.

Day 4 - 1/16/2020 10pm - peroxide before xfer (1.022 salinity) (didn't react when peroxide added)
Day 7 - 1/19/2020 10pm - peroxide before xfer (1.023 salinity) (labored breathing / laying on side, recovered next day)
Day 10 - 1/22/2020 10pm - peroxide before xfer (1.024 salinity) (labored breathing / laying on side, hopefully will recover tomorrow)

How did everything work out?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh WOW I just read the hole thread. I am also on the fence about Qting...I know I know
but this could push me over I have copper and the hanna cheaker for the new build but maybe i will switch to hybrid TTM .

any more info on this use for corals one of my main reason for not liking qting is qting everything for so long.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh WOW I just read the hole thread. I am also on the fence about Qting...I know I know
but this could push me over I have copper and the hanna cheaker for the new build but maybe i will switch to hybrid TTM .

any more info on this use for corals one of my main reason for not liking qting is qting everything for so long.
Yeah, TTM for inverts would be great, if effective.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HOw are your wrasses?

I had the same combo and did the hybrid TTM- worked perfectly, but on transfer to my 20l observation tank, they both got spooked and rammed into the side of the tank. Mcoskers was instant DOA, carpenters broke its back and died a few hours later. So gutted. Beautiful specimens too.

I haven't had the heart to yo to again because, frankly, they were becoming my favourite fishes and I was devastated. I shut my entire QT down (3 x fish QT, 3 coral and invert qts) for 4 months and only last week set it back up for a tomini tang.

bigfish1152

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they both got spooked and rammed into the side of the tank. Mcoskers was instant DOA, carpenters broke its back and died a few hours later. So gutted. Beautiful specimens too.

That was a freak accident! I would go for it again if I were you. Dont let that stop you from getting that dream fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back