Hybrid TTM to treat all parasites!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experimenting with higher concentrations during a 30 min bath. To figure out which diseases H2O2 can and cannot eliminate in one shot.

But for now the 75ppm 30 min bath should be safe since I have already used it on over 50 different species of fish.
That’s great.

How are you measuring effectiveness of parasite removal? Black molly test?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring effectiveness of parasite removal? Black molly test?

Black molly test + gill scrapes if the fish is large enough. I'm not gonna attempt sedation + gill scrape on a Pseudanthias tuka for example. ;)

The hardest part is finding fish with obvious symptoms of velvet, brook, etc. to perform the baths on. I don't live near a Petco, so I'm reaching out to LFS, local FB groups, etc. to find sick fish. Most of the fish I get in from wholesalers look clean because they were kept in subtherapeutic copper prior to being shipped to me. As this practice becomes more widespread and copper resistant strains of ich & velvet become more common, it necessitates finding alternative treatments (like H2O2.)

Jimmy Elder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a pole for data collecting on this of some sort. There are enough hobbiests and owners in here that fish could go through this daily.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I put a Stary Blenny through this treatment. He still has white spots all over him ; ). I fed metro infuse food through out the treatment to get ride of any worms or internal Uronema. Im going to do a black molly test tonight and a fresh water dip tomorrow to make sure there are no Ich, velvet, or flukes.

He handled the Peroxide dip with out any issue.

THis got me thinking about Chromis. I have struggled with getting chromis to survive. They typically die off within 2-3 days of me receiving them. Most of them are showing signs of Uronema in the bags. Could doing peroxide dips right out of the bag give the chromis a fighting chance.

Also wouldn't it make more sense to take any fish out of the bag, into the peroxide dip, then into a clean qt right from the start?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I put a Stary Blenny through this treatment. He still has white spots all over him ; ).

For a second I was like, "Oh no!" And then I remembered. ;)

Also wouldn't it make more sense to take any fish out of the bag, into the peroxide dip, then into a clean qt right from the start?

Most definitely. :)

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experimenting with higher concentrations during a 30 min bath. To figure out which diseases H2O2 can and cannot eliminate in one shot.

But for now the 75ppm 30 min bath should be safe since I have already used it on over 50 different species of fish.

Over 50 species of fish... so far all species tolerate it fine?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any indication that this will be effective against velvet? Maybe a higher concentration or multiple dips?

Thanks

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Just wanted to point out that there's no reason why 45 mins in formalin couldn't be used in lieu of H2O2: Formalin (use the bath treatment dosage)

45 minutes in formalin has the same killing effect on surface parasites/worms, and you can continue to run filtration/pumps with it in the water. However, it must be proper formalin (37% formaldehyde) for consistency. The main drawback to using formalin is it is a known carcinogen.

Everything stays the same as above, just do a 45 min formalin bath instead of a 30 min H2O2 bath prior to transferring. (I know many hobbyists already doing this with success.)

Further reading on using formalin to control fish parasites: http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Use-of-Formalin-to-Control-Fish-Parasites.pdf

Very interested in trying this method. Also, why can I not use plastic steralite containers for this? Does plastic react to the H2O2?

Also instead of formalin, could I just use Ruby Reef Rally instead? Have you done any further in depth testing on RRR against velvet? Using RRR either as a bath at the levels you suggest, or an extended treatment as recommended on the instructions with TTM?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in trying this method. Also, why can I not use plastic steralite containers for this? Does plastic react to the H2O2?

Also instead of formalin, could I just use Ruby Reef Rally instead? Have you done any further in depth testing on RRR against velvet? Using RRR either as a bath at the levels you suggest, or an extended treatment as recommended on the instructions with TTM?
I remember Bobby telling me that plastic is not good and it reduced the effectiveness at a minimum. I'll let him answer definitively.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to use this hybrid TTM for a fox face and wanted to share my observations.

I did things a little bit differently, however. I first placed the Foxface in a 15 gallon QT with a mature biofilter, and a small jaebo 12W UV filter. He stayed in this tank for 4 weeks, eating like a champ. I fed LRS and NLS. Recentl started NLS with probiotics.
Next placed him in a formalin dip using the instructions on Safety Stop. My understanding is that the green part is formalin. The fish put on his stressed colors, layed againts the side of bucket, and pooped in the medicated bucket. By the way I looked at the matter left in the bucket thinking that some of it was parasites but all I found was poop. :) I think anyway...no signs of parasites though.
He then went into a clean mature 20L for 4 days.
On the 4th day I did a hydrogen peroxide bath according the the instuctions provided. He appeared much less stressed than in the formalin bath. Normal colors, swimming around. He then went into the newly sanitized 15G that has a new mature biofilter running.
I think I am on day 3 and tomorrow he will get a H2O2 soak and then into clean tank. I have been under the weather and I am hopeful I can get my teenagers to help. LOL :)

@HotRocks
I am not familiar with foxface fish behavior as I have been scairt of them. In the last couple days I sometimes think I see redish/pink at his base of his tail. Is this of concern for bacterial infection or just transient color they can display? No pictures, sorry. Just cant see it in a picture

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to use this hybrid TTM for a fox face and wanted to share my observations.

I did things a little bit differently, however. I first placed the Foxface in a 15 gallon QT with a mature biofilter, and a small jaebo 12W UV filter. He stayed in this tank for 4 weeks, eating like a champ. I fed LRS and NLS. Recentl started NLS with probiotics.
Next placed him in a formalin dip using the instructions on Safety Stop. My understanding is that the green part is formalin. The fish put on his stressed colors, layed againts the side of bucket, and pooped in the medicated bucket. By the way I looked at the matter left in the bucket thinking that some of it was parasites but all I found was poop. :) I think anyway...no signs of parasites though.
He then went into a clean mature 20L for 4 days.
On the 4th day I did a hydrogen peroxide bath according the the instuctions provided. He appeared much less stressed than in the formalin bath. Normal colors, swimming around. He then went into the newly sanitized 15G that has a new mature biofilter running.
I think I am on day 3 and tomorrow he will get a H2O2 soak and then into clean tank. I have been under the weather and I am hopeful I can get my teenagers to help. LOL :)

@HotRocks
I am not familiar with foxface fish behavior as I have been scairt of them. In the last couple days I sometimes think I see redish/pink at his base of his tail. Is this of concern for bacterial infection or just transient color they can display? No pictures, sorry. Just cant see it in a picture
#reefsquad

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I miss this thread? !

I've always been a fan of TTM and before velvet became so common I used it almost exclusively to treat for Ich. What a breakthrough if this turns out to be effective!

Thanks Bobbie! Cutting edge stuff.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody out there? ;Shamefullyembarrased Echoing around...
I dosed GC to be on the safe side. But if anyone can offer a little reassurance...
@4FordFamily @HotRocks @Crabs McJones
#reefsquad

It might be best to start a separate thread for this question? It may have been overlooked because of the main subject of the thread.

That could be a bacterial infection. It would greatly help to have a good picture of the area with the redness. Hopefully HotRocks or 4FordFamily will see the notification and chime in soon! Good luck with the FoxFace. They are cool, unique fish!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else used this method? I am very curious about this topic, I am also starting to get my eyes on some fish for my new setup and am seriously considering using this Method.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else used this method? I am very curious about this topic, I am also starting to get my eyes on some fish for my new setup and am seriously considering using this Method.
I did. The fish is now sitting in an observation tank. The first transfer I used formalin, the next two I did perioxide. I observed that the fish tolerated the peroxide dip better. So far he looks good. I did use a single GC in this obs tank. Still feeding and observing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back