Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if anyone is curious on how they are mounted

20170823_020348.jpg
20170823_020401.jpg

Don't mind the wires, I didn't tuck them away because I wasn't sure how I would like them mounted this way. I ended up liking the mount but now these other issues have come up.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the t5 fixtures mounted and hooked up, but I must say I am very disappointed in them to this point. Every time they turn on they trip my gfci! It doesn't matter if I only turn one on or both on at the same time, it always trips. At first I thought it was the extension cord I was using because after I swapped it out they both came on without tripping. But then when they were programmed to come on this evening they popped again.

I am definitely frustrated but I'm sure @Bulk Reef Supply will take care of me. I sent them an email just now concerning this. So I guess for now these things are coming down :(

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the issue?

#reefsquad
#mods
#apexusers
How big is the circuit that your tank is on, and what else is plugged into it?

Can you screen shot the power draw from your Apex power bars from Fusion? I would be curious to see what kind of power you were drawing through the circuit when they trip your breaker.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try a different outlet from a different group?
T5's pull a lot of power that might overload your Amps on that particular outlet for your tank.
Also do you have them on your apex or not.
Remember the EB 8 or 4 which either you have are rated to a max Amp.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the above, 1,2,3,5,6,7 are for low amp and DC moters 4,8 are static and higher amps.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be time to replace ur gfci outlet as well.
I agree, if the EB8 is not cutting out then It may be the GFCI, if that is then next step then look at the more industrial 15A @Brew12 what are you thoughts?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, if the EB8 is not cutting out then It may be the GFCI, if that is then next step then look at the more industrial 15A @Brew12 what are you thoughts?
It started happening to me when I turned my halides on and off in fusion my gfci outlet would trip. It stumped me for a while because the gfci outlet was also 15 amp like the ebs then before I went on vacation I replaced the gfci outlets because well why not it's cheap and easy and haven't had that problem since. In my thoughts as I'm not an electrician but do claim to have some common sense When u turn something on it spikes the system for that brief second zero to a thousand in a nano second and that's what gfci are supposed to save u from. Plus it's a cheap and easy to replace and see if the problem goes away and it's not a bad idea to change the outlets out every so often as the do tend to fail.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the invite! Sorry I missed the call out to Reefsquad. I had a ton of alerts and this one must have slipped through.

+1 on the above, 1,2,3,5,6,7 are for low amp and DC moters 4,8 are static and higher amps.
This could be the issue. The low amp outlets use solid state devices (triacs) to turn on and off. Outlets 4 and 8 use mechanical relays and would be less likely to cause a problem. On the new Apex outlets they are all mechanical so if you are using one of these, you are good.

Might be time to replace ur gfci outlet as well.
I highly recommend doing this if your GFCI unit is more than a few years old. The newer GFCI's are much better able to filter out starting surges to avoid nuisance trips than the older ones were. Older GFCI's are susceptible to tripping from the inductive kick caused by the ballasts in T5 lamps.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the invite! Sorry I missed the call out to Reefsquad. I had a ton of alerts and this one must have slipped through.

This could be the issue. The low amp outlets use solid state devices (triacs) to turn on and off. Outlets 4 and 8 use mechanical relays and would be less likely to cause a problem. On the new Apex outlets they are all mechanical so if you are using one of these, you are good.

I highly recommend doing this if your GFCI unit is more than a few years old. The newer GFCI's are much better able to filter out starting surges to avoid nuisance trips than the older ones were. Older GFCI's are susceptible to tripping from the inductive kick caused by the ballasts in T5 lamps.

Thank you:)

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried plugging them into different outlets on my eb8s and eb4 and the same thing. I installed the 3 gfci's back in 2011 when I set up the 180. They are 15amp.

Tonight when I get home I'm going to try and hook them up to another gfci that isn't in use. I currently have everything on one gfci. I've never had issues with it popping before even with 3 250w halides and a 1000w heater.

BRS emailed me back and offered a suggestion on a fix and that they are sending me a return shipping label for them in case I can't get this figured out.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure I understand... you have multiple fixtures turning on at the same time, correct?

If so, I would try turning them on one at a time to see if you can isolate it to a single unit that is causing the trip. 2011 is a bit old for a GFCI and improvements have been made so it might be worth changing it out to see if that improves things.

You could also get something like this and plug it into a non GFCI. See if the light fixtures trip it.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shock-Bust...-Single-to-Single-Yellow-GFCI-Adapter/1135923

If they don't, then changing out your GFCI receptacles should fix your problem.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure I understand... you have multiple fixtures turning on at the same time, correct?

If so, I would try turning them on one at a time to see if you can isolate it to a single unit that is causing the trip. 2011 is a bit old for a GFCI and improvements have been made so it might be worth changing it out to see if that improves things.

You could also get something like this and plug it into a non GFCI. See if the light fixtures trip it.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shock-Bust...-Single-to-Single-Yellow-GFCI-Adapter/1135923

If they don't, then changing out your GFCI receptacles should fix your problem.

No they all turn on and off at staggered times. All 3 are barely on together for much time. The gfci was tripping when it was just the reefbrite on when I would try to turn the t5s on.

What is strange is that after I reset the gfci and everything comes back on the t5s will turn on and it runs fine.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they all turn on and off at staggered times. All 3 are barely on together for much time. The gfci was tripping when it was just the reefbrite on when I would try to turn the t5s on.

What is strange is that after I reset the gfci and everything comes back on the t5s will turn on and it runs fine.
I'm betting it's ur gfci outlet and it's old and tired and needs to be replaced

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 big ones and life will get better;)

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting it's ur gfci outlet and it's old and tired and needs to be replaced

Just so strange that 2 39 watt t5s triggered this with all the high wattage equipment I run.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so strange that 2 39 watt t5s triggered this with all the high wattage equipment I run.
Do you have the old classic Apex that uses a plug in wifi booster that uses your homes wiring to improve the wifi signal?
I use one of those kind of boosters and they can trip GFI plugs but I've never had it happen but I have read the reports of them doing that on Amazon.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the old classic Apex that uses a plug in wifi booster that uses your homes wiring to improve the wifi signal?
I use one of those kind of boosters and they can trip GFI plugs but I've never had it happen but I have read the reports of them doing that on Amazon.

I do have an apex classic but it is hard wired to my router.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an apex classic but it is hard wired to my router.
I'd hate for you to have to return the T5's.
There's got to be an answer to get it done.
Our town home was built in 2005 and I did have to replace the gfi in our master bath room, last year.
At least BRS in not going to leave you hanging, no matter what your final outcome is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back