OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hate for you to have to return the T5's.
There's got to be an answer to get it done.
Our town home was built in 2005 and I did have to replace the gfi in our master bath room, last year.
At least BRS in not going to leave you hanging, no matter what your final outcome is.

Yea I see want to make this work, when the t5s are on they make the tank look awesome lol. Getting ready to swap a few plugs around, after I watch big brother hahaha

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting it's ur gfci outlet and it's old and tired and needs to be replaced
I think this is the answer unless the T5 has a manufacturing defect.

Just so strange that 2 39 watt t5s triggered this with all the high wattage equipment I run.
Not strange at all. A GFCI has no way to measure total load. It is a little stranger that the ballasts in your metal halide lights didn't cause a problem.

The way a GFCI works, the hot and neutral run through a sensing coil. If the currents are matched, the magnetic flux are exactly canceled out since they are 180 degrees out of phase. If one line has more current than the other, its magnetic flux dominates and starts to generate current in the sensing coil. This is used to create the trip. So, a GFCI with 14 amps on the hot and 13.9 amps on the neutral reads the same as one with 0.1 amps on the hot and 0 on the neutral.
Where GFCI's can go wrong is during high frequency transients such as ballasts firing off to light your lights. If these high frequencies aren't filtered out properly it can cause a GFCI to trip. That is why I would try either using a new portable GFCI to test it or just replace your existing GFCI receptacles.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that I installed 3 gfci's behind the 180 I decided to plug my eb4 into another gfci on its own to see what the deal is. The only things plugged into my eb4 are my skimmer feed pump and 1 ehiem recirculating skimmer (the 2nd ehiem is plugged into an outlet so it's always on. In case of power outage the water won't go stagnant), under cabinet lights and 2 cooling fans and now the 2 t5s.

I plugged the eb4 into the other gfci and I light cycled the t5s on and off about 30 times. It tripped twice in the 30 cycles. The gfci I plugged into has had nothing plugged into it buy I do test it every 6 months.

So I left it plugged in and on my light schedule so we will see what happens here lol

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had the same issue when I got a brand new Aquatic Life T5 fixture (6 bulb, 6ft). Timer on the light would randomly trip GFCI. I spoke with Aquatic Life support, they suggested trying a new GFCI manufacturer, as some make their outlets with too much sensitivity (HomeDepot GFCI in my case, don't remember the manufacturer, maybe lighton?). I went with the one sold in Lowes and never had issues again. Give it a shot, it's a cheap test. If changing only 1 GFCI as a test, make sure you do the first one on the line if they are all in sequence.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue when I got a brand new Aquatic Life T5 fixture (6 bulb, 6ft). Timer on the light would randomly trip GFCI. I spoke with Aquatic Life support, they suggested trying a new GFCI manufacturer, as some make their outlets with too much sensitivity (HomeDepot GFCI in my case, don't remember the manufacturer, maybe lighton?). I went with the one sold in Lowes and never had issues again. Give it a shot, it's a cheap test. If changing only 1 GFCI as a test, make sure you do the first one on the line if they are all in sequence.

All 3 gfci's for the tank are on separate 20 amp breakers(I know, overkill lol)

I will be swapping out the gfci's here soon as well.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started my tank in April I think

I ran two 20 amp circuits to my tank and the gfci outlets I used were brand new in the box (not the most expensive ones)

Then one day the gfci outlets started tripping when I manually cycled on the halides.

As I said before I replaced them in June so three months it took for my gfci to go bad?? This time I bought the more expensive kind and haven't had a problem yet.

So I still beleive ur culprit is the outlets and not the lights

Ps u owe me dimensions on these lights and what's ur impressions

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasn't trying to rush my cycle so please don't assume that. I'm not new to the hobby and know patience is key. I was only asking a question...

I don't think it's overkill... I wish I did that for my setup.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank in April I think

I ran two 20 amp circuits to my tank and the gfci outlets I used were brand new in the box (not the most expensive ones)

Then one day the gfci outlets started tripping when I manually cycled on the halides.

As I said before I replaced them in June so three months it took for my gfci to go bad?? This time I bought the more expensive kind and haven't had a problem yet.

So I still beleive ur culprit is the outlets and not the lights

Ps u owe me dimensions on these lights and what's ur impressions

Yup, I'll get on that tonight. Sorry I've seen dealing with this issue. :/

I don't think it's overkill... I wish I did that for my setup.

I'm glad I did too, it leaves the door open to expand lol

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I did too, it leaves the door open to expand lol

national-lampoons-christmas-vacation.jpg
christmas-lights.gif
63adf6c7bba23ada26336b1f769a3dc7.jpg

:)

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No they all turn on and off at staggered times. All 3 are barely on together for much time. The gfci was tripping when it was just the reefbrite on when I would try to turn the t5s on.

What is strange is that after I reset the gfci and everything comes back on the t5s will turn on and it runs fine.
This has me thinking you need to replace the GFCI as well.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has me thinking you need to replace the GFCI as well.

Yea same here, stupid things. Lol

I'll make it a small project in the next few weeks. My weekends are pretty full coming up haha. Notably sofia's dedication and my brothers wedding.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echo!!

...echo....echo.....echo.....

Whoa, I have a tank build thread? Lol

Looks like I missed some posts, I'll respond here in a bit and I'm hoping to get an update up soon.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back