HybridAZN's 180 gallon build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by hybridazn, Jan 27, 2015.

1. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yea I see want to make this work, when the t5s are on they make the tank look awesome lol. Getting ready to swap a few plugs around, after I watch big brother hahaha

GoVols and Brew12 like this.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club Partner Member 2018

I think this is the answer unless the T5 has a manufacturing defect.

Not strange at all. A GFCI has no way to measure total load. It is a little stranger that the ballasts in your metal halide lights didn't cause a problem.

The way a GFCI works, the hot and neutral run through a sensing coil. If the currents are matched, the magnetic flux are exactly canceled out since they are 180 degrees out of phase. If one line has more current than the other, its magnetic flux dominates and starts to generate current in the sensing coil. This is used to create the trip. So, a GFCI with 14 amps on the hot and 13.9 amps on the neutral reads the same as one with 0.1 amps on the hot and 0 on the neutral.
    Where GFCI's can go wrong is during high frequency transients such as ballasts firing off to light your lights. If these high frequencies aren't filtered out properly it can cause a GFCI to trip. That is why I would try either using a new portable GFCI to test it or just replace your existing GFCI receptacles.

3. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Being that I installed 3 gfci's behind the 180 I decided to plug my eb4 into another gfci on its own to see what the deal is. The only things plugged into my eb4 are my skimmer feed pump and 1 ehiem recirculating skimmer (the 2nd ehiem is plugged into an outlet so it's always on. In case of power outage the water won't go stagnant), under cabinet lights and 2 cooling fans and now the 2 t5s.

I plugged the eb4 into the other gfci and I light cycled the t5s on and off about 30 times. It tripped twice in the 30 cycles. The gfci I plugged into has had nothing plugged into it buy I do test it every 6 months.

So I left it plugged in and on my light schedule so we will see what happens here lol

4. Reefer1978

Reefer1978 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Had the same issue when I got a brand new Aquatic Life T5 fixture (6 bulb, 6ft). Timer on the light would randomly trip GFCI. I spoke with Aquatic Life support, they suggested trying a new GFCI manufacturer, as some make their outlets with too much sensitivity (HomeDepot GFCI in my case, don't remember the manufacturer, maybe lighton?). I went with the one sold in Lowes and never had issues again. Give it a shot, it's a cheap test. If changing only 1 GFCI as a test, make sure you do the first one on the line if they are all in sequence.

hybridazn likes this.
  5. hybridazn

All 3 gfci's for the tank are on separate 20 amp breakers(I know, overkill lol)

I will be swapping out the gfci's here soon as well.

GoVols, Brew12 and Reefer1978 like this.
  6. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

I started my tank in April I think

I ran two 20 amp circuits to my tank and the gfci outlets I used were brand new in the box (not the most expensive ones)

Then one day the gfci outlets started tripping when I manually cycled on the halides.

As I said before I replaced them in June so three months it took for my gfci to go bad?? This time I bought the more expensive kind and haven't had a problem yet.

So I still beleive ur culprit is the outlets and not the lights

Ps u owe me dimensions on these lights and what's ur impressions

GoVols, hybridazn and Brew12 like this.
  7. Reefer1978

I don't think it's overkill... I wish I did that for my setup.

GoVols and hybridazn like this.
  8. hybridazn

Yup, I'll get on that tonight. Sorry I've seen dealing with this issue. :/

I'm glad I did too, it leaves the door open to expand lol

justingraham, GoVols and Brew12 like this.
  9. Reefer1978

Yoda sees 400 gallons in your future....

prsnlty, hybridazn and GoVols like this.
  10. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

national-lampoons-christmas-vacation.jpg
    christmas-lights.gif
    63adf6c7bba23ada26336b1f769a3dc7.jpg

:)

5altkreep, HolisticBear and hybridazn like this.
  11. hybridazn

Haha 300, in the next couple years hopefully :)

Rofl!

prsnlty and Reefer1978 like this.
  12. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

This has me thinking you need to replace the GFCI as well.

GoVols and hybridazn like this.
  13. hybridazn

Yea same here, stupid things. Lol

I'll make it a small project in the next few weeks. My weekends are pretty full coming up haha. Notably sofia's dedication and my brothers wedding.

prsnlty and GoVols like this.
  14. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Congrats

prsnlty likes this.
  15. tommyhere

tommyhere Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Hey george, I'm about to order these besides the gfci flipping due u like them, are they what u expected?

prsnlty and GoVols like this.
  16. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Echo!!

...echo....echo.....echo.....

HolisticBear, GoVols and Tahoe61 like this.
  17. hybridazn

Whoa, I have a tank build thread? Lol

Looks like I missed some posts, I'll respond here in a bit and I'm hoping to get an update up soon.

HolisticBear, Brew12 and GoVols like this.
  18. GoVols

....:rolleyes:
    ........... :D

Lol
    Thank You :)

HolisticBear, mdbannister and Brew12 like this.
  19. tommyhere

tommyhere Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Hahahaha

GoVols likes this.
  20. s2nhle

s2nhle Valuable Member

Can't wait to see your latest update!

Draft saved Draft deleted