Hydor Koralia nano 425 gph on 75 gallon reef tank

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 75 gallon tank, no corals yet but it's going to eventually be a softy tank. Right now all I have is an aqueon 950 powerhead at the top middle on the side of the tank. It's kinda big and kinda ugly and it doesn't really give me the flow I'd like to see. I'm thinking of getting 4 hydor Koralia 425's since I can get a good deal on some but I don't know enough about flow to know if this is a good idea. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a gyre xf350 but can't afford that for now. I was planning on putting them at the top in each corner pointing down the length of the tank to get good surface agitation and because I also read and saw a video showing how that created an effect similar to a gyre, just not exactly the same. Would this be too much flow? Not enough? Also how durable and long lasting are these pumps?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at korallia evos instead of the nano ones.

I had 2 of the 580 and one 425 on my 20 gallon. Was barely enough flow. On a 4 foot tank i do not think this will be enough to create a suitable flow pattern. Evos are not that much larger and definitely smaller than those aqueon ones.

I still use the nanos in my mixing container. They are 4 or 5 years old.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a single Nero 5 on an 80 shallow 48x24x16 and get more than enough flow at 45%, at 100 % they will do upto 3000gph and are smaller then the profile of one of those pumps. For the price you cant beat it , it will scale up/down with any tank , and the ease of use and actual wave mode make my tanks tenants very happy. I have a bunch of hydor 's was using 2 800s on the "wave" machine for years, awesome pumps just not the same , the flow is super duper wide and almost no velocity past 1' all four wont make a gyre. BRS did a whole video on this exact subject the nero was not tested though I dont think it was out at the time , but I promise its outa this world , just dont have mega small fish some people say, mine have been fine including a tail spot that is small enough to be made into a snack. they do sell a 3d printed gaurd for that though. what lights you have ?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just for perspective on the regular ones I have a 75g 4' long and I have 2 of the 1950 and they barely get to the end of the tank. I wanted kinda the same effect your talking about and ran them on opposite sides off set and one higher than the other with smaller ones on opposite sides to get opposite flow in each direction but at varied levels and distances. I have some corals and nems in it and they seem to get a good flow throughout;)

I'm not sure the 425 will give you exactly what you want. But turn over wise with your return pumps you should be fine for softies and lps but some sps will want more flow and random if possible.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the BRS video on the gyre function. I'll be having smaller fish, cardinals, firefish gobies, clowns etc. Largest fish will be a tamini Tang. The 2 cardinals and 2 firefish as well as 3 cleaners are already in there. Rn for lights all I have is a 48 inch Fluval aquasky so I'll be adding better lighting later.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So
Just for perspective on the regular ones I have a 75g 4' long and I have 2 of the 1950 and they barely get to the end of the tank. I wanted kinda the same effect your talking about and ran them on opposite sides off set and one higher than the other with smaller ones on opposite sides to get opposite flow in each direction but at varied levels and distances. I have some corals and nems in it and they seem to get a good flow throughout;)

I'm not sure the 425 will give you exactly what you want. But turn over wise with your return pumps you should be fine for softies and lps but some sps will want more flow and random if possible.
So for filtration I've got a marineland magniflow 360. Largest filter I could comfortably fit under my stand. Cabinet doesn't really have room to build a proper sump

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you wont be running that kinda flow that would suck anybody in in my opinion , that pump will control with the same app as AI lights should you go that route in the future.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So

So for filtration I've got a marineland magniflow 360. Largest filter I could comfortably fit under my stand. Cabinet doesn't really have room to build a proper sump
Canister filters are a different ball game. I cant have a sump and run 2 tanks with canisters.

What have you done to the inside of the canister for biological filtration?

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are a different ball game. I cant have a sump and run 2 tanks with canisters.

What have you done to the inside of the canister for biological filtration?
Rn it's just what came in the box but I'll be removing the carbon sponge at the bottom tray and replacing it with bio media. Probably some Fluval ceramic rings because I can buy a box of that for like $6 (I get employee discounts from my workplace it's not just garbage in a box for that price lol) until I get around to getting something with more surface area

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rn it's just what came in the box but I'll be removing the carbon sponge at the bottom tray and replacing it with bio media. Probably some Fluval ceramic rings because I can buy a box of that for like $6 (I get employee discounts from my workplace it's not just garbage in a box for that price lol) until I get around to getting something with more surface area
Everyone runs them different. I try to take a more natural approach and dont use chemi pures or purigen or charcoal unless needed as emergency removal of toxins.

Ya I tore everything out of mine and just put the bio rings/media in. I only have filter floss on top of the first chamber and the very bottom of the last chamber, nothing stopping water flow through the inside.

Also check out the new quarts rings instead of ceramic. They dont break down like ceramic in the canisters and they are more porous so they hold more bacteria.

I almost went with marinland but ended up with fluvals due to a sale I couldn't pass up lol

I ended up adding a HOB skimmer which helps a ton! I also have a HOB Refuge, which some will say the skimmer defeats the purpose but they are on opposite sides of the tank and my pods are already going CRAZY!

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone runs them different. I try to take a more natural approach and dont use chemi pures or purigen or charcoal unless needed as emergency removal of toxins.

Ya I tore everything out of mine and just put the bio rings/media in. I only have filter floss on top of the first chamber and the very bottom of the last chamber, nothing stopping water flow through the inside.

Also check out the new quarts rings instead of ceramic. They dont break down like ceramic in the canisters and they are more porous so they hold more bacteria.

I almost went with marinland but ended up with fluvals due to a sale I couldn't pass up lol

I ended up adding a HOB skimmer which helps a ton! I also have a HOB Refuge, which some will say the skimmer defeats the purpose but they are on opposite sides of the tank and my pods are already going CRAZY!
I only do the floss on the top but now that you mention it maybe I'll try the bottom too. I saw these balls of pomace stone or something that are supposed to be absolutely insanfe with surface area but can't remember what they're called. I have an Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB for my tank. Broke in within an hour and does a good job so far. I'm considering building a refugium for funsies off to the side but I've got about 3 inches of clearance from the wall (didn't think through that bit properly and now it's full of water but it's working so far lol) as of right now I don't think I need a refugium until I start having issues. Money definitely IS an object for me and so is energy so I'd rather focus on more must haves and tweaks rather than extra projects. I did add some crushed up eggshell to the filter in the hopes it would raise my calcium for better Coraline algea growth and my tests have shown an increase in levels so that's in there too.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, guy at my LFS told me I could get away with 2 sicce Voyager nano 270s but that seems pretty low. Anybody have input? I could also go the route of just buying the hydor koralia 850s from there but have for go any kind of discount. But I'd rather pay more for something that works than get a discount on something that doesn't.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so update: I went to my LFS and bought an Evo 850. I want a second one to replace my aqueon 750 (I think it's big and ugly and a little loud) but didn't want to spend the money today. Guy at my LFS when asked how long they last said he's "had them last half a decade, also had them shut down after 2 months" but he's a younger guy and based on some of the other things he's told me in the past I really question how much he cleans his equipment. Cleaning them monthly with white vinegar should keep them running for a long time right? At least more than 2 months reliably?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean pumps in cititric acid not vinegar :) will help them last longer :)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I buy in powder form. Try your grocery store where they keep canning supplies.
If not amazon has for pretty cheap id skip the aquarium specific ones. Why pay more lol.

Back