Hydor Koralia's & Tunze 9004 Skimmer

Are The Hydor Koralia's Worth Buying?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get __________ Instead (comment below)

• Junk!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted a few times about this but I'm not getting any responses. I am setting up a 40B DT with 20T sump for a SPS dominant reef tank. I am going to be placing an order for remaining equipment that I need but I'm looking for feedback and opinions on the following:

- Hydor Koralia Powerheads
- Tunze 9004 Comline DOC Skimmer

I don't want to buy the Koralia's if they are not reliable, I would rather spend a little more and get something that I know will last and be worth the investment. If you don't reccomend these, what do you recommend?

I'm not sure if the Tunze 9004 is a good enough skimmer for my setup. I want to save as much room in sump as possible due to wanting a refugium but if the skimmer won't be enough in conjunction with fuge then I want to plan accordingly prior to setting everything up.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with skimmers for a tank that size so I’ll let the people with experience help you there.

As for the Hydors they are pretty good and last. But I would recommend you look at the Current USA E-Flux waves. You can do a full kit plus a second pump for your set up for approximately $150 and have controllability as well as different flow patterns s just a constant flow. A Ocean like movement with varied flow from the E-flux pumps and many other DC controllable pumps is best for a SPS dominant tank.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the hydors controllable?
No not on there own, you would need a separate wave controller at $100 and Hydors make a god awful click every time they power on and off. I did this to start and within a hour I pulled them off the controller as I heard them throughout the house and it drove me nuts.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not on there own, you would need a separate wave controller at $100 and Hydors make a god awful click every time they power on and off. I did this to start and within a hour I pulled them off the controller as I heard them throughout the house and it drove me nuts.

I love my tunze I think 6055. Crazy power and dead silent

Sounds like I should just spend some extra money on the Tunze 6040 I was originally planning to get. I will check out the Current ones though before making a final decision. Tunze 6040 is $150each so if I can find 2 powerheads and a controller for the same price that are still reliable, I would rather buy those for now.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also looking at the Sicce Voyager 4 pack with 2 powerheads and the controller for $225. You guys know anything about them?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a little no to the Current USA E-Flux waves I think would be perfect for your tank. Complete control and you can turn the pumps way down and save a ton on electricity and not effect the performance and reusable if you move into a larger tank one day. All for about $165 or less if you went down to a smaller pump.
Kit with controller:
https://www.aquacave.com/current-usa-eflux-wave-pump-kit-1-050-gph.html

2nd e-flux wave
https://www.aquacave.com/water-pump...eflux-1-050-gph-accessory-wave-pump-only.html

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to the suggestions with the Skimz SS 6.0; noiseless, several programs, up to 1585 gph, small size - just about everything you'd want for a 40B and they have good customer service. About $90 and I've seen them on sale from time to time.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to the suggestions with the Skimz SS 6.0; noiseless, several programs, up to 1585 gph, small size - just about everything you'd want for a 40B and they have good customer service. About $90 and I've seen them on sale from time to time.

I started looking at these after seeing your comment and I must say I'm impressed by what is advertised. Sold with the controller, wirelessly connects to additional controllers for Master/Slave connection, reasonably priced, and from a BRS trusted brand. The SS9.0 states it can move up to 2370gph, which is more than I would ever need in a 40B, and is only $10 more than the SS6.0 so I may just buy them instead. That way, if I do decide to upgrade to something bigger in the future, they will still be capable of 50X turnover on 100gal at max.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started looking at these after seeing your comment and I must say I'm impressed by what is advertised. Sold with the controller, wirelessly connects to additional controllers for Master/Slave connection, reasonably priced, and from a BRS trusted brand. The SS9.0 states it can move up to 2370gph, which is more than I would ever need in a 40B, and is only $10 more than the SS6.0 so I may just buy them instead. That way, if I do decide to upgrade to something bigger in the future, they will still be capable of 50X turnover on 100gal at max.

Sounds smart to do it that way and flow rate is easy to adjust. Don't know if more powerful model is larger in size and that may not be a consideration.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back