Hydor Slim Skim Nano Skimmer - NOISY

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I realize that this is going to be a very subjective post, but wanted to see other's opinions on this skimmer.

I purchased the Hydor Slim Skim Nano for my Waterbox AIO 30.2.
It fits great in the back sump chamber and was quite easy to assemble.

The issue I am having is that my unit seems to be extremely noisy. There is a very noticeable low frequency vibration / hum that I can hear in other rooms in my house.
It has only been running a day or two, but it is so noisy that I am considering running it only a few hours a day.

What have other people experienced with this skimmer?
Do you find it noisy?
Does it quieten down once it "breaks in".... not sure if this is even a thing :)

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I realize that this is going to be a very subjective post, but wanted to see other's opinions on this skimmer.

I purchased the Hydor Slim Skim Nano for my Waterbox AIO 30.2.
It fits great in the back sump chamber and was quite easy to assemble.

The issue I am having is that my unit seems to be extremely noisy. There is a very noticeable low frequency vibration / hum that I can hear in other rooms in my house.
It has only been running a day or two, but it is so noisy that I am considering running it only a few hours a day.

What have other people experienced with this skimmer?
Do you find it noisy?
Does it quieten down once it "breaks in".... not sure if this is even a thing :)
They are very quiet skimmers, check the impeller to see if it is damaged in any way. Also check if there is any excessive bubbles going into it.

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very quiet skimmers, check the impeller to see if it is damaged in any way. Also check if there is any excessive bubbles going into it.
Thanks for the note.
I have taken the skimmer apart and have noticed that the impeller seems to be making the loud hum and rattling noise. Not really sure how to quieten it, but will try a few things

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the note.
I have taken the skimmer apart and have noticed that the impeller seems to be making the loud hum and rattling noise. Not really sure how to quieten it, but will try a few things
Is the impeller separated? Pic?

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the impeller separated? Pic?
the green impeller piece, the magnet, and the little green washer on the bottom were all separate... if thats what you mean.
IMG_7183.jpg

I did try applying a spot of glue to keep the magnet on the sleeve and the little washer on the end of the magnet.

When i reassembled the impeller / cage / motor it still makes the rattling noise... so not sure if the impeller assembly is moving around too freely

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the green impeller piece, the magnet, and the little green washer on the bottom were all separate... if thats what you mean.
IMG_7183.jpg

I did try applying a spot of glue to keep the magnet on the sleeve and the little washer on the end of the magnet.

When i reassembled the impeller / cage / motor it still makes the rattling noise... so not sure if the impeller assembly is moving around too freely
Message me your email and I will have customer service reach out to you and get a new impeller

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Message me your email and I will have customer service reach out to you and get a new impeller
Thats very kind of you Bob.

Do you think there is anything that I can try before replacing the impeller?
I'm assuming I am not missing some piece, certainly doesnt look that way according to the documentation.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats very kind of you Bob.

Do you think there is anything that I can try before replacing the impeller?
I'm assuming I am not missing some piece, certainly doesnt look that way according to the documentation.
No, I think it is the impeller

kukawskim80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in contact with Hydor Support and they are sending a new impeller...

Im having the exact same problem. How did you get in contact with hydro? Everytime I try to email them I get an error message on their website. I've tried multiple devices.

Back