Hydra 26HD owners - I want you!

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I’ve never had my red led setting above 10% because I’ve heard many say it encourages nuisance algae etc. Today though I was adjusting with the setting in my app and ramped that red right up. I couldn’t believe how much the fish pop under it! More so the flasher wrasse. His red body was intense. After seeing this I just couldn’t help but want to leave the red a lot higher than 10% because it made a HUGE difference. Question is... is it advisable to do so? Or is the nuisance algae theory a thing?

Regards,
Dan.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know on the David saxby program he has his reds ramp up. His and the AB+ schedule are probably the two most sought after programs. AB+ doesnt utilize red or green over 10% though. It's definitely something you can try and if you see algae starting to appear more than normal ramp it back down. But I'm currently running the BRS AB+ with great results.

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know on the David saxby program he has his reds ramp up. His and the AB+ schedule are probably the two most sought after programs. AB+ doesnt utilize red or green over 10% though. It's definitely something you can try and if you see algae starting to appear more than normal ramp it back down. But I'm currently running the BRS AB+ with great results.

Thanks for this. I’m going to give it a try. The spectrum it gave the tank was beautiful imo. I’m far from educated on the whole lighting subject but I have always thought, if the red LED doesn’t do anything other than cause problems, why would we have a red LED at all in the unit. I can’t help but question it because it makes little to no sense.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I’m going to give it a try. The spectrum it gave the tank was beautiful imo. I’m far from educated on the whole lighting subject but I have always thought, if the red LED doesn’t do anything other than cause problems, why would we have a red LED at all in the unit. I can’t help but question it because it makes little to no sense.
Corals do utilize red and green spectrum, @Dana Riddle could elaborate on it more than I. So you do want some red in your spectrum. But I think turned up too high it allows pest algae growth.

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use David saxbies schedule in my tank, I’ve noticed ALOT more growth and coloration then compared to the AB+ schedule.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always ran the red and greens with hydras the same level as the whites because I saw more colors with livestock in general as you said. I always found reducing red for algae not needed, I mean we have grazers for algae control and it’s not like we are adding a great deal more power by having some red LEDs on. Even at the level of the whites they are still run pretty low compared to blues for the most of us.

Honeslty I feel just adjust the light where you like looking at the tank and then leave it. The levels, if in the PAR range you are after, are not going to make or break a tank. It's just not that big of a deal.

Ray 713

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are these various light schedules that keep getting mentioned? I’m a new owner of a Hydra 26 HD and has my LFS guy set it up.
Thanks

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A3FA07D7-B5BC-490F-BE07-17DC32611813.jpeg
D6531D5C-9BBE-432F-A5A7-C1F3435486AF.jpeg
8D95FFB6-7E87-4891-9CEF-56CC3955DA0F.jpeg
700C4C79-7BCC-4E83-B448-E104A55604CF.png
5F797C2C-2C95-4CB6-A286-32B83FB4A982.png

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s your tank coming along Dan? Did any of your sps recover?

My tank overall is doing great. I completely forgot the whole idea with SPS. As much as I love them I just can’t commit to such a thing right now. I have LPS and everything is taken of. I also have a RBTA which I’ve had for a few months now and that’s growing week by week. The beauty of LPS is I can relax more than I could with SPS.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank overall is doing great. I completely forgot the whole idea with SPS. As much as I love them I just can’t commit to such a thing right now. I have LPS and everything is taken of. I also have a RBTA which I’ve had for a few months now and that’s growing week by week. The beauty of LPS is I can relax more than I could with SPS.
That’s good to hear. Glad you have a stress free reef lifestyle. I kind of miss those days. I had 8 years of zero testing, almost 0 water changes, no expensive acros or supplements/equipment etc. It was just 2 clowns, acans, zoas, and a 1 Montipora.

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to hear. Glad you have a stress free reef lifestyle. I kind of miss those days. I had 8 years of zero testing, almost 0 water changes, no expensive acros or supplements/equipment etc. It was just 2 clowns, acans, zoas, and a 1 Montipora.

You see for me that is when it becomes a hobby. If it’s demanding it takes a way a lot of the pleasure for me personally. I want to look at it and admire it but not be dealing with chemistry every day or so. Yeah I’m lazy lol. I have a chaeto reactor in my sump which is harvesting a good amount per month. My nitrates are stable at 12 despite only doing a 25L water change per month. Honestly I wouldn’t like to jinx it but it just seems to be looking after itself at this point in time.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see for me that is when it becomes a hobby. If it’s demanding it takes a way a lot of the pleasure for me personally. I want to look at it and admire it but not be dealing with chemistry every day or so. Yeah I’m lazy lol. I have a chaeto reactor in my sump which is harvesting a good amount per month. My nitrates are stable at 12 despite only doing a 25L water change per month. Honestly I wouldn’t like to jinx it but it just seems to be looking after itself at this point in time.
Totally agree but I’m dropping off 8-10 frags today to a local reefer for $950. That feels pretty good too.

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree but I’m dropping off 8-10 frags today to a local reefer for $950. That feels pretty good too.

Wow! That’s actually impressive. That’s great that your commitment and dedication to your reef pays for itself! Succe$$

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back