Hydra 64

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nunoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have 3xhydra 64hd on my 500lts tank but can't find the best option to set up the lights for my tank size, I've checked the signatures but none have 64 anyone able to help please

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrum/intensity
Welcome to the forums! Sounds like a nice setup! You would probably get more responses if you pose the question in the lighting forum. Spectrum and intensity will depend on the depth of the tank and how close the lights are to the water. It will also depend greatly on what kind of tank you want as far as soft, LPS, SPS corals.

Good place to start are the BRS Hydra 64 videos of which there are several. The quick guide to setup and tuning of spectrum and intensity

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question for BRS investigates AI par and spectrum.. I have watched this vid numerous times, yet I have a different setup my tank is 220 gal I have 2 AI 64 and 2 AI 32's I have a par meter so Im able to adjust. However I want to keep this spectrum they layed out in the video. My par meter does not have a spectrometer so when altering these Im not sure im getting the spectrum.
My question is... if i reduce these settings based on my par needs, do i reduce each the same amount? Say I reduce Blue by 5 points, so i drop all the others by 5 as well? so my new setting would be CW 25 Blue 73 RY 73 Green 7 UV 73 V 73 and Red 7? and so on?? adjust equally? will this keep the spectrum the same?
I found in my tank I had to drop 13 points to be within the Par I need. which leaves me at CW 17 Blue 65 RY 65 Green 0 UV 65 V 65 R 0
fo some reason this doesnt sound correct to me with the red and green now at 0. I wish AI would allow you to adjust to this spectrum you want, then reduce intensity as a whole not each channel. Can someone please shed some light (no pun intended ) on this for me?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question for BRS investigates AI par and spectrum.. I have watched this vid numerous times, yet I have a different setup my tank is 220 gal I have 2 AI 64 and 2 AI 32's I have a par meter so Im able to adjust. However I want to keep this spectrum they layed out in the video. My par meter does not have a spectrometer so when altering these Im not sure im getting the spectrum.
My question is... if i reduce these settings based on my par needs, do i reduce each the same amount? Say I reduce Blue by 5 points, so i drop all the others by 5 as well? so my new setting would be CW 25 Blue 73 RY 73 Green 7 UV 73 V 73 and Red 7? and so on?? adjust equally? will this keep the spectrum the same?
I found in my tank I had to drop 13 points to be within the Par I need. which leaves me at CW 17 Blue 65 RY 65 Green 0 UV 65 V 65 R 0
fo some reason this doesnt sound correct to me with the red and green now at 0. I wish AI would allow you to adjust to this spectrum you want, then reduce intensity as a whole not each channel. Can someone please shed some light (no pun intended ) on this for me?
Interesting question since you will have no individual green/red if drop them equally. I think you there is a way to drop intensity without changing spectrum by using two fingers to slide up and down on the screen

Last edited:

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question since you will have no individual green/red if drop them equally. I think you there is a way to drop intensity without changing spectrum by using two fingers to slide up and down on the screen
Thats what Im thinking too. You go to the AI site and they talk light science and say Perfect spectrum blah blah but no where on the site does it give you the setting for that perfect spectrum. so i went to BRS investigates. so now I have spectrum but the par is WAY to high for my tank and when dialing down im down to 0 on some channels. makes no sense to me.
Im really thinking i may switch over to Ecotech since they do have an intensity setting. ;Facepalm realy hope someone has a good answer for this. PLEASE :)

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on this graph on AI site its saying the perfect spectrum is with ALL channels at 100% so if i lower ALL channels to the par I want i would assume the spectrum would stay the same. So now this is what confuses me.. BRS says perfect spect was 70 along v,uv,rb,b and 12 red/green and 30 white. hmmmm.... Ive looked at numerous schedules and I dont see ANYONE putting ALL channels the same so does that mean their spectrum is off? or does it REALLY matter how close to the spectrum as long as the most important channels like v,uv,blue and RB are the dominant ones?
hydra32HD_spectrum_plain.png

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends what you consider “perfect” spectrum. I tend to lean towards heavy blues with uv and violet and some white red green. Kinda just follows absorption spectrum for chlorophyll A I think?
Have you tried the two finger slide to reduce intensity without changing spectrum? You could also try the dial setting instead of the sliders and simply pick a spectrum and then just change intensity to the par you want

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends what you consider “perfect” spectrum. I tend to lean towards heavy blues with uv and violet and some white red green. Kinda just follows absorption spectrum for chlorophyll A I think?
Have you tried the two finger slide to reduce intensity without changing spectrum? You could also try the dial setting instead of the sliders and simply pick a spectrum and then just change intensity to the par you want
Dial setting? Where do I find that on the app?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dial setting? Where do I find that on the app?
When you go to edit the schedule the sliders pop up. Top right next to Done is the circle with the 2 larger circles. If you press that it will take you to an option to simply set the K and power level. You could tweak it from there if you wanted to go bluer than 20k. One thing you will find interesting is that if you drop power way down without changing the K it does indeed drop the sliders at higher levels more than those at lower levels. So even at 20k with 5w of power there is still a tiny bit of red/green/cw

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back