Hydrogen Peroxide dip for Aiptasia

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I just got some frags at a show today, dipped the frags in Revive at the recommend dosage. Swished them several times during the dip, inspecting them. A few bugs fell off but they all looked pretty clean visually. Except...

I got one frag, actually my son picked it out, I wasn't paying much attention, it was a large clove. But being dark I did not see it was covered in algae. I have read about peroxide and decided to dip in diluted peroxide and manually remove the algae.

To my surprise, it was covered in Aiptasia too and they came flying off. I've dipped in Revive and Coral RX before and seen aptasia fall off, but nothing like this. I had no idea it was a complete infestation. I almost threw the frag away but set up a small quarantine tank instead for this one frag.

My question is does anyone have an aiptasia problem? Could you try dipping in a commercial dip, then try a peroxide dip. See if it is more effective for aiptasia.

Following this guide I opted for 70ml to 1L
Screenshot_20221111-225952_Chrome.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass nems are relatively safe from chemical poison that people use for frag dips.
The good thing is that Their bodies are vulnerable to oxidation so H2O2 literally dissolves them in solution, which is certainly “more effective” for cleaning up a frag plug with aiptasia hitchhiking pests than Bayer et Al.

OP
OP
stoney7713

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Glass nems are relatively safe from chemical poison that people use for frag dips.
The good thing is that Their bodies are vulnerable to oxidation so H2O2 literally dissolves them in solution, which is certainly “more effective” for cleaning up a frag plug with aiptasia hitchhiking pests than Bayer et Al.
Thanks for that information, I think I will to start using it more. They certainly didn't fall off and wiggle like normal. They went blah...lol

I've never used Bayer, I know it's been common for decades, just not a fan of it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big fan of stuff that knocks out the pests, but I don’t really enjoy watching them wiggle, squirm, and die much. I always have to tell myself “better them than the acros, montis, acans or lps that I would like to see growing and thriving in the blue light district.”

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used 10 minute soak with a 10% solution of 3% peroxide. The body slime on Aptasia & coral protect them from peroxide as a strong oxidizer. For Aptasia, use a tooth brush to allow peroxide to dissolve biomass. It is collateral damage to algae and inverts: bristle worms, spaghetti worms, amphipods, copepods, & micro starfish.

AngryInch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive - bayer - rinse- short peroxide dip - scrub/pick - rinse - iodine on everything that goes into my tank.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some frags at a show today, dipped the frags in Revive at the recommend dosage. Swished them several times during the dip, inspecting them. A few bugs fell off but they all looked pretty clean visually. Except...

I got one frag, actually my son picked it out, I wasn't paying much attention, it was a large clove. But being dark I did not see it was covered in algae. I have read about peroxide and decided to dip in diluted peroxide and manually remove the algae.

To my surprise, it was covered in Aiptasia too and they came flying off. I've dipped in Revive and Coral RX before and seen aptasia fall off, but nothing like this. I had no idea it was a complete infestation. I almost threw the frag away but set up a small quarantine tank instead for this one frag.

My question is does anyone have an aiptasia problem? Could you try dipping in a commercial dip, then try a peroxide dip. See if it is more effective for aiptasia.

Following this guide I opted for 70ml to 1L
Screenshot_20221111-225952_Chrome.jpg
One liter of water to 300 ml of 3% peroxide

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that information, I think I will to start using it more. They certainly didn't fall off and wiggle like normal. They went blah...lol

I've never used Bayer, I know it's been common for decades, just not a fan of it.
Agreed. Even though it appears to be safe when used as directed, not a huge fan of casual use of insecticides. Their reputation precedes them for me. But I understand many use and swear by it as a dip.

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip peroxide full strength with zoas and euphylia. Going on 10 years in this game. I’ve yet to hurt anything other than algae and and hitch hikers.
When you say full strength, what is full strength?
I've mostly seen 1-3% bandied around with dilutions thereof, if the strength is even explicitly mentioned - odd considering that we check and relay parameters in the parts per million so often.

Not a dig, just curious. I've got some 50% w/w and I'd consider that reasonably strong.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say full strength, what is full strength?
I've mostly seen 1-3% bandied around with dilutions thereof, if the strength is even explicitly mentioned - odd considering that we check and relay parameters in the parts per million so often.

Not a dig, just curious. I've got some 50% w/w and I'd consider that reasonably strong.
Kudoes to your comment. Data needs to be detailed to be relevant to the reader, so that it can be duplicated. That is the scientific method, it should be able to be duplicated and for that reason, details are important.

Off the shelf, peroxide is normally 3%. At one time, I received 32% peroxide, so instead of a 10% solution of 3% peroxide, I would mix a 1% solution of 32% peroxide concentrate. I might add that 32% peroxide is very caustic to your skin.

As a 10 minute dip, I have not found peroxide sufficient to eradicate Aptasia without the use of a toothbrush or injection needle. The same for coral, slime coat protects Aptasia from peroxide

PS: If I keep my decimals correct, a 3% mixture is
30,000 ppm.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back