Hydrogen Peroxide Dosing. 1 mL in 10 Gallons Is A Dud Against GHA

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response Lasse

Dan is used to my yelling he knows when to look past it or find a couple good snippets to test and chart

I can’t recall the last time in our work threads we dosed peroxide into the tank for gha and Dans experiment here is a good reinforcement as to why we don’t

we in the work examples prefer disassembly cleaning and then rasping then burning the clean surfaces, for the smaller tanks of course

larger tanks can just cheat and use fluconazole

Thank you very much for the response I do appreciate the perspective

one disagreement though: it is impossible to luck into ten years of logged work threads and emerge without any input on the matter. Our work threads though anecdotal comprise 100% of the procedural techniques everyone now uses. The scholars never gave anyone permission to use it from the start, their formulas said it was a tank killer and per tvan it still is.

we have established the list of known sensitives, known tolerants, working safe levels for all known corals and very strong predictability for outcomes before application. We have prevented no less than half a million bucks in reef rocks and corals from being smothered or thrown out
peroxide has been thanked for saving reefs vs killing them

Work threads are the current authority on peroxide in the reef tank, it’s the patterns that stand out from our opinions on the matter— I like how the patterns can be independently weighed even if my guesses about its chemistry are wrong

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never gave anyone permission to use it from the start, their formulas said it was a tank killer and per tvan it still is.
I have more than 20 years of using peroxide in fresh and saltwater, some of the UK reefers (@atoll and @najer) have the same according to saltwater. So the lack of knowledge was probable endemic to the other side of the Atlantic :D:D:D

Sincerely Lasse

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your experience in aquaculture industry is so valuable that’s really a fascinating profession Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more than 20 years of using peroxide in fresh and saltwater, some of the UK reefers (@atoll and @najer) have the same according to saltwater. So the lack of knowledge was probable endemic to the other side of the Atlantic :D:D:D

Sincerely Lasse
More like 30 years here but apologise accepted lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken, you mentioned peroxide use was akin to bleaching an entire reef substrate set into sterility, or thereabouts

Atoll seemed to agree, unless I’ve misread, implying only an oxydator was safe.

thats not an unpopular opinion either, after all on each bottle it’s marked antibacterial

id claim 80% of poll takers would agree it wipes a tank out, another 15% who wouldn’t agree are happy from participating in the work threads as a last resort, before giving up. The other 5% who wouldn’t agree it kills reefs have accepted repeating work outcomes in the example threads as stand in proof, but haven’t needed to use it.

I am 100% sure that in the reefcentral chemistry forum, where no challenges are acceptable, and no work threads are acceptable for posting and are fully invalid since they’re not PhD papers, they completely feel it will kill any reef that uses it. Man, that forum is so busy with posts nowadays too... people flock there for the good info clearly.

Disc-1 and TMZ from there agree with your assessment fully. Jonathan might have come around by now it seems, I watch him respond to occasional peroxide questions without banning folks and with remarks that don’t deny the existence of truly massive application and feedback threads. It’s easy to recall when work threads were being built and only a mere handful avail existed to counter the going claims from the chemists, the ban sticks loomed large. Seems to have worked out great for them.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to whether peroxide will.kill things in your reef be it algae bacteria corals or fish there isnt a simple yes no answer. IME that all depends on the concentration of peroxide administered, in what amount of water and different animals react differently to the % of peroxide plus the amount of course. I have witnessed anemones turn inside up due to their reaction to peroxide while other animals like fish seemed unaffected by the same concentration.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. anemones are on the sensitives list

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a personal anecdote, but I have a mushroom box that, inexplicably, became overrun with dinos. It was bad, but it was also the only spot in the tank with dinos. I drained the water in the tank so the box was exposed, and sprayed it down with a 1:1 mixture of H2O2 and RODI. The next morning it was literally SPOTLESS, and the mushrooms were all open and happy.

There’s an RBTA just a few inches from the box, and it was totally unaffected.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide saved my reef from gha loss but there’s one catch

35% lol on direct contact, not through water. A cheat burn.

I’d already lost one very old pico to gha I could not beat or control and when I found a thread on nano-reef.com and saw them using 3% I went to the health food store and bought 35% and nuked the hound out of the first spot I saw in my new bowl. This time, I didn’t wait for full tank coverage. First spot, obliterated

any popups thereafter, zapped. Unallowed. chemigrazed.

I got some all over my hand and it blanched white. After two hours of tingling I then messaged Randy asking if I’d caused nerve damage I can only assume he chuckled just once. Hand is ok and routine contact still burns me occasionally, 35% is what I wipe my glass down with on the inside when the water is drained. Prevents scratching and scraping... its mean old bullwater that’s for sure, steer clear of 35% unless someone is just darn fed up. And then wear goggles.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a personal anecdote, but I have a mushroom box that, inexplicably, became overrun with dinos. It was bad, but it was also the only spot in the tank with dinos. I drained the water in the tank so the box was exposed, and sprayed it down with a 1:1 mixture of H2O2 and RODI. The next morning it was literally SPOTLESS, and the mushrooms were all open and happy.

There’s an RBTA just a few inches from the box, and it was totally unaffected.
1:1 is meaningless without knowing the concentration of peroxide used in the 1:1 or have I missed something here?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide saved my reef from gha loss but there’s one catch

35% lol on direct contact, not through water. A cheat burn.

I’d already lost one very old pico to gha I could not beat or control and when I found a thread on nano-reef.com and saw them using 3% I went to the health food store and bought 35% and nuked the hound out of the first spot I saw in my new bowl. This time, I didn’t wait for full tank coverage. First spot, obliterated

any popups thereafter, zapped. Unallowed. chemigrazed.

I got some all over my hand and it blanched white. After two hours of tingling I then messaged Randy asking if I’d caused nerve damage I can only assume he chuckled just once. Hand is ok and routine contact still burns me occasionally, 35% is what I wipe my glass down with on the inside when the water is drained. Prevents scratching and scraping... its mean old bullwater that’s for sure, steer clear of 35% unless someone is just darn fed up. And then wear goggles.
Even low concentrations of peroxide on skin can turn the surface white. That's bleach for you see.

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 Which claim was false? What did YOUR test prove? I cleaned my rock with peroxide after reading a few of your theads. The rock stayed free of noticeable algae for a month then the algae grew back. Roundup=bleach=peroxide the complete effect long term on a captive environment is unknown. And people add it anyway. GHA has to be controlled through long term management. Give algae a place to grow outside the DT let it filter the water, add oxygen.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 Which claim was false? What did YOUR test prove? I cleaned my rock with peroxide after reading a few of your theads. The rock stayed free of noticeable algae for a month then the algae grew back. Roundup=bleach=peroxide the complete effect long term on a captive environment is unknown. And people add it anyway. GHA has to be controlled through long term management. Give algae a place to grow outside the DT let it filter the water, add oxygen.
Algae scrubbers are created by clean substrate, light, nutrient, tiniest presence of algae. That’s what peroxiding the rock does, very well.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can live with that assessment T

growback is indeed the challenge

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your GHA may well have grown back due to phosphate in the rock leaching out. The peroxide would only penetrate so far below the surface of the rock.

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A algae scrubber is only one part of my system. The algae grew back because the environment in the display promoted it. If the environment in my sump is better then my display the algae in the sump and scrubber out competes the display tank. And the algae in the display recedes.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own no test kits for reefing other than temp and salinity, po4 could be in full play and I would never know. Sixteen years in a fishbowl with lax cleaning high feeding and then all at once catch-up deep clean runs can be a solid case for po4 exposure to live rock.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A algae scrubber is only one part of my system. The algae grew back because the environment in the display promoted it. If the environment in my sump is better then my display the algae in the sump and scrubber out competes the display tank. And the algae in the display recedes.
By "environment" are you really referring to light?
I have 2 Orphek Atlantic V4s us a reef blue light bar and another all blue light bar of unknown make on my 5' reef. I did have some short growing GHA which has all but gone now. A combination of a nitrate reactor and GFO reactor brought my nuitrents down to low levels and my ATS is maintaining them so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back