Hydrogen Peroxide Dosing. 1 mL in 10 Gallons Is A Dud Against GHA

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump environment is a grow bulb for my waterfall scrubber over my sump. Three tubes of red lava rock 3 to 4 pounds. Holes through the tubs allow water through. Three 8" containers of quartz sand only the tops are open and water flows over. Two pounds of crushed coral. The waterfall scrubber breaks on the coral. The deep sand container for diatoms, denitrifying bacteria. The lava columns are for iron, nitrifying bacteria. Cushed coral is for calcium. In my ten gallon sump :)

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say from experience that H202 is highly effective against GHA, DINOs, and many other nuisances. You need to be dosing it correctly which it seems you didn't do. I currently am treating several tanks for Ich and Velvet following Jessican's guidance on Humblefish.com.

I had complete algae eradication at 1ml/10gal doing 3 doses per day at 7am, 3pm, 11pm. I had zero issues with coral, fish, and inverts dosing at 1ml/5gal 3 times per day as well. Even my newly established tanks are crystal clear and everyone wonders how I do it. My main display is currently testing 1ml/1gal and 7.5ppm concentrations for the community to target Ich, but algae wise you wont find a single spec. Glass cleaning is monthly.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was interested in algae scrubbers a while back I actually came to the conclusion that they produced excess H202 through photosynthesis and this was probably more important than allelopathy in the strange case of apparently outcompeting display algae, even though nutrients were plentiful. A natural peroxide dosing unit, if you will.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, folks should bear strongly in mind that hydrogen peroxide has the potential to greatly impact trace elements such as iron and copper in terms of bioavailability and/or toxicity.

if any of the effects people observe relate to these changes, then it may be reasonable for effects in one tank with one set of trace element forms and concentrations to be entirely different in another tank with different trace element forms and concentrations, even when using the same peroxide dose to try to kill the same organism.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people think about the BRS method of pulling rock or draining tank then using a spray bottle for direct application?

Personally, all my tanks use a chaeto reactor so I want to avoid dosing because I don't want to affect chaeto growth for nutrient uptake.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here's eighty reefs doing that trick long before BRS posted it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is missing a crucial step: pre removal of all target before spraying.

putting peroxide on a target tuft of algae causes death in the majority of cases of the tuft//then growback happens two weeks later over and over/the weakness of the peroxide isn't initial kill (when applied directly, agreed it's not very potent dosed into tank water) it's the growback. if someone take a steel tool/rasp/knife tip and surgically debrides the algae off the rock, scraping off holdfasts like a dentist does to plaque adherents on teeth, then applies peroxide to the clean condition rock surface, that's the most updated means of control.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you can pull the rock, spraying it, brushing it, and then dipping in left over water change water dosed with a high level of peroxide for ten minutes might do the trick.

But it might also kill all the bacteria which would sort of reset your overall long term cycle

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can see from the thread: peroxide doesn't hurt anyone's reef display cycle. that was one of the early findings/ironic findings discovered in the patterns from peroxide users. reef display surfaces are housed in insulating bioslicks that keep bacteria just fine/housed / during insults. even with scraping. peroxide is literally no harm at all to a cycle even in quite large test doses we've done.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I don't mean the loss of complete tank nitrifying bacteria. Again, I'm not sure I want to dose directly because of my chaeto reactors. Nobody really seems to know what would happen to macro algae with a schedule of peroxide dosing.

What I was referring to is that live rock that's been "seasoned" or "conditioned" for a very long time in a tank that's been through it's algae, diatom, etc pest blooms over the years get some kind of immunity to the typical pests over time as the bio film that forms on the rock resists them. That might be compromised in a spray bottle situation.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%

Back