Hydrogen peroxide to fight marine ich

nemlover91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a post that deals with having an up and running reef that has been infected with ich, that is not torn down or fish removed and treated. Post out break.

Once things are stabilized how to add new fish to the system? If you do the proper step of quarantining new fish treating them for possible illnesses but then add them to your infected system, how likely are they to still come down with the infection and die?
I had and currently have ich in my reef. I tried every medication known to man that is reef safe. Nothing worked except keeping the fish very well fed. Went through about two ich life cycles before I found the stress causing it. My tank was dropping about 2-3 degrees st night. Threw two extra heaters in the sump. Once it was fixed the fish got over it. Yes ich is still in the system. I have not had it pop up in about 3 months.... Find the source of stress and keep them well fed. Soak the food in vitamins. I use garlic and vitamin C on brine shrimp twice a week.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another +1 to this. I’ve tried it in the past, didn’t help. I overdosed significantly every day but I was very unscientific about my approach, admittedly.
I ran it for the first 6 days at 3× the recommended dose. The next 20 days i was putting double the recommended dose. I removed my carbon. It cleared up the infection in both tangs. The only fish i lost was my clowns who were being aggressive to one another.
I am not making any claim to it curing and eliminating the parasite, but it definitely suppressed it to the point that almost every fish survived and appears healthy as of now.
I wonder how uv would effect it if ran in conjunction with one another.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had and currently have ich in my reef. I tried every medication known to man that is reef safe. Nothing worked except keeping the fish very well fed. Went through about two ich life cycles before I found the stress causing it. My tank was dropping about 2-3 degrees st night. Threw two extra heaters in the sump. Once it was fixed the fish got over it. Yes ich is still in the system. I have not had it pop up in about 3 months.... Find the source of stress and keep them well fed. Soak the food in vitamins. I use garlic and vitamin C on brine shrimp twice a week.
What vitamin supplement are you using?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran it for the first 6 days at 3× the recommended dose. The next 20 days i was putting double the recommended dose. I removed my carbon. It cleared up the infection in both tangs. The only fish i lost was my clowns who were being aggressive to one another.
I am not making any claim to it curing and eliminating the parasite, but it definitely suppressed it to the point that almost every fish survived and appears healthy as of now.
I wonder how uv would effect it if ran in conjunction with one another.
What you witnessed was fish building up their own resistance, most likely.

nemlover91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What vitamin supplement are you using?
Kent vitamin C and kent Garlic extreme. Three drops of garlic and 2 drops of vitamin C. I take 1/2 cup of tank water. Drop a frozen cube of brine in cup. Then immediately put those supplements directly on the cube. I let the cube melt in the cup for 10 to 15 min then add to the tank. The garlic stimulates the feeding response and vitamin C helps boost the immune system. The main goal is to feed often different types of food. I was feeding three plus times a day. Flake food in the morning when lights come on. Nori when I got home from work. Brine at night. Keep the fish healthy and find the source of stress. Then you can manage the ich. Only way to fully rid the tank of it is by pulling all fish and treating with copper or tank transfer method. Then let the display sit for 10 to 12 weeks with no fish.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you witnessed was fish building up their own resistance, most likely.
Possibility. Although there was nochanges to the display , everyone was healthy and happy until i put the infected rock into my refugeum. That seems unlikely to have stressed them out. I had the clowns in there, and within 10 min they were going 8n and out the anemones. A couple of days later the infection broke out in both the refugeum and main display.

nemlover91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very easy to get Ich in a tank. As for the stress that could happen from many things. Could be as complex as finding a stray current in the tank. Or as simple as having a fish that is just plain skiddish. Almost ways a stress is the culprit of the disease coming out of no where. Keep excellent water conditions with minimal swings and keep them well fed. I have found now that pulling them from the tank can do more harm than good. Especially if it takes days to try and catch them out of a large system. If the habitat is great they will be able to manage it.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this to see how everyone's experience worked out. i have the same situation. 150 gallon tank. no way to get 13 fish without damaging/killing/maiming my corals. I had ich along time ago and went fallow, religiously QT's all my fish using Humblefish guidelines. I bought a small goni frag from a store that kept for sale fish in the same system. Within a week i had spots. Doing the same as mentioned here. Feeding a ton, running UV, hoping for the best. Hard to say if its getting better or worse bc of the ich cycle. I really want someone to tell me it is going to be ok

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this to see how everyone's experience worked out. i have the same situation. 150 gallon tank. no way to get 13 fish without damaging/killing/maiming my corals. I had ich along time ago and went fallow, religiously QT's all my fish using Humblefish guidelines. I bought a small goni frag from a store that kept for sale fish in the same system. Within a week i had spots. Doing the same as mentioned here. Feeding a ton, running UV, hoping for the best. Hard to say if its getting better or worse bc of the ich cycle. I really want someone to tell me it is going to be ok
Failure, even at 3x the highest recommended dose, done for 64 days.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap. Not what I wanted
To hear. Thanks for the reply.
I know but its the truth.
Fast easy and works method, go to wLmart, buy a hob filter, 2 large clear totes. Put saltwater from your tank and fresh mix, but lower salinity to 1.10. Put all fish in it for the next 96 days. Then return them to display.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one works if you hVe a smaller collection, the 55g ones for larger ones. If larger ones are used, double them up.

20200819_192729.jpg

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the humble fish forum and search for H202. Albeit anecdotal, there are a few folks who have claimed to eradicate ich using an in tank 3% H202 30 day dosing approach coupled with UV. One individual was even testing his tank with a Molly after the regimen and nothing showed up.

For me personally, I had ich show up in a tank with 13 fish. I followed the in tank H202 dosing approach and now none show spots. Also didnt lose either a fish or coral during the 30 days. I've even turned off my UV to see if it comes back and nothing. Is it a combination of lower population plus increase in immunity instead of full eradication...maybe. it was a lot easier than pulling all of the fish out of the tank to quarantine though. Another very important part to add is I'm fully stocked and don't plan to, and would not, introduce a new fish to my system as is.

@Humblefish will you chime in on the in tank h202 experiments?

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the humble fish forum and search for H202. Albeit anecdotal, there are a few folks who have claimed to eradicate ich using an in tank 3% H202 30 day dosing approach coupled with UV. One individual was even testing his tank with a Molly after the regimen and nothing showed up.

For me personally, I had ich show up in a tank with 13 fish. I followed the in tank H202 dosing approach and now none show spots. Also didnt lose either a fish or coral during the 30 days. I've even turned off my UV to see if it comes back and nothing. Is it a combination of lower population plus increase in immunity instead of full eradication...maybe. it was a lot easier than pulling all of the fish out of the tank to quarantine though. Another very important part to add is I'm fully stocked and don't plan to, and would not, introduce a new fish to my system as is.

@Humblefish will you chime in on the in tank h202 experiments?
Thats basically where I am. 13 small to medium fish in a 150. I do have a setup for QT with copper and one for TTM, but there is no way I can get all the fish out without destroying the reef. I too don't plan on adding any fish. Right were I want to be. I have read all of Humblefish's articles. I think I am going to at least try the peroxide treatment once I get a handle on dosage, etc. Probably start tomorrow evening. ich appeared about 10-11 days ago, and right now I am holding steady. Few spots here and there on the tangs. Nothing on anyone else. Fish acting normally, but I know that can be an illusion.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats basically where I am. 13 small to medium fish in a 150. I do have a setup for QT with copper and one for TTM, but there is no way I can get all the fish out without destroying the reef. I too don't plan on adding any fish. Right were I want to be. I have read all of Humblefish's articles. I think I am going to at least try the peroxide treatment once I get a handle on dosage, etc. Probably start tomorrow evening. ich appeared about 10-11 days ago, and right now I am holding steady. Few spots here and there on the tangs. Nothing on anyone else. Fish acting normally, but I know that can be an illusion.
Tangs will be the first to go. Add up the cost of them, and the cost of replacing them, after going fallow and treating the ones that survive. Its not worth the take the easy way approch.
As far as dosing try 1ml per gallon. That is a HIGH dose but if your going to try it its best to go as high as possible. The poly lab dose was 1 scoop per 10gal. Max of 3 scoops per 10gal for 10 days twice a day. I did 10 scoops per 10gal twice a day for 60 plus days. Saw a temporary decline in symptoms but after stopping treatment it came right back. I ran a 55w uv at the time too.
I spent over 1k in polylab medic and dosed 3% peroxide at the same time in my 270g system. And it failed.

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bpfor3 1ml per gallon is WAY WAY to high in a reef tank. No need to use polyp lab medic IMO, just 3% H202 you can get at any store for $2.

Here's the thread...

Obviously just to reiterate, results all anecdotal so proceed at your own risk.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M.O, you will not be able to eradicate ich once its in a system with hosts present unless you use non reef safe treatments /copper or chloroquine phosphate.

Garlic is a bandaid and long term can cause renal/liver failure over time useage, just keep your fish fat, happy and stress free, ozone and UVC usage will keep the number of active theronts down in the water column.

But unless you go fallow you wont get rid of it completely,

Feed heavy, reduce stress and in most minor on going issues it wont lead to the inhabitants demise.

Just my .02

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bpfor3 1ml per gallon is WAY WAY to high in a reef tank. No need to use polyp lab medic IMO, just 3% H202 you can get at any store for $2.

Here's the thread...

Obviously just to reiterate, results all anecdotal so proceed at your own risk.
Exactly and it still was a complete failure.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to give it a shot. 1ml/8 gallons every 8 hours. Just dealing with ich. Got another guy in my hometown doing it on a big system, so we are going to compare notes.

Seems to be working for him. Will keep everyone posted.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to give it a shot. 1ml/8 gallons every 8 hours. Just dealing with ich. Got another guy in my hometown doing it on a big system, so we are going to compare notes.

Seems to be working for him. Will keep everyone posted.
Have a secondary plan in place for yourself. After the 62 days of treatment i stopped dosing. Within a month another outbreak occurred. I pulled all fish out of my 180gal sps display, put them in 2 55gal totes with cupermine for a month then all fish went into a 275g tote with hyposalinity for the next 90 days. All new fish have gone through either chloroquine phosphate 4weeks, followed by 4weeks of hyposalinity or 4 weeks of hyposalinity if they cant handle chloroquine.

All new fish for my current 1200gal build will go through a safety stop bath then into hyposalinity.

Back