Hydroid ID?

jonnoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

I'm new to salt water and have a hitchhiker in my 10g nano reef that I am struggling to identify. The tank is a little over a month old and has 3 dwarf blue leg hermits, a Yellow Watchman Goby, and a candy striped pistol shrimp; all are eating well and the crabs seem to be molting weirdly regularly. The shrimp and goby are bonded and haven't left the rock they dug under after first meeting, but their favored entrance changes often.

Here's a link to video I took of the thing:

Fully extended it probably exceeds 1", but no longer than 1.5". Fully retracted I've seen it as short as maybe 1/4"-1/3". It definitely wanders but I have not seen it leave a 4 square inch area around the corner of my small internal chaeto box.

As I said I am very new to salt water but thinking maybe delicate hydroid? Anyone have ideas?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun...
not sure ..possible medusa worm??

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st time I see that small, I do love them ;)
Have black one and orange-white spots, but can't get which SP is this one. Leave it there (I don't know for any of them to be harmful, just look to be no pump after this section to be sucked in, if pump suck it, can produce some poison when it die, or it's stressed too much, and nuke your tank (that in very rare cases).
My black one love to climb on the glass and like your to collect whatever can.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the one ;)

IMG_4747.jpg IMG_4750.jpg IMG_4758.jpg IMG_4802.jpg IMG_4806.jpg

OP
OP
J

jonnoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you everyone! Crazy. It's the only thing I have effectively cleaning glass at the moment so it stays at least for now. Is the one in my tank a baby or do some species stay small? I'd be really interested to see it develop color like that black one!

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you everyone! Crazy. It's the only thing I have effectively cleaning glass at the moment so it stays at least for now. Is the one in my tank a baby or do some species stay small? I'd be really interested to see it develop color like that black one!
can't confirm mate, they exist in many different forms. can be small, can be baby one, usually they reproduce from splitting (one growed too big, split on 2 and regrow all the organs), I don't member do they reproduce sexually. But it look cool.
Can I ask you please to attach another photos and videos of it Please, I'm trying to figure it out what SP can be.

P.S. so rereading more the collected info I have, they do reproduce sexually

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back